Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Big 5 Conference Autonomy
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1

Big 5 Conference Autonomy

Jul 22, 2014, 11:56 PM

Suppose the NCAA eventually gives the big 5 conferences the autonomy and this opens the door for an expanded playoff to determine the national title. If this forces Notre Dame to join the ACC in football, who would you like to round out the 16th team assuming no defections from the other big 5 conferences? While Swofford seems to love going north, I would prefer another southern school. Since TV markets are important, what would you think about Tulane, SMU or Houston?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If we are gonna go by

Jul 23, 2014, 12:32 AM

Hypotheticals, then I would love to see a school like Georgia Southern, they have great tradition and there's nothing like Paulson on a Saturday (except for Death Valley of course!)... Others would be a school like Georgia State, but GT kinda has that market, maybe like an App St, or schools like UCF or USF to expand into the flordia market even more. Idk it's a fun thing to debate.

SMU

Jul 23, 2014, 12:35 AM

Would also be a great chance to spread into the Texas market, another thing would be to get like UL Monroe and UL Lafayette in a package deal to expand into the Louisiana market, but LSU kinda dominates it

The ACC is already in NC,Georgia and Florida. Its all about

Jul 23, 2014, 12:37 AM [ in reply to If we are gonna go by ]

adding new states and households for TV Dollars.

I would prefer another southern school also preferably in a

Jul 23, 2014, 12:35 AM

SEC state the ACC is not currently in: Tulane, Memphis or Southern Miss would do.

Under your scenario and in a basketball-centric ACC....

Jul 23, 2014, 7:59 AM

the league would likely go after UConn or Cincinnati IMO. UCF would be a distant third.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

In order: WVU, Navy, UConn, UCF, USF. Assuming no Big 5

Jul 23, 2014, 9:13 AM

schools are on the table aside from WVU.

null

West Virginia would be the best pick.

Jul 23, 2014, 9:15 AM

Bigtime football and basketball in a new market.

They also have to be hating the travel and expense of membership in the Big 12. I'm not sure what their buyout would be, but in the long term it would certainly make sense for them.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Big XII's exist fee is in the $25 million range, but

Jul 23, 2014, 9:28 AM

schools like Colorado, Nebraska, Missouri, and Texas A&M were successful in negotiating the amount down to about .50 cents on the dollar or $12.4 million.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

I really don't get why people mention UCF or USF. They will

Jul 23, 2014, 10:14 AM

never be invited to the ACC unless half the conference leaves including FSU and Miami. The ACC has the state of Florida covered. Every conference expansion has been about adding new states to your footprint for more TV $.

Re: I really don't get why people mention UCF or USF. They will

Jul 23, 2014, 10:26 AM

No way we take ucon. The acc I thinks sees the error in going north to non football school. It would have to be UCF. Huge school 50000 plus students. The acc would dominant the state of fla which is huge. I would also ask wake to leave and bring in someone else.

Although anything can happen these days, I'd be surprised

Jul 23, 2014, 10:34 AM

to see a scenario whereby Wake would be asked to leave.

Honestly, I think Clemson would strongly oppose such a move due to a decades-long, fairly good friendship between the two schools.

As for adding another program, though straying from the OP's parameters, I've long believed the ACC should go after Penn State despite their tie-ins to the B1G.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Although anything can happen these days, I'd be surprised

Jul 23, 2014, 11:04 AM

Although I think that it would be great to get them, the Penn State idea would have been much more plausible prior to the Maryland defection.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 12
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic