Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Basketball Complainers
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 47
| visibility 1

Basketball Complainers

Dec 9, 2019, 8:54 AM

After the disappointing season last year, all we heard is how bad we were going to be this year because we basically lost everyone.

Now that we are struggling, some of you idiots seem surprised that we are struggling. What has changed?

If you have been watching Clemson basketball for 20+ years, you should know that we haven't always gotten the best recruits. You should know that most our players come in very raw and they need a couple years to develop to be competent in ACC basketball.

On top of this, two of our projected starters have been out all year. Please name a Clemson team that would have been successful without two of their starters.

I look at the talent on our roster, and it looks like one of the most talented rosters at Clemson since I have been alive. All of our players actually look like basketball players.

The only senior on the team is Mack.

Khavon Moore (soph) looks to have great potential. He can dribble and shoot for a big. He even played some PG yesterday

Dawes looks like he has the potential to be All ACC by the time he leaves.

Newman is showing promise.

I just don't understand why people are complaining that the season is panning out how we all knew it would. I expect to be much improved by the end of the year. If we are not, then there is a problem.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Basketball Complainers

Dec 9, 2019, 8:56 AM

Exactly...2 tournaments in 11 years and 1 in 10 years with CBB's players. Who could ask for more? Well said.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 9, 2019, 8:58 AM

Ok then let's wait to the end of the season. Still think we will see some of the trend we have seen for a numbers of years now.

Dec 9, 2019, 9:03 AM

Tigers now have EIGHT scholarship players eligible and healthy to play. That will not add up to wins in the ACC. Turn that tv off if it’s that miserable to watch. Wrestling is more exciting anyway.

Dec 9, 2019, 9:08 AM

To be fair, we all knew we would suck this year more than likely, but it's just a bummer that another year is down the tubes. What excuses will we have next year? It seems just about every year there is some rational excuse, but its almost every year. Gets old. That said, I really do think we will be a lot better next year if we dont have a bunch of transfers out. Injuries, and those commitments honor them. Thats a big IF though on all of that.

Dec 9, 2019, 9:17 AM

"another year is down the tubes"

hahaha! we are 1/3 of the way done with our schedule. Over-reaction much? This team still has a lot of growning up to do. We just got Baehre back, and Trapp should be back soon.

I expect our team to look much different by the end of the year. Again, if we don't then that is an issue and it falls on Brownell.

Dec 9, 2019, 9:25 AM

This year is done as far as the NCAA tournament will go. You just dont realize it yet. I believe we obviously will be more competitive and will finish stronger with hope for next season, but we are not going to the tournament this season. Any year without the tournament is another year down the tubes.

Dec 9, 2019, 9:52 AM

Yeah, it's not down the tubes. We were very close to making the tourney last year with very similar results thus far.

Our OOC record last year was 10-3 with no good wins. We also started the ACC losing 5 out of 6.

This year, we already have a win against a quality OOC opponent in TCU. We have only had 1 bad loss and that was Minnesota.

Dec 9, 2019, 10:02 AM

Well hopefully we will make a run. I know I will be watching. My goal this year is to just see a lot of promise for next year by years end.

Dec 9, 2019, 10:26 AM

Me too. I love watching Clemson basketball. Especially moreso now that our football season is essentially a 2 game season in the playoffs.

Certain criticism's of Brownell are warranted. And if we don't make the tourney next year, that will be a huge problem. But I love the direction of our basketball program right now with the young talent that we have, and what we have coming in.

Hopefully everything falls into place.

We had not lost 4 games on Dec 9 last year

Dec 9, 2019, 9:56 PM [ in reply to Re: Basketball Complainers ]

Of the December schedule left, Coots can beat us, so can Yale. If we're 6-6 heading in to January are we dancing this year? Heck, if we're 8-4, we still probably don't finish .500. Who are we better than in the league? Wake maybe. I still think VT isnt that good, so maybe them. Who else? Syracuse?

Dec 9, 2019, 10:08 AM [ in reply to Re: Basketball Complainers ]

Tigers now have EIGHT scholarship players eligible and healthy to play. That will not add up to wins in the ACC. Turn that tv off if it’s that miserable to watch. Wrestling is more exciting anyway.

It was back to 9 last night.

Surprised? A coach Brownlee team struggling to win

Dec 9, 2019, 9:01 AM

games is the least surprising thing ever.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Well, the last two years we've averaged 22.5 wins a season.

Dec 9, 2019, 10:45 AM

That's not struggling to win games.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Are you suggesting that, looking at his entire tenure at

Dec 9, 2019, 10:59 AM

Clemson, this year is an outlier?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

I don't know, because we aren't even halfway through

Dec 9, 2019, 11:05 AM

the season yet.

I tend to put more emphasis on the most recent seasons in a coach's tenure, and when I look at those years, I see:

-Two 20 win seasons in a row
-Two years where we were .500 or better in the ACC
-Two years of postseason play, including one of our best seasons in program history
-A clear uptick in the caliber of players we are recruiting and signing

It is no coincidence to me that these successes have occurred since Clemson's AD made a commitment to improving the basketball program (new facilities, increased budget for assistant coaches, new support staff, etc.). You know, the same stuff they gave Dabo before he started to really improve things.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: I don't know, because we aren't even halfway through

Dec 9, 2019, 11:12 AM

LOL, we aren't even a third of the way through the season and people are saying this year is a waste.

We are a young team and we knew we would struggle at the beginning of the year.

We have 4 scholarship players hurt, w/ 3 of them being starters or projected starters.

Why do people think we should be crushing it in basketball right now?

Ok, I'll ask again after the season is over.

Dec 9, 2019, 11:24 AM [ in reply to I don't know, because we aren't even halfway through ]

As for Dabo, he won the Atlantic in his first season. He then won 10 games in his 3rd season and has won 10 or more games every season since then. For someone who says football is a bad comparison to basketball at Clemson, you are quick to try and (wrongly) compare Dabo to Brownell.

Re: Ok, I'll ask again after the season is over.

Dec 9, 2019, 1:40 PM

hahahaha! This is one of the worst comparisons I have ever seen!

This clown is comparing our football success to our basketball success!!!

Duke should fire Cutcliffe! Coach K made it to the tournament with Duke during his first year!

Even Duke has better football history than we have basketball!

I guess reading comprehension is not your thing

Dec 9, 2019, 2:11 PM

Judge Karen was the one comparing football and basketball success before asking to speak to the manager. I was merely pointing out how ludicrous that comparison is.

So...thanks for helping to prove my point?

Re: I guess reading comprehension is not your thing

Dec 9, 2019, 3:40 PM

He was comparing how upgraded facilities helped the football team and how they have helped basketball as well. You were the one throwing out record comparisons.

Thanks for spelling it out for GWPTiger.

Dec 9, 2019, 9:29 PM

He and the rest of the TaterNet Hall Monitors are not interested in details. They just want to wear their little badges and make themselves feel important. It’s kinda cute at first, but annoying after a while.

Re: Thanks for spelling it out for GWPTiger.

Dec 9, 2019, 9:52 PM

You are so right JK.....the only details I am interested in is the results .......CBB = Clemson will not be dancing at the Big Dance unless you are willing to wait another 10 years and he gets lucky as h£ll.....like he did with Oliver Purcell’s recruits.......Go Tigers!!!!

Actually, prior to 2015 and playing in the

Dec 9, 2019, 9:48 PM [ in reply to Re: I guess reading comprehension is not your thing ]

Championship Game, all we had was the WEZ. Indoor practice facility was finished during the 2015 season. The new complex not for a couple more years. Dabo was winning the ACC and 10-11 games from 2011 on. We hadn't won the league for 20 years, no recruit he brought in knew us as anything other than an underachieving program.

Facilities are great, but kids are choosing Clemson football for many more substantial reasons than the facilities. Dabo, staff, culture built by them, and winning big. The coots have top flight facilities now, but nothing else, and you see the results.

You’re right, it’s also about allowing our head coach to build the staff he needs.

Dec 9, 2019, 9:58 PM

Initially, Dabo had a much smaller budget for assistant coaches. That’s why we had Kevin Steele as our DC and Billy Napier as our OC. Once our AD approved higher budgets for assistants, we got Chad Morris and Brent Venables and the rest is history.

Although some of the facilities we have now for football weren’t completed until you stated, some of them were still given provisional approval we’ll before that.

Brad just recently got the facilities and staff he has been asking for since early in his tenure. He weathered the storm, and our wins and recruiting have clearly improved since. Surely you are smart enough to see that.

Dabo turned down raises to hire assistants

Dec 9, 2019, 10:01 PM

To say he had all the support in the world is a falacy

Dabo turned down raises to hire assistants

Dec 9, 2019, 10:01 PM [ in reply to You’re right, it’s also about allowing our head coach to build the staff he needs. ]

To say he had all the support in the world is a falacy

and poor Brad has only had

Dec 10, 2019, 8:31 AM [ in reply to You’re right, it’s also about allowing our head coach to build the staff he needs. ]

10 years to build a staff and recruit! Facilities come with winning at a high level consistently not every 4-5 years! Recruits come for culture and a staff that is helping them do what they want, which is win and compete for championships along with facilities.

our Basketball Program has accomplished one of these which is a recent upgrade in facilities, the other things are missing.

Sorry Judge Karen

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Make it idjit proof and someone will make a better idjit.

I know that new facilities have helped Muschamp

Dec 10, 2019, 9:06 AM

immensely this season. And lagging facilities were one of the major reasons for Miami's lack of success in the 80s, 90s, and early 2000s.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Correct, I was pointing out that Judge Karen was wrong

Dec 10, 2019, 8:14 AM [ in reply to Re: I guess reading comprehension is not your thing ]

because Dabo started winning before facilities, and continued winning. Brad Brownell was not a winner before the facilities upgrades, 2 years ago he had a great run to the Sweet 16, but couldn't sustain it the next season and all signs point towards not having that success again this year.

If you need me to, I'd be happy to type it slower for you next time?

Do you think averaging 22.5 wins each of the last two years is struggling to win?***

Dec 9, 2019, 9:47 PM [ in reply to Are you suggesting that, looking at his entire tenure at ]

Will 10-12 wins this year be struggling to win?***

Dec 9, 2019, 9:51 PM

LOL at you passionately arguing for a worst case scenario

Dec 9, 2019, 10:04 PM

that hasn’t even happened yet.

I am choosing to see how the games turn out first, rather than complaining about hypothetical outcomes.

Where are the wins?

Dec 9, 2019, 10:14 PM

I've seen Clyde Trapp play. He's not a difference maker. Hunter and Hemenway are freshmen who will take their lumps, just like Dawes and Moore. You really believe Baehre is a real difference maker?

Jemison is still an athletic project, and he's our only true big. Newman is still inconsistent.

I'd love to see them put it together, I just don't see the pieces this year. There is young talent, but no one on the team has been close to consistent yet, including Simms and Mack.

I think Brad gets next year. But I don't see a tourney team next year either. If everyone hangs around, he'll leave a good foundation for the next coach though.

What's sad is that every year people say

Dec 10, 2019, 8:24 AM

"I think Brad should be back next year but he has to make the tournament or else it's time to move on."

And here we are, again.

It's convenient that you pick out a stretch of 2 seasons

Dec 10, 2019, 8:22 AM [ in reply to Do you think averaging 22.5 wins each of the last two years is struggling to win?*** ]

and one of them was a 25-win season with a run to the Sweet 16. The two years prior were both 17-win seasons. Brad has had 4 20-win seasons at Clemson, and only 2 of those were NCAA tournament years. You can hype up last year all you want to, but I do not consider a team to be successful that just made it to the Sweet 16 the year before, getting bounced in the 2nd round of the NIT. But you do you.

So to answer your question, I do not think the 25 wins 2 years ago is a season where we struggled to win games. Last year and this year are both a different story.

So, you are saying that we will have a better team,

Dec 9, 2019, 9:54 AM

NEXT YEAR? I knew Brad would turn it around.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well, that's not what I was saying, but looking at the

Dec 9, 2019, 11:25 AM

incoming recruiting class I think it's pretty safe to say that next year we will have a better team.

Dec 9, 2019, 9:57 AM

Why is it every year "we are young and injured."

Wins matter.....and CBB isn't getting them. Enjoy his last year here because he's gone in March.

What is Brad's buyout? I could kickstart a lemonade stand

Dec 9, 2019, 10:24 AM

to start a fundraiser or something.

Although, not sure many people would care enough to donate***

Dec 9, 2019, 10:25 AM

Dec 9, 2019, 10:58 AM

Last night, it showed that we are not deep and ran out of gas... but we were well coached and the kids didn't look "young". You could see the defensive response and then the "cold" from tired legs.

Ugg, still support BB but this is going to be tough.

We played 9 guys and had 6 days between games

Dec 9, 2019, 2:18 PM

problem is, our depth didnt play well. Hasnt played well since we've stepped up in competition

Exactly! Why should any Clemson fan be complaining about

Dec 9, 2019, 9:37 PM

expecting ANOTHER season to be a lousy one.

Dec 9, 2019, 9:43 PM

Who you calling an idiot.......can only guess you are looking in the mirror ......Go Tigers!!!!!!

So do you normally call people you disagree with “idiots”

Dec 9, 2019, 9:59 PM

Maybe you’re the idiot , just saying. I understand change scares some people, most people just like to go with the status quo and hope things get better. The simple fact is Brad Is a mediocre coach, and as long as he stays at Clemson we will be a mediocre team, But what do I know? I’m just an idiot

Judge Karen knows stats as well as Tim Bouret.. wait

Dec 9, 2019, 10:13 PM

Didn't I see her honor in a golf cart? Yes, yes I did.

I think we need to perhaps start recruiting better

Dec 10, 2019, 10:04 PM

Always hear the excuse Clemson does not recruit well ... my answer is then start recruiting better. Hire a guy or guys who are good recruiters. I do not understand why they let Oglesby get away, he looked like a good recruiter, heck, I think he might be a good coach !

ALSO

Guys we have now are not bad, I think they just need to practice putting the ball in the basket. One day I like to see a practice (I live far away). How much time is spent on basic fundamentals like putting the ball in the basket ? Or, do the spend an inordinate amount of time practicing dance moves The "X" and "O" thing ? Too much time on theory and not enough time on the practical, ie making layups ?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 47
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic