Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Can someone please explain why Josh Jacobs is God's gift
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

Can someone please explain why Josh Jacobs is God's gift

Mar 21, 2019, 9:57 PM

I admit I didn't watch a lot of Bama's games this past season. So I was thinking maybe they relied on him more during the regular season and the gimmick crap he came in to run during the NC game was an anomoly. All I've heard is how he warrants a first round pick, he is so exceptional, etc. So I checked the stats. What I saw was far from other worldly. His pro day numbers 5'11 219, 35" vert, 18 reps, 4.63 & 4.66 40.

For the season 120 carries, 640 yd, 11td, 5.3 ypc, 20 receptions, 247 yd 3 td. He was #2 in carries and #3 in rushing yards on his own team. Lowest yards per carry among their top 3 backs.

So in 15 games last season he had 4 games with double digit carries. Tenn. 12/68, MSST 20/97, Oklahoma 15/98, Clemson 11/47. The first 6 games of the season he had carried the ball 34 times for 147 yards. Those games were against Louisville, Arkansas St., ole Miss, Tex A&M, Louisiana-Lafeyette, and Arkansas. Against ArkSt 2.8 ypc, ole Miss 3.0 ypc, A&M 1.8 ypc, and 2.0 ypc against Arkansas.

4 times he averaged over 6 ypc. He was never the #1 back on his own team and the argument could be made that he was the 3rd best back on the team. So why is he now God's gift to football?

He is not a breakaway guy. He's not a mack truck bruiser. He's never been the guy to lean on and carry his team on his back. His numbers in no way jump off of the page and his film is not even close to jaw dropping. I don't get it. I know numbers don't always give a totally accurate picture but usually there is something there to warrant the hype but in this case I don't see anything overwhelming especially when RB's are a fairly low priority in today's NFL.

So, am I totally off base or what?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Can someone please explain why Josh Jacobs is God's gift

Mar 21, 2019, 10:24 PM

let me check with Todd McShay. I'll get back to ya

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 21, 2019, 10:39 PM

Did you watch the natty? His one plant and cut which dropped AJ in his shoes was absolute nasty. The kid is an elite back from what I saw... too bad our whole team is elite and will overshadow a player.

Mar 21, 2019, 11:35 PM

Yea idk why he didn't get the ball more at Bama. He was their best back imo. They did have a dang good RB group tho so it's hard to get everybody the ball. We couldn't stop him in short yardage tho.

Mar 22, 2019, 2:03 PM [ in reply to Re: Can someone please explain why Josh Jacobs is God's gift ]

Don't know exactly - except when Bama needed a few yards, he delivered every time. When he was in that wildcat thing, we knew it was coming & still couldn't stop him. Moves, power - I thought we'd stop him once, at least, but don't think we did - - MAYBE once - but you'd think WE could shut him down for good at some point. We really didn't. Either the Bama line just had that play down, or a combination of that & his ability to power through anything we tried. I was baffled we never had a solution for him.

They pretty much shut down our run game, so we passed - & passed & passed. They seemed to run on us pretty well, but stuck w/Tua & the passing game. And lost.

Mar 21, 2019, 11:48 PM

he's definitely a bruiser...hes one of those players where the numbers won't impress you, but if you cut on the tape. He's a excellent Football player. I wouldn't say God's gift to football but i compare him strongly to a james conner. He really is a better football player than Athlete though.

Mar 22, 2019, 12:41 AM

He is an exceptionally good receiver as a RB.

He is a very safe runner with very few negative plays, which is why Nick used him successfully on short yardage plays. Carries a lot of pop and runs low. Everybody made a big deal about his TD vs OK but come on, the man he ran over was a DB.

He was highly rated early on but took a while to work through the rotation to get a lot of carries. Not sure if he was in Saban's doghouse or his running style didn't always fit the plays they were calling (like Feaster for us). It's also not unusual for Saban to elevate one back's carries late in the year (who ever heard of Bo Scarborough before the latter half of 2016?)

Analysts also suddenly have decided that "not many carries in college" means "lots of tread left on the tires". Apparently the Ray Rice/George Rogers types who carried the rock 40* per game are no longer valuable.

Is he worth a #1?? Doubt it. Hardly any RBs are in today's NFL.

Mar 22, 2019, 8:26 AM

Here’s a good article on him. He was rated ZERO stars until Alabama offered him and suddenly became a 3 star recruit. Sound familiar?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2806367-alabama-running-back-josh-jacobs-is-living-the-impossible-dream.amp.html

Mar 22, 2019, 1:16 PM

He wasn't rated as zero stars because no recruit is rated that. Zero stars would mean that he hadn't been evaluated by the recruiting services yet. A 3 star is just about as low as they get rated as you don't seem very many 2 star guys at all.

Mar 22, 2019, 2:20 PM

Yeah I was actually just quoting him from this article. Did you read it? He had 1 D1 offer until a week or two before signing day and then OU offered followed quickly by Bama. Saban kept wanting to know what they were hiding because from his film Saban thought he was great. Sometimes the coaches want to trust their eyes but the “recruiting services” can’t possibly have let somebody slip through the cracks now could they?

Mar 22, 2019, 6:24 PM [ in reply to Re: Can someone please explain why Josh Jacobs is God's gift ]

Thanks for the link.

Guess i was wrong about being highly rated, but i understand why--i didn't know BOTH of the Harrises were #1 recruits!

Did you read in the article where he averaged almost 15 yards per carry running a Wildcat-related system in high school?

Saban just went back to his comfort zone.

Mar 22, 2019, 6:50 AM

It just means more to be on Alabama and even more to be in the sec

Mar 22, 2019, 7:40 AM

He plays for Alabama.

He plays in the SEC.

He's coached by Saban.

Finebaum watches him on a regular basis.

Take your pick from any of the above.

Mar 22, 2019, 8:28 AM

At the NFL level I would be very wary of any Bama RB. They do not have a great track record so to speak at the next level.

Is that really even true? Ingram has had a very nice career

Mar 22, 2019, 8:40 AM

Lacy had a few really good years before he fell off, Henry is doing well, and Drake has been solid so far at Miami. Trent Richardson was a huge bust, but i think the Bama RB thing is kind of a false narrative at this point.

Also, Josh Jacobs is a different type of back than most of those guys. He's much, much more agile than their typical bruisers like Richardson, Lacy, Henry, and Scarbrough who have all played in the 240-250 range. Josh Jacobs is much more similar in both size and skill set and Ingram has been the best of the Bama RBs, by far.

Mark Ingram is the one outlier. He's had a good career.***

Mar 22, 2019, 8:51 AM [ in reply to Re: Can someone please explain why Josh Jacobs is God's gift ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Mark Ingram is the one outlier. He's had a good career.***

Mar 22, 2019, 8:56 AM

Ingram is an outlier and also ponder that just because he has lasted longer than most Bama RB's he has not been anything more than serviceable. He was not even the best back on the Saints once Kamara arrived.

Mar 22, 2019, 1:30 PM

Hasn't been anything more than serviceable? In 2017 he had 1,540 total yards and 12 touchdowns which put him at top 5 in the league in rushing yards and touchdowns, and top 7 in the league in total yards. He's had a bit of trouble being on the field for all 16 games, but he's rushed for over 1,000 yards in each of the last two seasons he's played all 16 games, and also averaged 52 receptions and nearly 400 yards receiving. He's also made the pro bowl twice in his career. He's not exactly going to be a hall of famer, but he's certainly more than serviceable. Yeah Kamara is better, but Kamara is better than probably all but 3 or 4 running backs in the league right now.

Mar 22, 2019, 4:30 PM

One year is not a career. Over his entire careeer he averages 750 rusing yards per year and 200 receiving yards per year. That is the very definition of serviceable and one can certainly pick up RB far after the round he was drafted to put up those numbers.

His game translates well to the NFL.

Mar 22, 2019, 8:31 AM

He catches the ball very well out of the backfield which is quickly becoming one of the most important traits for an NFL RB. He's also very shifty and plenty physical.

Yep. 20-247-3 receiving isn't bad for an Alabama RB

Mar 22, 2019, 9:03 AM

He could be a good second back for any team. The NFL.com guys are actually lauding his lack of abuse at Alabama; getting 40 carries a game is kind of a bad thing now. Looks like a third-fourth rounder to me.

All these mocks having him going in the first are absurd, especially considering this is one of the best groups of defensive prospects of all time. Just because you're a skill guy doesn't mean you have to go in the top two rounds. He's a big gamble there.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 22, 2019, 2:13 PM

Don’t know about all that ......Bu I heard from a reliable source he said his tail bone is still very sore from that Clemson game......and he had never been hit that hard in all his football born days.....Go Tigers!!!!

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic