Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Bobby Washington's family to sue University of Miami ......
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 36
| visibility 1

Bobby Washington's family to sue University of Miami ......

Aug 11, 2004, 5:17 AM

Miami upsets family
Legal action against the Hurricanes a possibility, the family of NCSU transfer Bobby Washington says
Bobby Washington didn't cheat, mom says.
By CHIP ALEXANDER AND LORENZO PEREZ, Staff Writers

Aug 11, 2004 3:00 AM

While N.C. State football coaches are impressed by freshman tailback Bobby Washington's performances in practice, Washington's mother still fumes about his abrupt exit from the University of Miami.
Leslie Washington said the family was considering legal action against Miami, which she said refused last week to admit the highly touted recruit from Miami's Killian High. The university, she said, questioned Washington's score on the ACT college entrance exam, saying an allegation about his test had been made from an outside source.

Although she wouldn't specify the allegation, Bobby Washington told the Miami Herald last week that the university said the accusation involved somebody taking the test for him -- which he denied.

"Bobby did not cheat on anything," Leslie Washington said Tuesday in an interview. "He's a good child, and someone will have to answer for this because his reputation has been tarnished. My child has been slandered, and he did nothing wrong."

Washington said the family first learned of the allegation July 30 in a call from a university official. She said a meeting was scheduled at the university for Aug. 2 with Tony Hernandez, director of compliance for the athletics department, and Rick Mert, director of football operations.

"At the meeting, they said someone made a call to the school and made this accusation," she said. "They said they needed more time to investigate it. They said they would not admit him.

"I said that was not fair, that they could not put my child's life on hold with an accusation. Bobby said, 'No, I'm not going to wait because someone lied about me; just release me now.' I said whatever Bobby wants, I want, too."

Leslie Washington said she believed Miami had "over-recruited" and did not have a scholarship available for her son, saying that "they wanted him to sit for a year."

But Miami spokesman Mark Pray said Tuesday that "there was no scholarship limit issue involved." The university would have no other comment on the matter, Pray said.

Cleared to play

Bobby Washington, given a release from his scholarship, flew to Raleigh on Wednesday, Aug. 4. He was admitted to NCSU and participated in the Wolfpack's first practice on Friday.

"He was cleared by the NCAA [Clearinghouse]," Leslie Washington said. "If the NCAA had doubts about him, he wouldn't be playing at N.C. State."

She said NCSU had to get academic "paperwork" from a private school in Miami that Bobby Washington attended as a high school freshman before transferring to Killian. A committee of faculty and academic administrators at NCSU reviewed Washington's academic records before he was admitted.

NCSU athletics director Lee Fowler said that privacy laws prohibited him from discussing an athlete's academic records. Jon Fagg, assistant athletics director for compliance, declined to comment specifically on Washington's enrollment.

"We have a very set process by which we monitor the academic progress of incoming student-athletes," Fagg said. "We review before anyone comes to school that they are an NCAA qualifier."

No irregularity

Leslie Washington said she was told Miami first learned of the ACT allegation on July 14. "Why they waited to tell us is something we still want to know," she said.

Washington said her son, who is classified as learning disabled, scored 750 on the SAT exam, then later scored 24 on the ACT. Under the NCAA's sliding scale for initial eligibility -- a combination of the standardized test score and grade-point average in core subjects -- Washington was a qualifier.

"The first test [SAT] was timed," she said. "For an L.D. student, I thought that was pretty good. But we looked into the ACT and found Bobby was eligible for a reader and would not be timed on the test. The person giving the [ACT] test could read the question up to 10 times.

"Bobby took the test at [Killian High], with one of the school counselors present. He presented an ID. He never left the room. So what was there to investigate? People may say, 'Oh, it jumped so much,' but there's a big difference in the testing."

Leslie Washington said she was told that at the Aug. 2 meeting at the university, a speaker phone would be provided and that someone from the ACT testing service would be available to answer questions about the score.

Washington said Miami officials told them, "'We're questioning the ACT, but if they call and say everything is OK, we'll accept him.' But no one was at the meeting but Hernandez and Merk. There was no speaker phone. Nothing was set up."

Washington said the family contacted an official at the ACT testing service, who said there was no irregularity with the exam.

"Bobby told them about the accusation and was told, 'Your test score stands,' " Leslie Washington said. "He was told, 'We do not have a problem, the problem lies with the University of Miami.' "

ACT director of media relations Ken Gullette declined to comment Tuesday on Washington's score.

Top-five talent

Bobby Washington, whom N.C. State has not made available to the media, generally was rated among the nation's five best running backs last year by recruiting services. Leslie Washington said she and Washington's father favored N.C. State during the recruiting process but that Bobby had been a lifelong Hurricanes fan and wanted to play at Miami.

"His father and I thought it would be best for Bobby to go away to school," she said.

Bobby Washington selected NCSU even though the Pack has a stable of tailbacks including junior T.A. McLendon and touted freshman Darrell Blackman.

"The great ones aren't worried about who's on the depth chart," said NCSU assistant coach Curt Cignetti, the Pack's recruiting coordinator. "We've got great contacts in south Florida. We've got a lot of kids from south Florida, and the [recruits] know that. And we got lucky."

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

" Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but be a new and different person with a fresh newness in all you do and think."

This could be fun.

Aug 11, 2004, 6:39 AM

LOTS of kids have had a high test score questioned and been asked to retake the exam on the basis of one high and one low test score. There has long been a bit of a question about if a test score had to be repeatable or if just a lucky score would 'qualify' you for school.

There have also been 'allegations' and rumors regarding verbally administered tests. Apparently the Washington family wants to go to court. There is a chance they will clear the air for themselves and for many kids who may come down the pike in the future with a similiar story. That would be good.

WHAT's with the use of the word "CHILD" by the Mom here? It's pretty silly to call Bobby Washington a CHILD.

Harley

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Way to go UM. Admit a kid with a rap sheet that would

Aug 11, 2004, 7:52 AM

impress a mob boss, but get one phone call claiming a kid cheated on his test and slam the door in his face.

Gotta admire a school that stands on principle...

badge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-snuffys.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

...I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else where I was capable of thinking for myself. Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent.

There's more to it than that...

Aug 11, 2004, 8:37 AM

the papers are not reporting a lot of stuff about this kid cheating. He was busted pure and simple. They supposedly caught the other kid trying to take it for him.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"They supposedly caught the other kid"?

Aug 11, 2004, 9:30 AM

Heck, let's string him up then. Who needs more evidence than that?

badge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-snuffys.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

...I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else where I was capable of thinking for myself. Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent.

Re: There's more to it than that...

Aug 11, 2004, 10:17 AM [ in reply to There's more to it than that... ]

Correct me if I am wrong, but it would be kind of silly for Bobby Washington & his family to continue to bring this up in the media, get the ACT board involved, & even threaten a lawsuit if there was really a “2nd test taker out on the grassy knoll”.

It was odd for Bobby to curse in his interview.......

Aug 11, 2004, 10:20 AM

..that was widely quoted in the Miami media, but he did.

It's odd to refer to Bobby Washington as a child, but his Momma did.

The whole story is odd. I'm hoping it proves embarassing to State.

Harley

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It'll be embarassing to CU when Bobby runs over, through the

Aug 11, 2004, 12:12 PM

CU defense. Just as Mr. McLendon did two years ago on that Thursday night.......

Chuck is 2-2 in his years at NCState.

Aug 11, 2004, 12:47 PM

Amato has broken even with Clemson in his tenure at State so this will be the match that gives Tommy BACK the lead or give Chuck his first lead. It ought to be a good game.

Washington should be a fine running back for you. He's toting some bad PR, but that doesn't mean he can't run.

Harley

Yes, it should be a good game.

Aug 11, 2004, 1:41 PM

I appreciate most of your posts as I think they are well thought out and level headed. I just took issue with this statement:

"I'm hoping it proves embarassing to State".

Best of luck to you this season--except Oct 30~!

Well to be fair......

Aug 11, 2004, 1:53 PM

I've got a grudge against State that I need to get over.

I work with lots of State grads and I have the feeling we should be allies rather than enemies. In Virgnia, I like the Hokies over the Wahoos. In Georgia, I like GT over the Dawgs. Somehow that falls apart at Carter Finley Stadium.

I've been to 10-15 games up there and I've routinely had a less than great experience. I've found your fans to be inexplicably rude and agressive. I don't know the source of the enmity, but as nearly as I can tell, MOST state fans have a hard spot for Clemson.

About 7 or 8 years ago, following another weird experience at State, I decided to return the favor and have a hard spot for the Wolfpack. My Wolfpack buddies at work don't understand, but the sentiment I'm expressing here seems to be pretty common on Tigernet.

Harley

I know what you mean---

Aug 11, 2004, 2:03 PM

The friendly rivalry of the Textile Bowl schools seems to have slid into some pretty intense distaste between the 2 schools. The fact of the matter is both schools are so similiar in curiculum and student body.

My folks have season tickets at CU and I go to some games and when it's not NCSU, I will pull for Clemson. I was there last year at the team beat down of FSU and loved every minute of it.

We all have bad game stories and I have had bad experiences at Clemson games. Always seems to be the night games...

Nonetheless, you guys are due against us and I too expect a good game this Oct 30!

Well to be fair......

Aug 11, 2004, 1:53 PM [ in reply to Yes, it should be a good game. ]

I've got a grudge against State that I need to get over.

I work with lots of State grads and I have the feeling we should be allies rather than enemies. In Virgnia, I like the Hokies over the Wahoos. In Georgia, I like GT over the Dawgs. Somehow that falls apart at Carter Finley Stadium.

I've been to 10-15 games up there and I've routinely had a less than great experience. I've found your fans to be inexplicably rude and agressive. I don't know the source of the enmity, but as nearly as I can tell, MOST state fans have a hard spot for Clemson.

About 7 or 8 years ago, following another weird experience at State, I decided to return the favor and have a hard spot for the Wolfpack. My Wolfpack buddies at work don't understand, but the sentiment I'm expressing here seems to be pretty common on Tigernet.

Harley

Worst Fans in the ACC: Terps BY A LONG SHOT*******

Aug 11, 2004, 2:04 PM

Long shot? No, afraid not, the 'Pack fans are CLOSE

Aug 11, 2004, 2:07 PM

That being said at least the 'Pack doesnt take decades between good teams and have had plenty to cheer about when Maryland was being shutout by us in consecutive years....

Only at CU can you have a realistic chance at

Aug 11, 2004, 2:17 PM

being cussed out with every word imaginable (yes-that one too) by a woman with one child in her arms and another child standing next to her holding her hand.

Only at Clemson.

I can only laugh at the stupidity you display.***

Aug 11, 2004, 2:19 PM

Re: Only at CU can you have a realistic chance at

Aug 11, 2004, 2:22 PM [ in reply to Only at CU can you have a realistic chance at ]

that is complete BS!!!!and U know it!!!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ONLY in Raliegh do student PUNKS

Aug 11, 2004, 2:42 PM [ in reply to Only at CU can you have a realistic chance at ]

curse out senior citizens...break off antennas, throw beer cans (empty and full)at people etc etc...only in Raleigh

No, it happens in Clemson too....

Aug 11, 2004, 2:44 PM

WHEN FREAKIN' NC STATE COMES TO TOWN

Re: No, it happens in Clemson too....

Aug 12, 2004, 12:16 PM

Hey...I live in the SC so I get my fair share of Clemson talk all of the time. The only negative thing I can really say about Clemson fans is that their belief in their team is sooo strong that they often find it hard to look at their team with an unbiased eye.

I told one of my Clemson buddies 2 years ago that Clemson was about a 1 or 2 years away from being a solid team again, but they needed time to get the young team up to speed & add some depth. He scoffed at me and told me they had the talent to win the ACC. Two years later…the young team has gotten older and they added some depth…

I have been continually told that NCSU is going to get run over by Clemson this season only to point to the fact that we are probably better team with much more depth than we were last year even with #17 gone.

I have been to a couple of games at Clemson and have never had a bad time. I think it is a great place to play and a great place to watch the game; however, if a fan starts to talk smack I WILL talk smack back. Especially when a Clemson fan gets in my grill after a great play by Miller to return a fumbled kick-off to score in a game that NCSU was controlling only to have J-Co take an onside kick in for a TD. :o)

Hmm overconfident versus back window smashed out by

Aug 12, 2004, 12:20 PM

####### NC State fans.

NOT much of a comparison is it.

Re: ONLY in Raliegh do student PUNKS

Aug 12, 2004, 12:18 PM [ in reply to ONLY in Raliegh do student PUNKS ]

SteveP - NCSU fans are angels compared to the fans that attend $EC games. You leave an LSU without an injury than you should consider yourself lucky.

Huh?

Aug 11, 2004, 8:46 AM [ in reply to Way to go UM. Admit a kid with a rap sheet that would ]

Washington scored 750 on an SAT and the equivalent of 1110 on an ACT. That's why Miami asked for a retest.

A jump that HUGE is often a cause for concern and OFTEN leads to a request for a retest. It's happened at Clemson before. When requesting a retest, I don't think the school is accusing the player of cheating, but rather prudently looking to see if the player is qualified to be admitted under NCAA rules.

IF Washington sues and IF the court finds in his favor this COULD help a lot of athletes coming down the road. HOWEVER, I don't think the court will take away an institutions right to choose who to admit. As far as I can tell pretty much 100% of the talking about WHY Washington wasn't admitted came from Washington's side of the discussion, not Miami's.

It's sort of cool that State is pissing off Miami before they play.

Harley

Harley

Not sure of your point.

Aug 11, 2004, 9:29 AM

From the article, I didn't really get Miami's side of why they didn't admit Washington. Yes, I realize that most of the "why" talk came from Washington and his mom.

Is the jump in scores between the SAT and the ACT a red flag? Yes. Does the LD distinction and the use of a reader do address that situation? Yes. According to NCSU, the kid was cleared through the NCAA clearinghouse. Is it legitimate for a school to refuse to admit a cleared student? Yes.

Is it legitimate for me to give UM a jab for shutting out an LD kid while admitting a kid with a background of criminal behavior that reads like a resume for the mob? Yes.

I'd rather rag State and support Miami than vice versa.

Aug 11, 2004, 10:18 AM

While it might not be popular, in a pissing contest between Miami and State, I favor Miami.

Dogging Miami is almost a national sport. Seems like EVERY guy writng in the media and most writing on message boards trashes Miami. State gets a free ride. Given State's history, I don't like that.

State has a habit of admitting guys with odd academic historys who've been rejected by a pretty wide assortment of schools. State has a long history of pretty horrible 'students' playing football and basketball for them, they have a history of player arrests and foolishess that rivals anyone's, they've been on probation more often than most and that never gets mentioned, and they have a known doper as a strength and conditioning coach.

Despite all the fodder, I think State enjoys relatively little public nagging. I'm trying to make up for it.

Harley

Re: I'd rather rag State and support Miami than vice versa.

Aug 11, 2004, 11:45 AM

In the long history of most universities, I believe that most schools have some kids that ended up going to their school that they are not necessarily proud of, but knocking a school for taking a LD kid is not really a good policy.

Ray Robinson, former player from the Palmeto state, was a learning disabled kid who enrolled at NCSU during the O’Cain era. Ray was a model student-athlete who worked hard on and off the field who eventually received his degree.

Torry Holt was a guy that “UNC passed on” after high school, because he did not have the grades to make it into D1 college. After a year of working to get his grades up, Torry remembered O’Cain’s/NCSU’s loyalty and joined the program. I am not sure you can find a better role model for a kid growing up than Torry Holt who earned his degree and suggested his brother stay an extra year to do so as well.

There are tons of cases in all school’s history (Clemson, Miami, NCSU alike) where kids are given opportunities to earn their degree that were not necessarily great students in HS, but these are not the cases that make it to the front page of the newspapers. Lets be honest, I am a product of the state school system and often times these kids do not get the help they need to be successful through school. I do not think it is fair to judge a school only on whom they take in to their program, but also on those that graduate out of their programs.

“Despite all the fodder, I think State enjoys relatively little public nagging. I'm trying to make up for it.” –

You obviously are not privy to the triangle media that has spent the past two decades lambasting NCSU. It is to be expected when the writers/talk show hosts that write/discuss these stories are UNC, Maryland, and ECU graduates. Sloppy journalism that has a habit of using comments like “where there is smoke, there is fire” without ever offering any proof other than message board speculation.

The 80s were hell for NCSU plain and simple. The News & Observer literally raked the university over the coals for 10 years to the point than left the athletic programs holding on for dear life.

Well "Stated" BullyBudd

Aug 11, 2004, 12:25 PM

especially this line: "I do not think it is fair to judge a school only on whom they take in to their program, but also on those that graduate out of their programs."

Hear Hear..

Seems like outside of Raleigh, State gets a free ride.......

Aug 11, 2004, 12:57 PM [ in reply to Re: I'd rather rag State and support Miami than vice versa. ]

...in the media.

I haven't seen much about bad about State in the Charlotte papers. Last year you guys came out of spring training and August talking about a national title. YOu lost twice in Sept and finished 4th in the league and pretty much got a free ride despite not nearly meeting expectations.

Your defense gave up a zillion points last year and everyone always hears about your great athletes.

Yall gave O'Cain almost NO support even when he was beating FSU, Texas and so forth. Once you fired him, it seems like the pocketbook really opened up WIDE for Amato. Not too much harsh I've seen in the news for running off O'Cain, one of the really nice guys in all of college coaching. Somehow I missed the press crucifying you when you fired a guy who took you to 3 bowls in 6 years and recruited pretty well for you. The two years before Amato, O'Cain gave you ACC Rookie of the Year. I think you escaped catching hell for firing O'Cain precisely because all the attention was focused on what was happening at UNC.

Now you got this pipeline going to Florida, chuck's wearing his silly shades and getting parades for finishing 4th.

I call that mostly good press.

Harley

People in glass houses shouldn't throw rocks

Aug 11, 2004, 2:23 PM

As for the dismissing of O'Cain, the administration felt it was time to make a change.

You need to remember we had lost the LAST 7 YEARS IN A ROW against our archrival. The final straw was the end of the season where we lost to a UNC team that ended up 3-8 when we clearly had more talent; then the next week we lost at ECU 24-7.

I daresay Mr. Bowden wouldn't be kept around CU long enough to have 7 cracks at beating USC if that were the case.

Then what would you be saying about "running off one of the good guys in college football".

Everyone says it to us about Hatfield....

Aug 11, 2004, 2:27 PM

...before they look at the facts.

So turnabout is fair play.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people who ask questions.

Re: Seems like outside of Raleigh, State gets a free ride.......

Aug 12, 2004, 4:28 PM [ in reply to Seems like outside of Raleigh, State gets a free ride....... ]

Someone was about to make a sweet buck off of selling Tommy Bowden effigies last season until you guys beat FSU. You guys were 1 game away from packing his bags for him, but he finished up the season strong winning the games he had to keep his job.

O’Cain had 7 opportunities to win that game and he failed miserably at doing so, but it was not JUST about UNC. O’Cain had a knack for beating the top teams of the day Syracuse, FSU, and Texas, but he would follow up those great victories with losses to a team like Baylor. The emotional rollercoaster for NCSU fans was so hectic that we forgot what it meant to enjoy preseason football. Recruiting was a shot in the dark when it came to O’Cain with NCSU not even being a dot on the map for most top recruits.

Why was there not a big deal made about his firing in the national news? Well…was it national news really? In the years O’Cain was a coach here did you ever look on your schedule and think, “Hmm…that may be a tough game this year”. In the national media, the only thing they ever knew about our program was that we had one heck of a WR who could literally carry the team on his back.

O’Cain was one of the nicest guys you would ever meet, but not one that should have been entrusted with a football program. Great with QBs, decent OC, but no way was he ready to handle HC. The fans knew this and had no faith in him or the program’s direction so it makes sense they kept their wallets closed. It is not a coincidence that after finishing the season as well as you guys did that the administration followed that up with a nice bump in price for football tickets. It is amazing what a little optimism can do to the budget of the athletic department is it not.

I see. I'm up for ragging both. If you wanna give State a

Aug 11, 2004, 12:03 PM [ in reply to I'd rather rag State and support Miami than vice versa. ]

ration of dung for taking UM rejects, I'm all for that as well.

Calling out Chris McDuffie, Akil Smith, Antwan Wyatt,

Aug 11, 2004, 12:15 PM [ in reply to I'd rather rag State and support Miami than vice versa. ]

the list goes on and on.........

Owned

Aug 11, 2004, 12:17 PM

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/writers/mike_fish/08/06/hunter.ncstate/

Hope you can find a way out of that glass house.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Chris Washburn. The list stops here.

Aug 11, 2004, 1:04 PM [ in reply to Calling out Chris McDuffie, Akil Smith, Antwan Wyatt, ]

Washburn.......Stole from fellow students, constantly in trouble, never in class and he was always eligible at State. As one of his teammates said...

"Chris never went to school. He'd come to some classes, but he was never there enough times to pass. But 'V' gets you through school if he wants to. I believe that ever since Chris got to State, I would be surprised if he ever passed a class. And he still managed to play."

Harley

It's a good thing when Miami hates you. We relish it*******

Aug 11, 2004, 12:13 PM [ in reply to Huh? ]

Replies: 36
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic