Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson & Music
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 2,838

Clemson & Music

Mar 21, 2019, 1:58 PM

Its pretty cool to think Clemson, SC has hosted The Rolling Stones, The Eagles, Pink Floyd, James Brown, Billy Joel, Ray Charles, Elton John, Count Basie, Duke Ellington, Louis Armstrong, Otis Redding and The Supremes, among others.

Ray Charles made several visits to Clemson early in his career. One story that is told occurred in the late 1950’s or early 60’s and involved Clemson football coach Frank Howard. Apparently, it was Clemson custom to allow the football players to select a band or musical group to play at a special party hosted for the football players and their dates at the end of the football season. The football team told Howard they wanted a little known musician by the name of Ray Charles to play at the event. Howard reminded the team that they couldn't host Charles in Clemson because of segregation circumstances at that time. The team was heartbroken. “But this is Ray Charles,” the team pleaded. Howard was moved by the team’s insistence and made arrangements to rent a club in Anderson that allowed blacks and whites to mix in a social setting. Charles was able to successfully break the color barrier and was on the road to stardom, appealing to both audiences.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Re: Clemson & Music

Mar 21, 2019, 2:06 PM

Don't know about all the others, but James Brown put on a great show, think he changed clothes about a dozen times and they were soaking wet every time, total energy

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 21, 2019, 2:28 PM

George strait also performed there in 1990s in death valley with a big show in country music as did vince gill at littlejohn

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

RATM, WSP, Eek-A-Mouse, Love Tractor, B-52s, Drivin' and

Mar 21, 2019, 2:19 PM

Cryin'

Rough Mix

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Re: RATM, WSP, Eek-A-Mouse, Love Tractor, B-52s, Drivin' and

Mar 21, 2019, 2:24 PM

Ozzy w/ Alice In Chains opening.

Fleetwood Mac as well***

Mar 21, 2019, 2:19 PM

U2. Summer of....’97, I think***

Mar 21, 2019, 2:30 PM

in The Valley

Mar 21, 2019, 3:22 PM

Ike and Tina!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You left out all of Southern Rock

Mar 21, 2019, 3:32 PM

which came through Clemson at one time or another, but particularly the early 70s!

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

...don’t forget The BOYs!

Mar 21, 2019, 3:46 PM

Beach that is!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ...don’t forget The BOYs!

Mar 22, 2019, 4:56 AM

And remember, the '67 Beach Boys show also had Buffalo Springfield (w/ Stephen Stills & Neil Young) - & 1-hit wonder group - Strawberry Alarm Clock.

Allman Bros - before anyone died - played LJ at least twice & drove up from Macon on their bikes. Seeing the whole band at their peak w/Duane was great.

Had a big show in '69 or '70 with Steppinwolf headlining & a bunch of other bands - a LJ mini-pop festival.

James Taylor played LJ in '73 (wife Carly Simon sat on front row).

Leon Russell played LJ in '73 at his peak. Wild show & 1 or 2 songs recorded there made his live triple Album about 6 months later.

My wife dragged me to see Kenny Rogers at LJ around 1980. He was at his height. Wasn't too bad.

Bob Hope did a show at LJ around '77/'78. The crowd was so great, he said, "Hey, we oughta come back here & do a TV special." About a year later, he did a special from 6 or 8 universities, & CU was one of the stops for the TV show. Kind of disappointing. The taping of a show required all house lights on & lots of waiting between takes plus reshoots.

Wonder if Carlin ever did his college standup show at Clemson?

Re: ...don’t forget The BOYs!

Mar 22, 2019, 9:37 AM

Remember Cheech and Chong doing standup in LJ and Jetro Tull being late and almost causing people to be trampled at the doors when they finally opened.

null

Mar 21, 2019, 6:18 PM

We had big bands for weekend dances in the early 1950s and a number of them were black and no problem.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Leon Russell and The Blackbirds...***

Mar 21, 2019, 9:07 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 21, 2019, 9:14 PM

alice cooper, chuck berry

In '71, I saw Chuck Berrry in LJ, and the opening acts were

Mar 22, 2019, 12:00 AM

Marshall Tucker AND Lynyrd Skynyrd!! What a show. Also saw Allman Brothers twice, before Duane died. Also in LJ, were Rod Stewart, Ike & Tina, Chicago, Deep Purple,

I saw all those and more from 69-72 in Littlejohn

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

When and where did Louis Armstrong play?***

Mar 21, 2019, 9:28 PM

Re: When and where did Louis Armstrong play?***

Mar 22, 2019, 10:45 AM

Don't know about Louis Armstrong, but Dizzy Gillespie performed in Tillman Auditorium around 1988 or 89.

Mar 21, 2019, 11:13 PM

the best concert I've ever been to was free at LJ. I went for extra credit in West. Civ. ( do they even teach it now). A men's choir from Norway, sponsored by the king. Everything A cappella. Amazing.

Any one triggered ? It was a sexist men's choir and sponsored by an evil monarchist. ; )

1980 or 81 Mothers Finest in LJ

Mar 22, 2019, 12:24 AM

I worked Crowe security!

Mar 22, 2019, 9:31 AM

Sting played LJ in fall of ‘85 when I was a senior.

Mar 22, 2019, 10:25 AM

Sting was also on the sidelines throwing around the football.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

U2***

Mar 22, 2019, 9:32 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 22, 2019, 9:59 AM

Killer Whales, 82, at whatever that bar was called on 123. Now it Tiger Fan shop.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Round Table. They had a "private" bar in the back

Mar 22, 2019, 7:43 PM

basement called "Under The Table". I managed "Bollwinkles" while at Clemson in the early 80's. We were on the other side of the KFC from The Round Table.

A scene from the 1973 movie "The Midnight Man" starring But Lancaster as a "college" security guard "Clemson" was filmed in The Round Table. They didn't use the name Clemson, I forget the name they used for Clemson in the movie. Cool shots of Tillman Hall, Riggs Hall, and the old intramural field (now the Soccer Field).

Mar 22, 2019, 8:02 PM

I don’t remember the years, but we saw Kool and the Gang, Hall and Oates, and Bob Hope in LJ. The best was the combined Billy Joel/Elton John on the field in DV...mid 90’s maybe. Fantastic.

Mar 22, 2019, 8:18 PM

Def Leppard back in the 80s.

Replies: 26
| visibility 2,838
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic