Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Basketball recruiting
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

Basketball recruiting

Jul 29, 2020, 8:06 AM

It's almost seems as if the Little John renovations has improved recruiting drastically. 3 top 100 players in the same class? Never been done before at Clemson. This is especially significant because last class was the best class he has signed, and now this one is even better. Let's string 3 in a row!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Basketball recruiting

Jul 29, 2020, 8:11 AM

It could be. I remember hearing months ago that we were getting looks from much higher profile players. I would love to see Clemson be good in both football and hoops routinely. Maybe we are starting to see that

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 29, 2020, 8:14 AM

I think it is a product of our success in football getting players attention and the facilities not letting them down when they arrive on campus. From the time these players started dribbling a ball Clemson has been a household name. Win a few championships when they are approaching high school and suddenly we are a real option.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Jul 29, 2020, 11:35 AM

Can anyone ever give Brownell credit here?

Why hasn't Alabama always been good in basketball? LSU? the list goes on and on. Does that only correlate from Football to basketball?

Why isn't Duke Football reaping the success of Duke basketball?

I remember Brownell stated at a Prowl and Growl that we wouldn't have gotten the Donnel transfer if it wasn't for the facility upgrades. Donnal was huge in our Sweet 16 run.

I think facilities are the number 1 reason why we are recruiting better. The sweet 16 helped as well as the high profile wins we had last year. Football success has little to do with it IMO

Jul 29, 2020, 3:31 PM [ in reply to Re: Basketball recruiting ]

Don’t mean to be hateful, but this has nothing to do with football. Most of these guys couldn’t care less about football.

We’ve been really good at football for almost 10 years now. We got sorely needed facilities just a few years ago, and recruiting has improved ever since. That’s why.

LMAO!

Jul 29, 2020, 3:35 PM [ in reply to Re: Basketball recruiting ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

So much truth here I think

Jul 29, 2020, 3:48 PM [ in reply to Re: Basketball recruiting ]

I'm still on the fence about CBB. Like really dont have an opinion of him other than I want him to do well. I'm just not bball savvy enough to critique him.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Sweet 16 trip recently doesnt hurt matters either

Jul 29, 2020, 8:25 AM

I know its not much but at least we can point to that as a bright spot. That and our recent string of upsets from last year. But I agree with other posters: our biggest asset is football success.

Football has nothing to do with basketball success.

Jul 29, 2020, 3:59 PM

If you think basketball players choose a school based on its football success, you have no idea what goes into a basketball recruit's decision making process. Generally speaking, a basketball recruit looks at which program will help him improve his skills with the chance to play professionally. Facilities are very important as well, as is quality of competition. How good the school is at football is not on the list, and if it is, it's at the bottom.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Uh yes it does

Jul 29, 2020, 4:12 PM

Enrollment and applications continue to rise the last decade and that correlates with football success. Football has created a bigger spotlight on Clemson University and that impact trickles into other sports too. Kids want to come to Clemson now more than ever before. If you think it doesn't have an impact then you're just being naive.

Re: Uh yes it does

Jul 29, 2020, 4:21 PM

Enrollment and applications continue to rise the last decade and that correlates with football success. Football has created a bigger spotlight on Clemson University and that impact trickles into other sports too. Kids want to come to Clemson now more than ever before. If you think it doesn't have an impact then you're just being naive.

For the average joe student the success of football does matter but for other sport athletes what Judge said is spot on.

If you truly believe that our football success is

Jul 29, 2020, 4:24 PM [ in reply to Uh yes it does ]

the reason for the caliber of our student body as well as our success in basketball recruiting, there really isn't any point in us continuing this discussion.

Applications to Clemson started increasing under President Barker, roughly 20 years ago. The caliber of Clemson's incoming student body in terms of average GPA and average SAT score has risen throughout that time. That is the result of aggressive changes President Barker began making, including improvements in our graduate school offerings, attracting key professors, and reducing class sizes. Clemson has been very intentional in marketing itself better and carving out a niche for itself academically during that time. You can make a case that Clemson is a "public Ivy" these days.

The rise of student loan availability certainly played a role as well in getting more applications. That can't be ignored.

Is going to football games a fun and meaningful part of the Clemson experience? Of course it is. Is it why 99.9% of students, including basketball players, choose Clemson? No.

If football success were the driver you seem to think it is, we would see all big time football programs have great basketball recruiting success and also have super competitive admissions for the general student body. But that simply isn't the case.

Re: Uh yes it does

Jul 29, 2020, 4:26 PM [ in reply to Uh yes it does ]

Yes, football does factor in normal students enrolling. But not so much basketball players. As judge says it's the coach, facilities, and recent success.

With your logic, the SEC should have been crushing it in basketball in the 2000's but they haven't. Why?

I went to App State when we were winning national championships every year. It did impact enrollment numbers but had 0 impact on our basketball team. We sucked!

Also coach BB has been there a while now***

Jul 29, 2020, 10:26 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You can say that again.

Jul 29, 2020, 9:49 PM

About 6 years too long actually.

Also coach BB has been there a while now***

Jul 28, 2024, 11:31 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Love to see us have even the success of Fl St

Jul 29, 2020, 3:43 PM

in hoops the last 10 years.
Not sure who TDd you.. some people.

Go TIGERS!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Jul 29, 2020, 4:14 PM

Barnes' 2nd class had 3 top 100, I believe Wideman was actually rated he highest of the bunch, followed by Christie and Jamison.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 29, 2020, 6:45 PM

Tom was a big boy in person. Questionable judgment on the court at times, but disruptive in the paint and solid rebounder. He was a lot more agile than he got credit for.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic