Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clearly, this stupid NAACP boycott hasnt
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 34
| visibility 1

Clearly, this stupid NAACP boycott hasnt

May 28, 2014, 8:17 AM

Prevented Black students or Black student athletes from accepting full Schollys or attending any of the SC state supported Universities or colleges.

If the ACC won't permit any conference sanctioned events to take place in SC, then I hope they also don't let any events take place in the state of Ga either. If those idiots haven't noticed, Ga's state flag is basically patterned after the Confederacy's flag.

Just shows how stupid these NAACP leaders are. Amazing they can pull paychecks. Political Correctness can be pretty profitable!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clearly, this stupid NAACP boycott hasnt

May 28, 2014, 8:27 AM

Georgia's current flag is similar to one of the Confederate Flags, but Georgia also changed their flag a while back. I think we should choose another Confederate Flag to put behind the monument.

That's not likely to happen....

May 28, 2014, 9:21 AM

The issue with the flag stopped being about the flag a long long time ago.

It's now become more a matter of one group being he!!-bent and determined that another group does not get its way.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

you are exactly right because as soon as a compromise was

May 28, 2014, 10:59 AM

reached to bring it down from atop the staehouse, the other side immediately began renegotiating for it to removed from the agreed upon location. I believe that is why it will NEVER be discussed again. You are only as good as your word......

You are right, a compromise was reached....

May 28, 2014, 12:33 PM

until one side realized the other was willing to compromise and it was at that point one side began to expand it's demands.

Personally I do not think the flag has any business on the State House grounds. It belongs in a museum.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't get all worked up over a flag either. If I want to

May 28, 2014, 12:54 PM

fly, I will fly it and if I don't I won't. I fly The American flag and The Masters flag on my house.

oh and last but certainly not least! A CLEMSON FLAG!!***

May 28, 2014, 12:58 PM

The state of Georgia redesigned its flag in 2001

May 28, 2014, 8:29 AM

and again in 2003. The new design does, in fact, resemble the first official Confederate flag.

You can say the same thing about almost any of the Southern

May 28, 2014, 9:19 AM

states' flags, particularly Texas, North Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, etc. Plus school mascots, Ole Miss, Ten, etc...

It all stems from being proud of your culture and heritage, not the PC bull crap they're trying push nowadays

Whatever you do, always give 100%.....unless it's donating blood

Go ask CJ, Sammy, Nuk, KJ,and Tajh how they feel about it?

May 28, 2014, 9:29 AM

That probably would change more opinions around Clemson than the supposed "PC" bs people like to rail against.

Ole Miss changed their mascot

May 28, 2014, 9:45 AM [ in reply to You can say the same thing about almost any of the Southern ]

and Tennessee Volunteers aren't a civil war reference, they're a reference to the Mexican-American war.

Also the war of 1812 and the civil war***

May 28, 2014, 9:48 AM

Below is the only story I've ever heard

May 28, 2014, 9:57 AM

http://www.tennesseehistory.com/archive/volpg.html

That's an interesting read, thanks.

May 28, 2014, 10:55 AM

My dad has a poster from the 60's with the SEC mascots on there in cartoon fashion, the Ten Vol guy is dressed in confederate garb, also on the wiki pedia page says the mascot derives from all three wars.

My guess is that they took pride in each war for their mascot and since the civil war is the most recent and has the biggest open wound/reconstruction left such a bad taste, that's what they embraced in the years after the war

May 28, 2014, 9:24 AM

So are you a born and bred Yankee who is shunning your natural origins?

As a native South Carolinian and Clemson Alum, I like my history. I love the look of the Stars and Bars and the Southern Cross. But I am not naive enough to think that the "Southern Cross" rebel fighting flag, the 3rd iteration of a flag for the Confederacy, only represents and symbolizes heritage.

Idiots, rednecks and ignorance have taken that Southern Cross symbol and magnified any of its association to hate, fear and racism. The sad thing is it appears that magnification started way back when the flag was being created...

[George Bagby, editor of The Southern Literary Messenger, characterized the flag motif as the “Southern Cross” – the constellation, not a religious symbol – and hailed it for pointing “the destiny of the Southern master and his African slave” southward to “the banks of the Amazon,” a reference to the desire among many Southerners to expand Confederate territory into Latin America. In contrast, the editor of the Savannah, Ga., Morning News focused on the white field on which the Southern Cross was emblazoned. “As a people, we are fighting to maintain the heaven-ordained supremacy of the white man over the inferior or colored races. A White Flag would be thus emblematical of our cause.” He dubbed the new flag “the White Man’s Flag,” a sobriquet that never gained traction."]

As stated earlier, Georgia's flag is closer to the Stars and Bars flag, which Confederates did not like because they thought it an imitation of the Stars and Stripes. It was not "confederate" enough.

Yea, now that you ask the ?. I do identify...

May 28, 2014, 9:47 AM

More so, with my experience at Clemson and the people of South Carolina than I do with my native Northeastern cultural upbringing. I love South Carolina and South Carolinians. I totally respect and value the independent minded nature of the state.

I worry that many so called " moderate" Northeasterners are moving South for all of the benefits whose foundations were laid through the hard work of generations (ie right-to-work) and slowly dilute and replace what they originally moved to SC in the 1st place. Look at what Yankee liberalism has done to Va and NC!

^^^Totally agree.

May 28, 2014, 9:50 AM

I welcome anyone to move here but don't try to impose the liberal ideals of where you came from on me.

Re: ^^^Totally agree.

May 28, 2014, 9:40 PM

Well this liberal was born here and says the same thing as you to those that move and moved here .
But i also say it to the right wingers who scream for small and less govt except in the bedroom, about women's health, putting marriage on Constitution, want any military need, cry for help after a hurricane, tornado or flood, gerrymandering voting districts, cash their SS Checks, use medicare, and so on.

We can all have opinions... Folks just need to stop thinking their one way is the only way.

NC is in a conservative legislative shitstorm right now, btw

May 28, 2014, 11:03 AM [ in reply to Yea, now that you ask the ?. I do identify... ]

Pendulum swung back pretty hard last elections and they are doing all sorts of stupid stuff before it swings back.

It's like neither party wants to hold NC, so they're taking turns crapping all over it badly enough to get voted out.

so true....close the borders!!! secede from the union!!***

May 28, 2014, 11:03 AM [ in reply to Yea, now that you ask the ?. I do identify... ]

Yes - and Shoot the skallywags, hang the carpetbaggers,

May 28, 2014, 9:01 PM

castrate the interlopers. Steal their women and rape their buffalo!

Re: Yea, now that you ask the ?. I do identify...

May 28, 2014, 11:10 AM [ in reply to Yea, now that you ask the ?. I do identify... ]

Wow. The North's own Judas. You sound like that dope from the US military that defected to North Korea and now praises the Dear Leader... Brainwashed.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Yea, now that you ask the ?. I do identify...

May 28, 2014, 9:28 PM [ in reply to Yea, now that you ask the ?. I do identify... ]

Might want to remove NC from the worry... That state has turned way way right... too extreme for me.

It isn't the NAACP boycott. The NCAA simply won't let the

May 28, 2014, 12:43 PM

state host events while the redneck trailer trash "Heritage" boys down in Columbia insist on flying a Confederate battle flag on state grounds. That flag is insulting to roughly 3/4's of the residents of this state who are either black, white from states that don't tolerate this revisionist "states rights" bull***, or white natives who think maybe it's time that resident rednecks stop beating their chests about a war that got fought 150 years ago, in which the treasonous secessionists got their a***es whipped.

^^^Informed poster this guy is not***

May 28, 2014, 12:45 PM

can you disagree with someone without trying to ridicule

May 28, 2014, 12:50 PM [ in reply to It isn't the NAACP boycott. The NCAA simply won't let the ]

and insult them? You don't represent your side of the debate very well.

People like him aren't worth debating, he's either trying to

May 28, 2014, 12:54 PM

troll or just really stupid. Possibly both

probably both***

May 28, 2014, 12:56 PM

Blacks were slaves under the US flag for way longer than the

May 28, 2014, 12:53 PM [ in reply to It isn't the NAACP boycott. The NCAA simply won't let the ]

CSA flag, so let's get rid of it.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Fiat Justitia et Pereat Mundus

Exactly. That "gentleman" needs to do his research

May 28, 2014, 12:56 PM

the first recognized slave in the US was owned by a black man named Anthony Johnson in 1654 (obviously still under England's flag but the point is the same)

I see you haven't bothered to read this (pic)***

May 28, 2014, 1:11 PM [ in reply to It isn't the NAACP boycott. The NCAA simply won't let the ]

Re: I see you haven't bothered to read this (pic)***

May 28, 2014, 9:06 PM

I have been through that course and I still say 'eff 'em. Don't want to be their friends.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I can think of another "hot" topic that offends 3/4 of the

May 28, 2014, 2:04 PM [ in reply to It isn't the NAACP boycott. The NCAA simply won't let the ]

United States but it is getting shoved down our throats (OK there, I've set some of you up with that one!) and I'm pretty sick of hearing about it too!!!

You shouldn't blame the NAACP for this.

May 28, 2014, 2:07 PM

Jump the leaders of the ACC and NCAA.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 28, 2014, 9:05 PM

Eff 'em. Don't give two tick turds about them or what they stand for. Sue me.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 34
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic