Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Beating ND in Death Valley was the very last time Clemson
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 5
| visibility 1

Beating ND in Death Valley was the very last time Clemson

Dec 16, 2018, 9:47 PM

was ranked outside of the Top 10. After knocking off #6 ND in the rain back in 2015, Clemson moved up to #6 themselves, and have stayed there for 58 straight polls--the remainder of the entire career for this Senior Class

Interestingly enough, the week before the Irish came to town, Clemson dropped from #11 to #12, the first of 6 times that has happened without a loss over the last 4 years (2x each in '15, '16, '18). We are 41-2 in those seasons, and 1 win away from Championship Game appearances in all 3 of those years where the AP voters yet again showed their bias/ignorance.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Beating ND in Death Valley was the very last time Clemson

Dec 16, 2018, 10:06 PM

I had to pause my gingerbread house construction when I read this .

Would do again . Thanks for posting something like this .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Dec 16, 2018, 10:19 PM

You're kidding! Me too Dug!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 16, 2018, 11:13 PM

Makes my blood boil when we win and still drop in the polls. We seem to be the only top ten team that has this happening multiple times in a year and then repeat it again the next year. I was looking at another forum earlier today and the discussion was about the dominance of the SEC. Lots of TV type blather but no clear cut stats. So I looked it up. Over the last 10 years the SEC vs ACC record is 53-42. I don’t really consider the last 10 years to be any golden age for ACC football, but I wouldn’t call a 53-42 record a domination either.

Dec 17, 2018, 12:59 AM

While I certainly don't like dropping either (especially with the quality of teams we've had the last 4 years), there are 33 instances just in the last 50 years where the AP #1 team dropped in the poll even after winning. In fact, the last time it happened, Ohio State beat Minnesota by 2 TDs and fell out of the top spot for...Clemson! We beat Florida State 23-13 that week in 2015.

Here are the teams, and number of times it has happened to them. I was surprised that some schools we think of as getting the benefit of the doubt have also been 'disrespected'. Of course, you could also look at it as though they have gotten the benefit of the doubt so many times that it was obvious they weren't the real number one team after seeing them play.

Oklahoma 5
Miami 4
Ohio St 3
Florida 3
Alabama 2
Notre Dame 2
Florida St 2
Nebraska 2
USC 2 (Don't go there JHop--we all know the Coots have NEVER been ranked #1)
Penn St 2
Washington 2
Georgia 1
Texas 1
Oregon 1
Pitt 1

Dec 17, 2018, 8:53 AM

It’s hard to believe that #1 drops in the Poll despite winning roughly around 3 times every 5 years for the last half century.

But, sure enough, it has happened 3 times since the 2014 season. Just seems like ESPN would lose their mind if that happened to an SEC team these days

Replies: 5
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic