Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson O-line taking fire
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 3,512

Clemson O-line taking fire

Nov 21, 2019, 8:09 AM

We were named one of TEN semi-finalists for the Joe Moore award, given annually to the most outstanding offensive line, and Greg McElroy is basically livid. He says we have no business even being on that semifinal list. While I agree that our unit has had a few rough moments and probably doesn't deserve to WIN the award, I believe that we are easily one of the top 10 lines in college football, and I bet Trevor Lawrence and Travis Etienne agree.

By the way, Greg, how is Tua feeling? At least our O-line did not get our QB killed.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apparently Greg hasn't seen these stats:

Nov 21, 2019, 8:16 AM

#1 in Line Yards
#4 in Std. Downs Line Yards
#1 in Pass Downs Line Yards
#2 in Opp. Rate
#4 in Stuff Rate
#3 in Sack Rate
#2 in Std. Downs Sack Rate

This OLine is elite and has the stats to prove it.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaaol/2019

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Snowflake Basher........Out

Prone to exaggeration much?....

Nov 21, 2019, 8:19 AM

Hardly livid. He just made a passing comment that our OLine wasn’t all that impressive compared to what was expected, just like you did. Sheesh.

OK, livid may be an overstatement but you need your ears

Nov 21, 2019, 8:38 AM

checked. He came back to it at least three times in a 10 minute segment. Check the tape.

Perhaps "indignant" or "incredulous" would have been a better word choice.

Then some of us would have to break out the dictionary***

Nov 21, 2019, 8:50 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Prone to exaggeration much?....

Nov 21, 2019, 1:36 PM [ in reply to Prone to exaggeration much?.... ]

I agree with the original poster. He went back later and repeated his statement.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

G-MAC is a smarmy pr!ck . . .

nm

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don’t understand the whole oline thing. I don’t know if it’s substitution,

Gelling, playcalls, or what. But last year if you’d have asked on here most would have said our line was subpar the first half if not 2/3 of the season. But then something magical happens this time of year and we absolutely obliterated nd and al at the line. So I don’t know about some award but like our chances of winning out.

Message was edited by: lovingit®

Re: I don’t understand the whole oline thing. I don’t know if it’s substitution,

Nov 21, 2019, 4:37 PM

Have pretty much the same perception of last year as you do; hoping for same dominating performance by the OL in the CFP as last year but wonder if that is a reasonable expectation, still shocked by how our OL easily handled both(ND & Bama) DLines-fwiw we faced more NFL level DEnds during previous year's regular season

Re: Clemson O-line taking fire

Nov 21, 2019, 8:20 AM

Surprise! Alabama guy. The salt is palatable from here with this one.

he may get to watch it from home this year***

Nov 21, 2019, 8:26 AM

They also continue to

Nov 21, 2019, 1:40 PM

list to runningbacks and continue to leave out ETN.

ETN is number 4 in the country in total rushing yards and averages more than 1.5 yards per rushing attempt than the closest other top back and more than 2 yards per rush than the other 3 they mention.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Nov 21, 2019, 1:42 PM

Only problem I have with the o line this year is way too many penalties. Seems like John Simpson has a flag every game

I thought they played pretty poorly in the first ~4 games

Nov 21, 2019, 1:42 PM

but have been great since.

There's a reason for early season performance by the O-Line

Nov 21, 2019, 1:56 PM

The staff INSISTS they meet the challenge...and a big part, early on, is running plays the opponent likely knows is coming. Dabo & Company want the line to learn how to impose its' will. It's been that way every season for...oh, at least the last five.

When you, as a staff, know your team out-talents your opponents, they have to create their own obstacles and challenges. Otherwise, when a stronger unit is across from them later in the season, how would they respond. That said...practices must be a doozy...so, the games are something of a relief, regardless!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I dont know. Part of me still thinks that would be a pretty

Nov 21, 2019, 2:07 PM

serious lack of awareness by the coaching staff to essentially toy around with opponents like A&M and nearly lose to UNC in a season where it was obvious going in that Clemson probably could not afford to lose a game and make the playoff.

We absolutely do experiment and play a lot of players early in the year, but i just can't imagine the staff going into a game (particularly a big OOC game like A&M) with the plan of intentionally calling sh*tty plays.

I think it's just more likely that some of our early season struggles are unplanned, legitimate, and things that the staff works hard to fix.

It wasn't a blanket statement...

Nov 21, 2019, 2:42 PM

But, for anyone watching games early on, you know the play that's coming...they're not opening the playbook. Oh, what the heck...I'm wasting key-strokes...

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: There's a reason for early season performance by the O-Line

Nov 21, 2019, 3:05 PM [ in reply to There's a reason for early season performance by the O-Line ]

Salty55 said:

The staff INSISTS they meet the challenge...and a big part, early on, is running plays the opponent likely knows is coming. Dabo & Company want the line to learn how to impose its' will. It's been that way every season for...oh, at least the last five.

When you, as a staff, know your team out-talents your opponents, they have to create their own obstacles and challenges. Otherwise, when a stronger unit is across from them later in the season, how would they respond. That said...practices must be a doozy...so, the games are something of a relief, regardless!

WEll said!
One need only look at how much higher our recruiting class is than some of our opponents. Not so much on the OL either. But, imposing your will when the opponent knows it's coming is a throwback p.o.v. Instead of "tricking" the DL you say; "i'm going through the B gap and your job is to try and stop it, hike"! It made them better and it exposed some of the young OL who probably thought they were ready. When you "get exposed" you can't settle. You can't sit back and relax. You can't get complacent.
Just like the Reporters all week asking questions that seem to be thoughtless as to what it might provoke in a player or coach - this game is about having the right mindset!
For example, a reporter asking Trevor if he thought about getting hurt. Or if he saw Tua's injury? And had he thought about what it might do to his draft stock? *See to me if you are part of this Clemson team you don't ask those type questions. You don't take your own people out of their game. That would be dumb and was dumb i.m.o. to ask. So to must coaches keep the players in the right mindset all year! The goal isn't just - beat Charlotte 49ers. If it was and that was Mission accomplished - what's left to motivate them?
If you have higher aspirations - you motivate them beyond where you expect. You look for those who will push to get there. YOu look for those who will grind and do the little things b/c you know it will make you better!

Good Post!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

McElroy is a Soulless Ginger Who Needs an Exorcism

Nov 21, 2019, 1:58 PM

He was a middling QB at best

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 21, 2019, 2:58 PM

The O-line has been a mixed bag this year. They are trending in the right direction but it's hard to judge them until they play some better comp.

Replies: 19
| visibility 3,512
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic