Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Bleacher Report says Lamar Jackson #5 QB taken in draft
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

Bleacher Report says Lamar Jackson #5 QB taken in draft

Apr 20, 2018, 9:45 AM

Didn't he win the Heisman Trophy?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2768979?iid=ob_article_footer_expansion

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Bleacher Report says Lamar Jackson #5 QB taken in draft

Apr 20, 2018, 9:48 AM

Yep, for being the best college football player that season. Doesn't mean much in regards to the draft

Apr 20, 2018, 9:56 AM

^ Derrick Henry agrees....won Heisman, drafted 3rd round.

Apr 20, 2018, 10:05 AM

And Baker Mayfield just won it, and he'all be the 3rd or 4th QB drafted

Apr 20, 2018, 9:54 AM

honestly in the right system his ceiling could be franchise QB but he needs a heavy RPO system run out of the gun with a good QB coach and a better RB and Oline we have seen what a bad Oline means for him against quality D

I think most people figured him out, even during his Heisman

Apr 20, 2018, 10:15 AM

year.Rush him hard all game, hit him a couple of times and make him make quick decisions and he'll screw up. The way you let him kill you is you play zone and spy him all game. He'll kill you then b/c he's faster than any linebacker so the spy is a wasted player. You just have to pressure him all game. He'll throw picks and make bad decisions and sometimes will break through and hurt you but not enough to win in the end.

Somebody on his coaching staff or in his inner circle told him to be more of a pocket passer last year and not run as much b/c he is a sure TD from the 10 yard line and in will his running ability and I hardly ever saw him QB sneak on a RPO last year. He was either handing it off (wasted play b/c hes the best RB they had) or passing it. After I saw that more than a couple times i knew they weren't interested in winning games last year. Just trying to get him stats.

I think they mostly figured out that his OL was god awful

Apr 20, 2018, 10:27 AM

Usually with a QB like that you want to be careful rushing too far upfield and giving him running lanes to escape through. In this case, however, their OL was so bad that a heavy pass rush could basically just collapse the entire offensive line on top of him. It turned out he was pretty ineffective under pressure.

I don't love him as a QB prospect. He does have a good arm and he's capable of making good throws, but he's just too inaccurate and too inconsistent, and his mechanics just aren't great. He doesn't always look good in his drops and he throws off balance a lot which sometimes causes his passes to either sail or bounce short.

On the other hand, he's practically Michael Vick 2.0 and Michael Vick definitely had his moments in the NFL. The question is really whether or not a team wants to try to tailor an offense around his skill set and take on the risks associated with him. He could be injury prone (like Vick) due to that style of play, he could be a bust at QB and end up at another position, or he just be a complete bust. Is there enough upside to justify all of that? Not for a 1st round pick, at least not IMO. It only takes 1 team though.

Re: OL was god awful- a couple years old but I still

Apr 20, 2018, 11:37 AM

think this epitomizes them and their program https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWiYcMpZqOU

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: OL was god awful- a couple years old but I still

Apr 20, 2018, 4:45 PM

The old "fall on my backside" trick. You are right. Lewisville specializes in that one.

I think hes worth a 3rd round pick at the highest.***

Apr 23, 2018, 8:59 AM [ in reply to I think they mostly figured out that his OL was god awful ]

Apr 20, 2018, 10:16 AM

So if Allen goes #1, does that mean he should have won all the QB awards?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 20, 2018, 4:53 PM

Correlating stats from a college team to NFL doesn't relate, requires a size build and drive in which most people don't see out of LJ but Baker is different, better passer and better tools to succeed on the next level, Allen is a pure passer and is phenomenal but had a horrible team around him. Big difference.

Apr 23, 2018, 10:14 AM

You missed my point which is the same as yours. College stats and awards are most often meaningless when projecting success. So thank you for reinforcing.

The OP was puzzled that a Heisman award winner would be projected 5th QB taken. It seems the OP believes that a Heisman trophy winner translates into a higher pick. So using the OPs logic, I guess whoever gets picked #1 should have won the Heisman.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He will never be an NFL QB

Apr 20, 2018, 10:21 AM

Quaker Mayflower wont be one either. This years QB class is terrible. Despite what that buffoon Walt says, these guys just arnt NFL qb's, sorry.

Disagree on a couple of points. I actually like Mayfield

Apr 20, 2018, 10:47 AM

as a QB prospect. He might not be physically impressive, but he's very smart, he's great at avoiding pressure and throwing from outside the pocket, and he's typically very accurate. I think he's a legit top 10 pick. I think his character issue are a bit overblown too. Sure he's acted like a first rate d-bag on multiple occasions and I'm not a big fan of his personally, but i think those are mostly maturity issues that he will grow out of. On the other hand, i love his passion and his fire. I think that's an underrated quality in a lot of great players.

Also, how is this a terrible QB class? When comparing it to other recent QB classes it seems pretty darn good. I mean it's not likely to turn out to be 2004 (Roethlisberger, Eli Manning, Rivers, Schaub) or 1983 (Elways, Jim Kelly, Marino), but name another recent QB class that looked better heading into the draft.

If you want to know what a truly bad QB class looks like go look up 2013.

Re: He will never be an NFL QB

Apr 20, 2018, 4:55 PM [ in reply to He will never be an NFL QB ]

Mayfield is an NFL QB, also so is Josh Allen and Mason Rudolph who's going to end up a steal, I like Darnold but there's something he's missing for me to want to take him. This years QB draft has a lot of potential stars.

He's basically Chase Daniel out of Missouri... he'll make a

Apr 23, 2018, 9:03 AM [ in reply to He will never be an NFL QB ]

team and be a perennial backup. Hey there's good money in that.

Apr 20, 2018, 10:22 AM

TE from Cooterlina is a first rounder ? That won't happen .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Apr 20, 2018, 12:49 PM

He'll likely be first TE taken. late first, early second in most mock drafts.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lamar isn't too smart

Apr 20, 2018, 12:54 PM

He scored a 13 on the Wonderlic test. Might not be able to grasp complex schemes and NFL playbooks.

Re: Lamar isn't too smart

Apr 20, 2018, 4:56 PM

NFL playbooks tend to be a bit more simple.

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic