Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Boomers and GenXers, you’re wrong about healthcare
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 5
| visibility 1

Boomers and GenXers, you’re wrong about healthcare

Apr 16, 2019, 12:51 PM

I grew hearing abou the evils of socialized medicine all my life. We made fun of the French and the Canadians, and feared their death panels. Yet. One of us really knew a thing about healthcare in any of those places. There is a reason Millennials and GenZ are marching toward the DNC en masse. It’s because we were wrong.

So let me present some facts:

1) Socilaized medicine is blanket term which leads people to wrongly assume all of these other countries have identical systems. They do not. The UK has the most pure form of Universal Heathcare. Brits pay their taxes and go to the doctor whenever they need to go with little or no copay. Doctors and nurses are government employees. There is a small private healthcare system in Britain but most Brits are quite happy with HMHS. On the other end of the spectrum, Canadians pay into a government run insurance program but doctor and hospitals are all private. It’s meant to be basic coverage for all Canadians which is why it costs much less per person than the UK single payer system.

IF you really want to know how other countries do it, Wikipedia ain’t a bad place to start.

2) All of the countries with any form of socialized medicine/universal coverage have longer life expectancies than the United States.

3) All of the countries with any form of socialized medicine/universal coverage spend less per person on healthcare than we do. And it’s not close. The next closet country is Switzerland at 25% less. Most spend about 40% less.

4) Yes your taxes would go up. But your private insurance payment would drop to zero. So does it really matter?

5) The single biggest drain on our healthcare system is the insurance business itself. It’s inefficient to pay a third party who must by design skim money off the top to pay million dollar salaries and shareholders. The BEST healthcare system would be one in which we pay directly into a local healthcare system via subscription. But....

6) The market is broken. We can be conservative and a free market champion AND admit the current healthcare system is too expensive and just not good enough.

7) We do not have the “best healthcare in the world”. Those who can afford it do.

8) I’ve had nine friends over the last five years travel to a foreign country for a medical procedure. Tell me again about how wonderful it is here.

Lastly I want to encourage everyone to really research healthcare in other countries. It is not the economy draining, life ruining, America destroying monster we were told it is.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have a friend who lives in Canada.

Apr 16, 2019, 12:58 PM

He has dual citizenship with the US. I asked him about his healthcare. He said that for minor things--ie has a sinus infection, needs stitches, etc, that its great. He said he uses that all the time. A few years ago he needed to get his hand operated on, and it took 18 months to schedule and get completed. By the time he got surgery, the damage he had done to his hand had almost healed and did irreparable harm to it. That was probably 5-7 years ago and he still can extend it completely. He said if he ever got in a car wreck near the border he hoped the ambulance would take him to the US side.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

But Obummercare!!***

Apr 16, 2019, 12:58 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

Even Cuba has similar life expectancy, infant mortality, etc

Apr 16, 2019, 1:13 PM

to the United States, at less than 1/10 the cost per capita.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

But what will the billionaires think?***

Apr 16, 2019, 1:16 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

you make it sound lik #5 doesn't exist

Apr 16, 2019, 1:35 PM

My primary care dr is a direct pay for service practice. He has all his prices listed up front on the website,
https://www.palmettoproactive.com/services-pricing

If I need more extensive care (hospitalization etc) I get referred and my insurance kicks in.
This is where nationalized care could come in I guess.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 5
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic