Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Backyard Football
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1

Backyard Football

Aug 10, 2020, 5:54 PM

I grew up playing what we called Backyard Football with the neighborhood on most weekends. I haven’t seen any kids doing so in a long time. A positive during all this virus crap, I guess they are getting bored playing video games. I actually had about 10 kids playing in the neighborhood field this afternoon. Shirts against no shirts . I actually had to pull over and watch some. Great to see

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Backyard Football

Aug 10, 2020, 6:35 PM

Cow pasture baseball games were a way of life when I was growing up in the 40s and 50s. I don’t think little league had been invented. It certainly hadn’t in “Little Chicago” South Carolina! No coaches, no umps, perhaps one bat and one ball (wrapped in tape) and no moms, Life could not have been better. Mutual ofOmahas game on the radio most Days. The only bad thing, it was almost always the Yankees! That’s where I learned to play and I bet many of you will agree.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 10, 2020, 6:36 PM

When I was younger, my family and I would travel to my in-laws on Christmas day after we opened our gifts at home. The trip was about 1 1/2 hours away. We counted new bicycles on our trip. It started at 13 and dwindled to 0 when the age of technology arrived. Now, everyone stares at a computer screen and can't carry on a normal conversation. Sad times we live in.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cow pasture football

Aug 10, 2020, 6:36 PM

On Sundays after Clemson games all the kid would head over to the dairy barns to play tackle football. The bigger kids would take advantage of all of us little guys. Mom always wondered why the laundry room smelled a little different on Monday mornings.

My favorite backyard football plays were "everybody go long"

Aug 10, 2020, 6:50 PM

and the dreaded "center sneak" (usually called in goal line situations). We had a lot of fun, but there were a few injuries along the way. The worst for me was when I sustained a concussion and a sprained neck when I took a knee to the side of the head from "Big Danny". Problem was, I was about half the size of "Little Danny".

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Aug 10, 2020, 7:34 PM

Those were the days. I can remember cutting 5 yard and side lines in the yard to look like a field. The measurements were stepped off. We had enough room to get 10 - 5 yard lines but it definitely wasn't 50 yards wide.

When we couldn't get a game, I would throw the football on the roof and run catch it as it rolled off. Well I did that when my Dad wasn't home because I learned the consequences of waking him up once from noise of the ball bouncing on the roof.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 10, 2020, 8:39 PM

In the early 70's, we used to play no pads tackle football on Bowman and Riggs Fields. We were a bunch of high school jocks that missed playing football. The team we usually played was made up of the Navigators and Campus Crusade for Christ members that we called The Jesus Freaks. This put us up to calling ourselves The Devil's Disciples. The only padding, which was up to the individual, was a mouth piece and cup. We played clean and did not try to hurt anyone There were very few injuries beyond scrapes and a few minor cuts. I had friends on both teams, though I played for the DDs. Oh, to be young and dumb again.

Played a pickup game at Clemson....

Aug 10, 2020, 9:55 PM

Lasted one play.
I ran the ball on a sweep to the right.
Two opposing buddies went to tackle me.
I ducked.
They smacked faces.
One broke his nose.
One lost a tooth.
I got cussed out.
I was like wait a minute, “YA’LL were trying to kill ME!” All I did was duck at the last second!

"The one who thinks we can and the one who thinks we can't are both right! Which one are you, son? Which one are you, son?"

Re: Played a pickup game at Clemson....

Aug 10, 2020, 10:09 PM

Always sucked when one kid git hurt, it shut the game down for the day.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ahhhh....The Memories ---

Aug 10, 2020, 10:12 PM

I remember in my Aunt's front yard ....my cousins and friends in my Aunt's neighborhood. I step out the car after me and my mom just came over after church. Then the next thing you know I'm running a kickoff return to the drive-way for a touchdown.....IN CHURCH CLOTHES!!!!

I remember playing in my own neighborhood...with my older brother's friends. I was 6 or 7 year younger than everyone on the field. I was doing good too and I was about to get the ball to score.......then my mom called out ....it was time to come inside for the night....??????.....it was only 7pm.

The one me and my friends really wanted to have a game against was with the kids over in the next neighborhood subdivision. We had our best 11....and they were supposed to get their best 11. We had a yard in our neighborhood to play the game and they had a kid with real nice yard in their neighborhood bordered off beautifully with these very tall pinetrees. The kids from the other neighborhood backed out of playing after 2 weeks of planning that thing.

Ughhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!

Replies: 9
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic