Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Braves promote top prospect in baseball
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 2,975

Braves promote top prospect in baseball

Apr 25, 2018, 1:39 AM

For those of you interested, the Braves have called up Ronald Acuna Jr. and he will be in uniform tomorrow for their game against Cincinnati. He is the consensus number 1 prospect in baseball. Hopefully they can keep up this little bit of winning but even if they don't, this team is young and will be extremely fun to watch this summer!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

As excited as I am about the move...

Apr 25, 2018, 2:39 AM

Perhaps they need to address our pathetic at best bullpen....

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Exactly

Apr 25, 2018, 7:11 AM

Acuna is not going to solve the Braves #1 problem (bullpen). The bats have been solid. However, the pitching after the starter retires has been horrible.

I was thinking of going to seen Gwinnett play Durham this weekend. But, since they moved Acuna that's not happening.

I wonder who Acuna is going to replace in the outfield?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Exactly

Apr 25, 2018, 8:11 AM

I would imagine Tucker. Markakis is hitting over .300

Re: Exactly

Apr 25, 2018, 11:16 AM

I think you're right. And that's unfortunate for Tucker. He was playing good ball. His BA has been dropping but it's probably better than Acuna's BA in Gwinnett. Still though, Acuna is an upgrade. Too bad he can't pitch. ;)

Re: As excited as I am about the move...

Apr 25, 2018, 8:37 AM [ in reply to As excited as I am about the move... ]

Walks are killing them. The Braves have given up the most walks of any MLB team, by far.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Stud.

Apr 25, 2018, 8:16 AM

He tore up Spring training. As you know, the only reason they started him in the minors was due to the fact that they didn't want him to be eligible for his pay raise or something similar as early.

Re: Stud.

Apr 25, 2018, 10:00 AM

By not calling him up immediately they gained an extra year of control over him, basically meaning his service time in the majors wouldn't qualify for him to be a free agent sooner.

It's sort of a bad policy that teams can keep a prospect in the minors for 2-3 weeks and have one more year of contractual control, but it's just how it is now. Of course some teams like the Angels with Ohtani and the Phillies with Kingery reached long term deals so it wasn't necessary to start them off in the minors.

Apr 25, 2018, 11:14 AM

Keeping Acuna at AAA Gwinnett was a total corporate move that allowed Liberty Media to retain Acuna until 2024 instead of 2023. They sacrificed a month this season to save a year 6 years from now.

It's all speculation, but if Acuna could have won the Braves just 2-3 more games in March, would that impact their playoff chances this year? I think the answer is somewhere between maybe and probably. And, I believe that if the owner was someone like Ted Turner (or any passionate billionaire fan) instead of a corporation, then Acuna would've started on Opening Day.

Anyway, that just pisses me off. Not a fan of a corporation owning a sports team.

Apr 25, 2018, 12:18 PM

Everybody does this not just corporate owned teams. The cubs did this with Kris Bryant a few years back

Apr 25, 2018, 12:20 PM [ in reply to Re: Stud. ]

Its not likely the Braves are going to be legitimate playoff contenders this year. So yes you do sacrifice one or may 2 wins this year for God knows how many wins 6 years from now when Acuna is in his prime

Apr 25, 2018, 12:24 PM [ in reply to Re: Stud. ]

If he is good enough to win you 2-3 games out of 22 then you should have no problem making the playoffs with the remaining 140 games.

null

Apr 25, 2018, 12:48 PM [ in reply to Re: Stud. ]

You think Acuna could have accounted for 2-3 more wins so far? Just so you know, there is a stat that tries to capture this called WAR (wins above replacement), and thus far in the season, the top player in this category is Mike Trout at 2.31.

So, I'm gonna call BS that this rookie was going to have the same WAR as Mike freaking Trout.

null

Replies: 12
| visibility 2,975
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic