Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Catanzaro expanding range after working with Morten Andersen
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

Aug 8, 2012, 8:03 PM

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Football Player Update: Catanzaro expanding range after working with Morten Anderson

Aug 8, 2012, 8:12 PM

I hope we just see him kicking lots of PAT's

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

IMO, Morten Andersen was one of the all-time greatest

Aug 8, 2012, 8:24 PM

kickers in NFL history.

On a trip to the Big Sleazy during carnival season once many moons ago, I picked up a poster of Andersen in a tuxedo, baton in hand, leading the New Orleans Symphony Orchestra. It was very cool.

Message was edited by: tigrjm76®

Message was edited by: tigrjm76®

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: IMO, Morten Andersen was one of the all-time greatest

Aug 8, 2012, 8:34 PM

He's probably the most accurate kicker of all-time, close...

Looks like our special teams are going to be good, but our OL looks really shaken up.

http://ryankantor.com/2012/08/08/clemson-2012-keys-to-victory-a-guest-blog-post/

Aug 9, 2012, 11:27 AM

Dude, really? It's a good article, but this post is marginally related to that blog at best. You've plugged it like 20 times already on this site, man. Give it a rest

Aug 9, 2012, 11:48 AM

The blog is awful he should try something else

Aug 9, 2012, 11:52 AM [ in reply to Re: IMO, Morten Andersen was one of the all-time greatest ]

lol @ a blogger trying to pimp his #### site.

Why is it that most bloggers basically scream from the rooftops "LOOK AT ME!!!" are you that insecure?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Not just your opinion. He's a certain hall of famer!***

Aug 9, 2012, 11:54 AM [ in reply to IMO, Morten Andersen was one of the all-time greatest ]

There's still a level of uncertainty ...

Aug 8, 2012, 8:53 PM

i have w/ Catanzaro on clutch kicks.

Maybe I never quite got over WF kick # 1.

Seems like the 38-45 range from the different hashmarks is what he really needs to focus on, not knocking down 54 yard ones, where frankly our chances of getting a 4th d conversion are equal percentage wise to Cat hitting a FG from there.

Uncertainty? Cat is one of the most accurate kickers in

Aug 9, 2012, 9:15 AM

Clemson history. That is of course if you want to go back a little thing called statistics. Hardly anyone's even close when it comes to Fresh and Soph #'s. Look at Treadwell, look at Gardocki, look at whoever you want! 2010 had a couple rocky moments, but he was a freshman. Last year was more than phenominal. He was 22-27 last year including 9 of 12 from 40+. He was 13-15 under 40 yards and didn't miss anything under 30. He holds the school record for % from 40+

I have to say it's great knowing we have him kicking for 2 more years!

Re: Uncertainty? Cat is one of the most accurate kickers in

Aug 9, 2012, 11:55 AM

Nelson Welch was a great kicker

Yes he was and as a comparison Catman

Aug 9, 2012, 12:05 PM

had a better FG % his Freshman year (63.6%) than Welch did his senior year (62.5%). Welch was much better his Jr year though at 78.6% while Catman was 81.5% his So year. That's why I question others "uncertainty".

Re: Yes he was and as a comparison Catman

Aug 9, 2012, 12:10 PM

Yeah but Nelson was our only offense his sr.yr lol

take a look

Nelson Welch
Football • 1991-94
Nelson Welch was perhaps the best placekicker in Tiger history. From nearby Greer, SC, he holds the career record for field goals (72). He is also second in career scoring with 301 points, behind only fellow kicker Aaron Hunt. He was a third-team All-American as a sophomore in 1992, only the second sophomore in school history to be named an All-American. The other sophomore All-American was William Perry, also a member of the Clemson Hall of Fame.

While at Clemson, Welch finished in the top 15 in the nation in field goals made per game during all four seasons, still the only ACC player to ever accomplish that feat. He also led the Tigers in scoring during all four seasons, the only Clemson player to accomplish that feat. Welch holds the Tiger record for multiple field goal games in a career with 25. He is also second in kick scoring and fifth in PATs in a career. His 21 field goals of 40 yards or more is also second-most in school history behind only Clemson Hall of Fame member Chris Gardocki's 23.

In his freshman year, Welch was named First-Team All-ACC, as he helped the Tigers to a first-place conference finish and top-20 national finish. He scored 88 points that year, including a five-field-goal performance against N.C. State that set the school record for most yards on field goals in a game. He finished the season tied for fourth in the nation in field goals per game as well.

Welch's sophomore campaign was even more successful. Along with being named an All-American, his 89 points led the ACC and the 22 field goals are tied for third-most in a season in school history. He finished the year second in the nation in field goals per game and 11th in scoring. He was selected Second-Team All-ACC for his achievements. One of the highlights of the year was the Virginia game, as Welch kicked the game-winning field goal in the greatest comeback in Clemson history.

The following year, Welch again was named Second-Team All-ACC, and he finished in the top 15 in the nation in field goals per game. He helped the team to a third-place finish in the conference and a victory in the Peach Bowl. Even better, he kicked the game-winner against South Carolina, again showing his clutch-kicking ability.

In Welch's final season, he continued his steady performance. He finished in the top 15 in the nation in field goals per game and was rewarded with another Second-Team All-ACC selection. This made history, as he is the first and only Clemson football player to be a four-time, all-conference selection.

Welch was selected to participate in the Blue-Gray game and Senior Bowl. Welch finished his career as the ACC's all-time field-goal leader. He also served as a punter at Clemson, though placekicking was his strength. He led the team in punting average three times.

After graduating from Clemson, he had brief stints in the NFL and CFL. He is now a sales representative for Adidas. Welch and his wife Kristen have a son Davis (5).

but what about FG #2 against wake

Aug 9, 2012, 12:43 PM [ in reply to There's still a level of uncertainty ... ]

all it did was to clinche a division championship

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Just saying....

Aug 9, 2012, 8:50 AM

it would be nice to know that he could go 55 and in.
50 yd fg? That would mean we would have to get to the
32 yd line to be in range.
Otherwise, I think hes coming along.

I beg to differ from others on this matter....

Aug 9, 2012, 8:52 AM

most of his inconsistency was admittedly from shorter yardage but I think he's gotten that fixed. In our showdown game vs. FSU, I think it may come down to a long-range kick. How fitting it would be if Catanzardo--not Hopkins--puts it through at long range to sink Free Shoes U....

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic