Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Christian Wilkins at DE for GT?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

Christian Wilkins at DE for GT?

Sep 21, 2016, 3:55 PM

Thoughts on Christian Wilkins as DE in GT... I'm not sure myself if having a larger player at DE is better or worse against GT; Do we need more of LB hybrid guy or does he still the best guy for the job considering what he's done so far.

Bonus - does he play any DE against Louisville if Austin Bryant is full go at DE?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Huh? I thought he played for US????***

Sep 21, 2016, 4:02 PM

Re: Huh? I thought he played for US????***

Sep 21, 2016, 4:04 PM

Well he's gonna be in their back field all night so...

Re: Christian Wilkins at DE for GT?

try to get a serious response here.... just try!!!

He's athletic enough I would believe. Hope he stays upright with no injuries though.

We have CBV. Just sit back and enjoy. If there's

Sep 22, 2016, 4:38 AM

anyone whose already proven themselves, it's him. Orange colored glasses, but he's as good as their is in CFB IMO. As a DE, you're job is to set the edge, especially against the "triple option". Christian will bully a tackle one on one, so one edge is se (in their backfield probably), and the play is over. Guaranteed.

Sorry, meant to reply to OP.

Message was edited by: TigerGrant8®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 21, 2016, 4:05 PM

He's been playing DE all season and practice there a lot in the Spring. That won't change now, even when Bryant is back....they'll rotate Wilkins at both DT and DE. Playing him at DE against GT is no issue in my opinion, he's a bigger body for sure, but he's got cat like reflexes and can move for a big fella. Surely you've seen him play enough to know.

He is just worrying about speed.*****

Sep 22, 2016, 12:50 AM

Sep 21, 2016, 4:06 PM

Might be a case of who is the most disciplined. I think Wilkins is athletic enough.

Trust Brent Venebles and Marion Hobby!***

Sep 21, 2016, 4:20 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I trust God with my life but I'm still worried about bears

Sep 21, 2016, 4:52 PM

But seriously when I do remember the coaches are paid Millions of dollars to worry about these things it does help me fall asleep at night.

Sep 21, 2016, 5:12 PM

I like this. It allows for Big Dex and Carlos Watkins to clog up the middle, taking the dive out of the equation. Wilkins at DE gives you a big body with athleticism to help against the run on the edge as well. Not to mention getting a pass rush isn't really a major priority against PJ's high school offense.

Sep 21, 2016, 5:33 PM

Defensive End against the option are important to setting the edge and not committing to the dive. They must shake the cut block, and stay at home. MIKE goes for Dive, Outside Backers should be on QB, and Corners/Safeties are pitch man/outside assignment.

So, having a guy at DE who's disciplined is more important than having an athletic guy.

Also, Yes he will play DE for Louisville. Don't expect Austin Bryant to be in game shape for entire 60 minutes. You may even see Bryant/Lawrence/Wilkins/Ferrell in one play, and slide Wilkins out to DE the very next play!

Sep 21, 2016, 8:23 PM

Playing that GT option requires discipline
Wilkins is a smart dude and shown he has that kind of discipline and focus
Not worried about him at all
His size agility and strength is just gravy on the biscuit!

Sep 21, 2016, 8:32 PM

he plays for clemson, not GT, duh

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 21, 2016, 8:44 PM

I actually see your point, and have pondered it myself. We've been spoiled at DE the past few years with Crawford, Beasley, Dodd and Lawson doing a great job. Christian Wilkins and Ferrell will need to stay on their feet and be able to react quickly. Making a prediction here: I predict Richard Yeargin will have the best game out of all the DE's tomorrow because of his length and agility.

Sep 21, 2016, 10:28 PM

From all that I've gathered is that he will be playing the interior this week...Yeargin and Clelin should be able to set the edge for our interior guys to where CDub won't be needed at DE.

I'm always excited to play GT because this is always an indicator to what kind of safeties we have..I love when we are able to walk our safeties up and just let them pin their ears back and hit someone against the run.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

I don't think Wilkins fits to play DE, not for good.

Sep 22, 2016, 2:07 AM

Can he play? Yes.
Is it his natural position? No.
Will he be able to keep up as DE the entire game? With his size at 300+ lbs, likely not.

I know that most Clemson fans want to see Wilkins, Watkins and Big Dex in at the same time. I tend to like the idea that we rotate them so that they stay fresh all game long and don't get banged up into a long season.

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic