Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Can someone explain why the breakup with Rick Barnes and Clemson
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 41
| visibility 251

Can someone explain why the breakup with Rick Barnes and Clemson

Jan 23, 2019, 10:35 PM

Happened? I’m not exactly sure what happened behind closed doors so anything would be appreciative.

TIA

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Can someone explain why the breakup with Rick Barnes and Clemson

Jan 23, 2019, 10:37 PM

Really just gossip. No one knows for sure but the admin, him, his wife, and the cheer leader.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tiger/Terrier

Jan 23, 2019, 10:40 PM

Co-eds.. they called him slick Rick for a reason

It wasn't a break up with Clemson........

Jan 23, 2019, 10:50 PM

So the story goes.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 23, 2019, 10:52 PM

All you need to know is that he burned the bridge to the piling on his way out of town. Don’t care how many wins he had not a Clemson man.

Patrino without the motorcycle.***

Jan 23, 2019, 10:56 PM

He got a better job offer and left...Simple as that...

Jan 23, 2019, 10:59 PM

Anything else is a fairy tale invented to soothe butthurt

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: He got a better job offer and left...Simple as that...

Jan 24, 2019, 7:15 AM

Was he not cheating on his wife? Is that urban legend?

That's what the butthurters cling to, but I haven't seen

Jan 24, 2019, 11:49 AM

a shred of evidence to back it up

As I remember, Barnes attempted to blame it on SC’s public

Jan 24, 2019, 7:31 AM [ in reply to He got a better job offer and left...Simple as that... ]

school system. It was insulting on a couple of levels, and he took a lot of heat for it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Re: As I remember, Barnes attempted to blame it on SC’s public

Jan 24, 2019, 7:35 AM

he could have blamed it on not being able to keep his zipper zipped up. it aint rocket surgery. op had the same problem.

Eggzachly how far back

Jan 24, 2019, 9:00 AM

do you and OP go?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

any proof other than hearsay?***

Jan 24, 2019, 11:59 AM [ in reply to Re: As I remember, Barnes attempted to blame it on SC’s public ]

Re: As I remember, Barnes attempted to blame it on SC’s public

Jan 24, 2019, 9:37 AM [ in reply to As I remember, Barnes attempted to blame it on SC’s public ]

haha, I am a product of said education system and can insure all of you that this is knot true.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

His children weren't going to public schools, that's not why

Jan 24, 2019, 11:50 AM [ in reply to As I remember, Barnes attempted to blame it on SC’s public ]

he left

Maybe not, but it's exactly what he himself said.***

Jan 24, 2019, 3:37 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Jan 23, 2019, 11:04 PM

He also said that one of the reasons he was leaving was that S.C. public schools sucked, and his kids would get a better education in Texas.(Paraphrasing, but that was the jist of it.)It’s like he tried to #### off as many people as possible on his way out.

Jan 23, 2019, 11:46 PM

His wife said that. And not true - the schools his kids were going to would be blue ribbon if they had that program back then. Consider the source and the gist of the rumors. As someone else said he is not a Clemson man.

This is 100% True - Public Education was his reason

Jan 24, 2019, 7:28 AM [ in reply to Re: Can someone explain why the breakup with Rick Barnes and Clemson ]

https://www.dailypress.com/news/dp-xpm-19980419-1998-04-19-9804190018-story.html

This was so well documented at the time, I'm curious as to why it's now considered a myth. Everyone knew this when he said it and he was pilloried for it. This wasn't a situation where he just decided to go to another program, like Charlie Pell. Rick Barnes left AND crapped all over the state of South Carolina.

^ This***

Jan 24, 2019, 7:32 AM

Even the author knew it wasn't the reason, it was his excuse

Jan 24, 2019, 12:03 PM [ in reply to This is 100% True - Public Education was his reason ]

He left because it was easier to win at Texas...period...Not because a millionaire was worried about public schooling

Re: This is 100% True - Public Education was his reason

Jan 24, 2019, 3:03 PM [ in reply to This is 100% True - Public Education was his reason ]

Well he didn’t lie

Lots of people use the "family" as the reason they quit

Jan 24, 2019, 11:49 AM [ in reply to Re: Can someone explain why the breakup with Rick Barnes and Clemson ]

when it's not about family, or when it's completely about family, i.e. hurting them.

Jan 23, 2019, 11:28 PM

The reason he gave for leaving was with Duke and North Carolina it was a futile situation to stay at Clemson.

Jan 24, 2019, 7:04 AM

This was not too long after he said he was going to stay at Clemson for the rest of his coaching career.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Jan 24, 2019, 5:08 AM

Sounds like from all the posts Barnes had a lot of so called “reasons “ for leaving - and just threw them all against the wall to see what would stick ....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If people were as good as their obituary - and products were as good as advertised - this would truly be a wonderful world !!

Jan 24, 2019, 7:37 AM

Many reasons lead to Barnes leaving and some were mutual between him and Clemson but the biggest reason - MONEY! The university wouldn't pay him what he thought he was worth. Clemson threw up that the school is a state university and he fired back calling B.S. and then end of story.

Had not heard that one .....

Jan 24, 2019, 7:43 AM

at least the state university part saddis56. Interesting....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If people were as good as their obituary - and products were as good as advertised - this would truly be a wonderful world !!

He won the coin toss and decided to play defense 1st

Jan 24, 2019, 7:38 AM

Next day he was gone

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

He probably just got tired of banging his head against the

Jan 24, 2019, 7:44 AM

Triangle Mafia....

Jan 24, 2019, 8:21 AM

Barnes left on bad terms, but I think it was his wife that was griping about the school systems. But, to be honest, Texas is a better job than Clemson in basketball. In fact, MANY schools are better than Clemson in basketball. I wish I could say that that will change one day, but I don't think it will.

Has anyone seen the basketball board?***

Jan 24, 2019, 8:21 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

No. But very useful post.***

Jan 24, 2019, 9:26 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Jan 24, 2019, 8:40 AM

Pretty sure Rick seen Dabo in the early stages of building something special here and he didn't want to compete with that. Shyatt was more versital in his expectations for this program

I can tell you one reason

Jan 24, 2019, 9:33 AM

Was his appreciation for the fairer sex. Not saying it was the only factor in his leaving, but it was definitely a contributor.

Old girlfriend and I used to work in a restaurant together while at Clemson. Rick brought the team in for dinner one night and she was his waitress. He was interested in developing a personal relationship outside the restaurant is the kindest way to describe it...

Clemson does have the best looking women, but not sure moving to a different college town could fix his wandering eye. Rumor on campus at the time was his wife caught him with someone and said they had to leave Clemson or get divorced.

Lucky for him that Texas came a calling just as his

Jan 24, 2019, 2:52 PM

marriage was faltering huh?

Jan 24, 2019, 9:43 AM

https://clemsontigers.com/rick-barnes-leaves-clemson-for-texas/

Not sure any of the things mentioned above

Jan 24, 2019, 9:57 AM

were the real reasons, they were just contributing factors.

The reality is, at the time he was a hot commodity and was a climber in the coaching ranks. I think he saw an easier path to winning conference titles and NCAA tourney bids in the BIG XII where Kansas was the only blue blood program. I think he did feel that the NC Triangle schools were at an advantage particularly Duke and UNC. I'm also not sure that he ever viewed Clemson as more than a stepping stone to a better job. In addition he was going to lose the core of the team that had been to 3 straight NCAA tourneys and I think he knew that the team would struggle to compete at the same level the following year so he struck while the iron was hot. Had he stuck around and had a mediocre season I think his leverage for another job would have dropped.

I'm not sure what the offer was, but at the time I'm sure Texas was capable of offering more money than Clemson.

Jan 24, 2019, 11:40 AM

Whitney Walters

Jan 24, 2019, 12:31 PM

https://sportsspectrum.com/sport/basketball/2018/01/16/tennessee-basketball-coach-rick-barnes-lives-life-lord/

What about her?***

Jan 24, 2019, 3:34 PM [ in reply to Re: Can someone explain why the breakup with Rick Barnes and Clemson ]

Re: What about her?***

Jan 24, 2019, 4:17 PM

I think he is saying the Paw Patrol was bumping uglies

Replies: 41
| visibility 251
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic