Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Can someone please explain to me the....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 1

Can someone please explain to me the....

Apr 19, 2019, 2:44 PM

coot’s obsession with continually throwing in our face the fact that they are a flagship university? They act like this automatically makes them superior to all other colleges and universities in the state of South Carolina. In my research I cannot find any evidence that being a flagship university is any great honor. There are 63 such universities in the USA. I feel it’s just something they take pride in because they have so little to be proud of.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Can someone please explain to me the....

Apr 19, 2019, 2:54 PM

They’re following the German model for flagships. Spending eternity resting on the ocean floor.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 19, 2019, 2:56 PM

Doesn't that only mean that they have the most doctoral programs? Which should be the case considering they have a much higher enrollment.

Apr 19, 2019, 4:01 PM

As a PhD, no. There is nothing that is related to a "flagship" and doctoral program in any sort.

Ironically, the term "flagship university" was in reference to the original Morrill Land-Grant act and the new wave of 1950s schools. Those that were the original Morrill act schools were the "flagship" school, and the new schools weren't.

So the Morrill Schools with higher academic standard were the 'flagship' schools in comparison to the new schools like Coastal, Upstate, and even Winthrop (as those transition from state teacher college may apply in this case).

So uOFsc has even less traditional claim to being a 'flagship' as it is not a Morrill school, lacks higher educational standards, and is the less recognized school (see the use of "of" in usc branding). Worse, traditionally, most states had dropped calling one school a 'flagship" is it is out of style in academic circles.

Apr 19, 2019, 4:05 PM

Thank you for explaining it to me. You obviously have more knowledge on the subject than I do.

It doesn’t really mean anything of significance.

Apr 19, 2019, 3:11 PM

They can continue being the state’s flagship university, while we continue being the state’s most difficult school to get into and a nationally respected academic institution.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

I can call myself an NBA point guard, but

Apr 19, 2019, 4:01 PM

that doesn't mean I am one...

Apr 19, 2019, 4:24 PM

I just googled “Flagship University” and it states there isn’t any set definition for a Flagship University as each state views it differently. it’s usually the first established public university in the state and/or the University with the highest research profile and most doctoral programs.

Flagship? Flagship for the Luxembourg navy maybe.

Apr 19, 2019, 4:44 PM

MAYbe.

Replies: 8
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic