Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Basketball
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 2,255

Basketball

Mar 11, 2016, 2:07 PM

In a few years the ones on this board will be glad we retained BB and let him build this program the right way. Other than the TRADITIONAL basketball schools in the ACC no school has had CONSISTENT success as far as making the NCAAT. A few years ago an 8-8 record in the conference got you a bid. When OP took us that is all it took. That is not the case anymore. Va. Tech this year surprised people but they have the same record as us in the ACC. I still maintain BB is a very good solid coach. LEAVE HIM ALONE ! If we were having LOSING seasons that would be different. We are 17-14 and have losses to GT(2), VaTech, Virginia(2) NCSU, ND all by 7 or less points. The most we lost in the ACC was 11 I believe at UNC. These are games that could have went either way. We are close and we are doing it with quality players character wise and coaches as well. In the Ga. Tech game the other night we missed free throws that could have put the game away. Even then in OT you have your best player shooting a lane shot that does not go. All ANY coach can do is put players in POSITION to win. He CANNOT make shots for them or get that key rebound. How long did it take Beamer in football before Tech started winning--10 yrs. I believe ! When he turned the corner the pay-off was worth it. BB can do it at Clemson but for a school with no consistent tradition in a conference loaded with traditional powers it will take longer than most care to give in this day of instant gratification. And yes 6 yrs. is not long enough in our case ! If we keep changing coaches every few years we will never get there. If we were finishing 10-20 then the story is different but we are not getting embarrassed. We are competitive and getting a little better each year.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Basketball

Mar 11, 2016, 2:45 PM

Sounds like the same response for the two years before we finally got rid of Bowden and the 3 years before we got rid of Leggett and look what we ended up with. Dabo and Dabo Jr (Lee). It doesn't get any better. So have faith Tiger faithful, Brownell too will pass and Dabo Jr. Jr. may show up.

Well said.

Mar 11, 2016, 2:54 PM

Mar 11, 2016, 2:59 PM [ in reply to Re: Basketball ]

Equating Clemson football and baseball to basketball is ridiculous.

Keep in mind Dabo is the recipient of vastly improved facilities and significantly higher payroll/support staff than Bowden. I am not suggesting Bowden would have done the same things Dabo has done but our basketball program issues fall on many fronts, not just BB.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgtbn_110.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 11, 2016, 3:04 PM

Facilities have nothing to do with a team folding with 8 minutes to play with an 18 point lead. There was an article about body language which I thought was brilliant. The football team under the last few years of Bowden and certainly the baseball team the last few years of Leggett had that same body language. I certainly wouldn't even hint that the BBall players have lost faith in Brownell but the body language certainly is telling.

Along that line of thinking, under

Mar 11, 2016, 3:12 PM

Bowden when something went against us, you could just see the air go out of the balloon and new it was over. With Dabo, I always feel like we could still win, even when things are going wrong. The basketball team under BB reminds me of Bowden's teams.

Mar 11, 2016, 3:22 PM [ in reply to Re: Basketball ]

I do agree and think that may have been BB's worst coaching game. But, Duke blew a 16 point lead so let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater. Give him a year or two after the LJ renovations before we show him the door.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgtbn_110.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No, but those facilities do help recruiting.

Mar 11, 2016, 3:45 PM [ in reply to Re: Basketball ]

It's amazing how much better our football team is now that it gets significantly better talent. That happened when we put money into facilities.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

While agree they some role, let's not take anything

Mar 11, 2016, 4:35 PM

away from Dabo and staff or give BB a totalpass on his lack of recruiting all due to facilities. The first thing out of every recruits mouth about Clemson is about Dabo or one of the coaches and the great family atmosphere

I am certainly not giving BB a pass.

Mar 11, 2016, 5:36 PM

He is ultimately responsible for the product on the floor. I think he should be fired this offseason. But there is no denying that if we needed great facilities to recruit better in football, then we sure as heck need them in basketball since our history and fan support lag behind many others we compete against.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Agreed

Mar 11, 2016, 8:59 PM

Guys Brad isn't the whole problem!

Mar 11, 2016, 8:59 PM [ in reply to While agree they some role, let's not take anything ]

Name me one coach that can beat 4-5 top 25 teams in a row with the talent we have! Brad hasn't been able to recruit anyone big to Clemson until this year. He's feeding off football and even dabo is asking us to support him big. Brad comes to some of the football practices and evens! He's all in with Clemson 100% unlike Purnell who left and didn't even tell the kids goodbye. Took money over a family. Brad actually wants to be at clemson and wants us successful! He's up to doing whatever needs changing and we will finally have some depth next year! Think about this for a second, did anyone know we are playing with 3 (noko, Smith, sitti) two star players down low in the best conference in NCAA. Let's get behind Brad guys because he needs our support! Those boys need our support and with commitment we and the university can prove to recruits bball matters here. Anddddd we need new ACC refs hahaha go tigers.

Re: Guys Brad isn't the whole problem!

Mar 12, 2016, 3:03 AM

Name a coach that lets teams multiple times in a year come back from more than 10 down to win without making any adjustments to his game plan.

Re: Guys Brad isn't the whole problem!

Mar 12, 2016, 1:11 PM [ in reply to Guys Brad isn't the whole problem! ]

Asking If Dabo is asking then we should certainly do it

Re: No, but those facilities do help recruiting.

Mar 11, 2016, 6:14 PM [ in reply to No, but those facilities do help recruiting. ]

Sorry to disagree somewhat , Judge , but the finest facilities in college football wouldn't mean much without a guy like Dabo .

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm not discounting Dabo's huge role in our success.

Mar 11, 2016, 8:49 PM

But I also don't think he would have been nearly as successful without the millions upon millions of dollars we have put into football facilities over the last 6-8 years.

In basketball, we need both great facilities and a great coach. My comment about facilities was more to illustrate that just finding a young, energetic coach without the sustained commitment to facilities will likely be a failure.

Mar 12, 2016, 2:20 PM [ in reply to Re: Basketball ]

Disagree calling Lee Dabo jr, I think every coach should be his own person .Basketball doesn't have the money or overall support that Dabo has. When that changes we'll have a heck of a ball team.

Mar 11, 2016, 3:02 PM

There is no such thing as a happy ending whereBrad Brownell and Clemson Basketball are concerned. I see your point, I am so glad we continued Tommy Bpwden and Jack Leggett's employment it's really producing major success...wait...never mind. Cut losses now, you and all the other Brownell worshippers will still be urging patience in year 12. The guy is in way over his head and meanwhile, we are filling his coffers with his ill-gotten gains. Fire this loser NOW!

I was unaware chickens could speak***

Mar 12, 2016, 3:52 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

BB improved his inspirational talks just after Ok. Fb game,

Mar 11, 2016, 6:00 PM

and the Tigers were fired up for awhile and had some great wins, but then BB went back to his less than fired-up normal bland self making excuses for losses before the game itself. "I don't know why we don't do better in postseason." instead of WE ARE GOING TO IMPROVE AND WIN SOME GAMES IN POSTSEASON! He just does not have the fiery personality to get past being a good coach to a great coach. Maybe, he is on anti-depressants or something like that, bless his heart! If only he could come up with Daboisms like BRING YOUR OWN GUTS!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 12, 2016, 3:02 AM

Dude we play games outside of the ACC. If we could win those 8-8 in the ACC well now 9-9 would be good

Replies: 20
| visibility 2,255
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic