Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clelin Ferrell
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 1

Clelin Ferrell

Sep 21, 2020, 11:22 PM

I love cle missile and everything he did for Clemson but he is stuggling as a pro. He can’t get off any blocks and doesn’t have the speed for DE at the pro level. Maybe needs to just put on a bunch of weight and try to play more tackle. I wish him the best but I’ve been watching this mnf game and he has had zero impact.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Raiders defensive front has not gotten a lot of pressure

Sep 21, 2020, 11:41 PM

Brees is well protected and delivers the ball very quickly. He is a HOF QB who has had a long career, in part bc of his ability to get the ball away quickly.

Ferrell has been in on some tackles and I thought I saw at least one QB hurry.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." - Jackie Robinson

Re: Clelin Ferrell

Sep 21, 2020, 11:51 PM

I noticed that in the Panther's game last week. Maybe a new position might help. I think the problem in the pros are they are not any lanes for him to shot through and make a tackle like they are in college.

Most draft guys thought the Raiders really reached

Sep 22, 2020, 12:02 AM

taking him that highly and thought he should've been more of a mid-to-late 1st rounder. They may have been right this on this one.

Re: Most draft guys thought the Raiders really reached

Sep 22, 2020, 12:11 AM

Maybe , but the Raiders must be doing something right . 2-0 for the first time in seven years .

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 22, 2020, 12:11 AM

Someone thinks he’s doing alright...
https://raiderswire.usatoday.com/2020/09/20/pff-raiders-de-clelin-ferrell-highest-graded-defender-in-week-1/amp/

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 22, 2020, 12:28 AM

Pff is a joke. No one who knows ball takes them seriously

Can you send us link to your popular rating blog/scale?***

Sep 22, 2020, 1:03 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Can you send us link to your popular rating blog/scale?***

Sep 22, 2020, 9:13 AM

Yeah it’s almost like smoke purple and orange crush are the same coot and he carries on message board conversations with himself dogging out Clemson players. Sad existence.

just proves how much people on this site dont know about

Sep 22, 2020, 8:30 AM [ in reply to Re: Clelin Ferrell ]

football

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Sep 22, 2020, 5:47 AM

Yeah I think he will be a bust. He has had enough time. I am glad he got paid though. He seems like a good person.

Sep 22, 2020, 8:35 AM

I for one will not say he is a bust. He may need to change his approach but I think he and the coaches will figure it out.
I have been a Raiders fan for 50 yrs but if Carolina some how gets TL I may become a panthers fan.

Sep 22, 2020, 10:05 AM

I am a Raiders fan, so I am being harsh. Time will tell. I think if he doesn't figure it out next year he is toast. It did take him time at Clemson too though, so there is still hope.

I read where Cle weighs 275 lbs now...

Sep 22, 2020, 6:23 AM

And would be playing some at DT. I am sure I saw him line up at DT a few times.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hmmm not sure where you got that...he graded high last

Sep 22, 2020, 8:16 AM

week and seemed to do pretty good last night. Granted Raiders D usually does not get a lot sacks.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 22, 2020, 8:54 AM

I think the problem that most of us have is that we simply do not know what the Raiders are asking Cle to do. We do not know what responsibilities he has on each play. Therefore, it is hard for us to judge him. I will say, I never thought he was an elite pass rusher in college. I thought Vic and Shaq were better pure pass rushers than Cle. I was surprised he went 4th overall. The Raiders knew they were going to get someone that worked hard and set a culture of winning. 2-0 record so far.

agree. Maybe he is doing exactly what the coaches are

Sep 22, 2020, 9:09 AM

asking him to do.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: agree. Maybe he is doing exactly what the coaches are

Sep 22, 2020, 10:00 AM

Common fan focus solely on stats. And because Cle doesn’t have high sack and TFL numbers, then that means he isn’t playing well. But, that’s just not the case. We have no idea if Cle is being asked to set the edge, close up running lanes, take on double teams, stunt, etc. Dexter Lawrence didn’t put up great stats last year, but he was still one of the highest graded rookies. Cle starts at DE for a 2-0 football team. That’s what I do know.

Lawerence and Cle are only into the second game of their

Sep 22, 2020, 10:07 AM

second year. There is a huge learning curve from college to the NFL. I talked with a former NFL QB and asked him what was the difference between college and the pros. Without hesitation he said, "in college you only worried about one or two players, NFL, you worry about all of them."

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Lawerence and Cle are only into the second game of their

Sep 22, 2020, 10:25 AM

I have no idea what Cle stats are for any game. I just was watch him and on a lot of plays he would take the man blocking him one way and shot a gap trying to get through and there was always someone waiting on him and got blocked. Maybe that is there game plan with him to take up 2 blockers but the lanes that were there in college are not there in the NFL. I would expect they know how Cle plays and have an answer for that is all I am saying.

He's a DE that they used the #4 overall pick on

Sep 22, 2020, 1:16 PM [ in reply to Re: Clelin Ferrell ]

You only take a guy at that position that highly to do one thing... get pressure on the QB. I've read the same stuff.. that they are using him more at DT now and more against the run, but that's gotta be out of necessity, not out of desire. What they really want him doing is getting 10+ sacks and a bunch of QB pressures, but that hasn't really happened yet for him. He's still got time, but if he doesn't make strides this year his job will be in jeopardy in 2021 and beyond.

Are there many DEs in the NFL getting 10+

Sep 22, 2020, 8:49 PM

Sacks a season?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." - Jackie Robinson

Yes

Sep 23, 2020, 7:48 AM

Chandler Jones
Joey Bosa
Danielle Hunter
Miles Garrett
TJ Watt (3-4 edge rusher)
Aaron Donald (DT)

I think there are some others as well. Probably not too many guys, but that's what you are looking for when you draft a DE at #4 overall - not somebody that's going to move inside and provide run support.

Re: He's a DE that they used the #4 overall pick on

Sep 22, 2020, 10:02 PM [ in reply to He's a DE that they used the #4 overall pick on ]

Yeah, ideally you don't use the 4th overall to fill running lanes & occupy blockers

Sep 22, 2020, 2:01 PM [ in reply to Re: Clelin Ferrell ]

That PFF article (that "nobody pays attention to") wasn't empty praise--it acknowledged that he got outplayed by their #4th round pick last year.

But he has bulked up to play the run better. Occasionally from the DT spot he also provides pressure. And his rush must be there to prevent Brees from taking 5- and 7-step drops.

Part of Gruden's 'reach' for Cle at #4 was because of his character. He knew Cle wouldn't sit on his check, but would do whatever it took to live up to it. That implies that Gruden expected it to take time.

In the modern NFL, no edge rusher can rely on speed alone, and he isn't an island unto himself. He's part of a team, and he has many responsibilities.

Sep 22, 2020, 1:46 PM

Cle already made his money by being drafted too high at #4. It's all good for him whatever happens. I'm very happy for him.

Since I despise the Raiders, I hope he breaks through after moving to another team in 2022.

Sep 22, 2020, 8:37 PM

Raider hater huh? Is there a reason?

Sep 23, 2020, 3:43 AM

I grew up a Steelers fan way back in the day.

Sep 22, 2020, 2:44 PM

If anyone still watches NFL....you will notice that the raiders are playing Cle at DT and not DE. For whatever reason, I don’t know, but as posted, they are 2-0 and look like a great young team. To suggest that he doesn’t have the size, speed, and the athleticism to play DE is absurd! Ask saban.

Y Does Anyone Feed This Troll????

Sep 22, 2020, 10:48 PM

No peepee, likes doo-doo ice!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 23, 2020, 7:26 AM

OP, I hope you can knit because this is a waste of a thread, move along.

Replies: 30
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic