Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
BBQ in CHS
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 1

BBQ in CHS

Aug 20, 2018, 8:48 PM

I have gotten into heated arguments over BBQ in Charleston lately because I had to take my in-laws to Rodney Scott's due to a Washington Post article.

I had never had it, but afterward, I thought Home Team was much better as far as pulled pork. However, Lewis' brisket makes all of these places look like kindergartners playing in pretend kitchens. I go:

1) Lewis'
2) Home Team
3) Rodney Scott

I have not been to Swig and Swine but hear that is good. Am I missing something here? Lewis' brisket might be top 3 bites of meat I have ever had.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

last true Carolina bbq around here died with JBs smoke shack

Aug 20, 2018, 8:53 PM

Any where near Charleston, sweatmans cant be beat

Re: last true Carolina bbq around here died with JBs smoke shack

Aug 20, 2018, 8:55 PM

I am aware Lewis' is Texas style. I haven't been to Texas, but if that is the standard, I know now why Texas loves itself so much.

Aug 20, 2018, 9:07 PM

My understanding is Lewis learned under Aaron Franklin in Austin, arguably the best brisket smoker in TX, and by extension the country. Unfortunately I've had neither but folks I know who have been to Lewis say it is to die for. If you're a cooker, Franklin has some excellent videos accessible online.

Aug 20, 2018, 9:49 PM [ in reply to Re: last true Carolina bbq around here died with JBs smoke shack ]

Been all over Texas, found 99.9% of their BBQ to be really poor. My standard is that if it comes drowned in sauce it then it is not worth eating. Properly smoked meat needs to be rubbed and slow smoked over wood, the flavor tasted should be spices, smoke and meat. Would not give a wooden nickel for Texas smoked meat.

Aug 20, 2018, 10:02 PM

Then you’ve been to the worst places in Texas. Brisket and beef ribs come with no sauce it’s on the side. Now if you eat pork it’s just nasty

Aug 20, 2018, 10:06 PM [ in reply to Re: last true Carolina bbq around here died with JBs smoke shack ]

Not sure where you've been in TX cause there is some fine smoked meat there. I've never had meet in TX served with sauce on it - always on the side if you want it. Maybe you went to the wrong part of the state. South Central is where it's at - generally outside Austin.

Aug 20, 2018, 10:16 PM [ in reply to Re: last true Carolina bbq around here died with JBs smoke shack ]

You're spot on about the method though. Dry rub and smoke is all it takes. Unfortunately many of the old time places in the Carolinas went to using gas cookers over the years and have now lost out to a new generation pit masters who have returned to the true art form and use high quality ingredients. It ain't cheap but it's hard work if done right. The old art form was never lost in the true TX smokehouses and much of that expertise is now being exported.

Aug 21, 2018, 8:45 AM

Spent 4 months going all over Texas from east to west and north to south looking at places to live , chose SC in the end for MANY reasons. Never did find a really good place for smoked food, heck was at a 3 week training school in Dallas that raved about a place that was supposedly the best in the area that was catering a lunch. We thought , shoot give it a try, worst stuff ever and it got tossed in the trash. Maybe because we were just way spoiled from what we can do ourselves, my chicken and pork and a buddies brisket are far superior. He will not tell/show me what he does with that brisket but dang it is good, perfect rub, right amount of smoke, tender/not dry at all and with and a beautiful smoke ring on the meat. I offered to tell/show him how to get better chicken and pork but he will not ever give it up on the brisket. One thing about smokers is that gas/electric wil never produce a smoke ring on the meat, that is how one can tell right off what a place uses to smoke briskets. I am not a fan of most BBQ sauces, though a really good Carolina mustard( not a fan of the sweet red stuff) sauce dabbed can be good for folks that like that sort of thing.

Aug 20, 2018, 9:23 PM [ in reply to last true Carolina bbq around here died with JBs smoke shack ]

I miss JBs too.
Swig and swine best in town.

Re: BBQ in CHS

Aug 20, 2018, 8:57 PM

Home team....point....blank...on my period.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Aug 20, 2018, 9:06 PM

I have not tried Lewis BBQ

Rodney Scott's is pretty wonderful. Best ribs I have ever had. I always go there at least twice when I am in town. Enjoyed the pulled pork as well here. Fried catfish is great too. Good everything with Rodney Scott. Prices are slightly high though.

HomeTeam is good. I like the pulled pork. No complaints. Good atmosphere.

I go to Dukes for my all you can buffet

Drove to Orangeburg for Dukes takeout last Saturday

Aug 20, 2018, 9:12 PM

Old habits die hard.

For me, Swig & Swine beats Home Team in Charleston. Haven’t tried Lewis...tailgating with Scott’s for TAMU game.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dukes on Chestnut Street...

Aug 21, 2018, 6:05 AM

is still the best, after all these years.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sorry, but Whitman Street is better***

Aug 21, 2018, 8:55 AM

Aug 20, 2018, 9:19 PM

How does Melvins BBQ and Bessingers BBQ in Charleston rank compared to the others. I have not tried those two yet and haven't really wanted to because doing so would be robbing me of a trip to HomeTeam, Rodney Scott and Dukes.

I probably will give Lewis a chance and Swig and Swine

Aug 20, 2018, 9:23 PM

I had Melvins a long time ago and don't recall any feelings either way. Make a point to try Lewis brisket when you get a chance. Beware the pulled pork there is nothing special.

Aug 20, 2018, 9:23 PM

Home team and swig&swine are my two favorites. S&S has a family deal that is a ridiculous amount of food and lots of variety for like $45. Can’t be beat.

Aug 20, 2018, 9:26 PM

For brisket, Rodney Scott’s is the best around. Lewis is pretty d@mn good for the pulled pork.

I’m partial to Swig & Swine though. Maybe because I’m 5 min from their location in WA.

“To See a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour.” WB

Aug 20, 2018, 9:42 PM

Please, if you are a South Carolinian, then there is no doubt, no contest.

The first bite of Rodney's pulled pork from his all SC sourced ingredients and traditional low country/Pee Dee family methods will leave no question in your mind...it is ineffably sublime...so good you cannot talk about it...but you will know.

Aug 20, 2018, 9:48 PM

Congratulations on your first point

I would say Rodney Scott has the best bbq downhere.***

Aug 20, 2018, 9:45 PM

I've never really liked Hometeam. Its OK but I think

Aug 20, 2018, 10:14 PM

its pretty overrated. Most people seem to either hate it or think its the best thing ever. I dont hate it but I'd take swig n swine or rodney Scott's over it for sure.

Aug 20, 2018, 10:30 PM

I usually go to both places when I go to Charleston. If you could somehow have a plate with Lewis' brisket and corn pudding, Rodney Scott's pulled pork, and a few of Martha Lou's sides it would be the ideal plate. Lewis' strength definitely is the brisket, rivaling the ones I had in Texas. Rodney Scott's is the pulled pork. I still want to try the brisket nachos at Lewis but until now, only have been able to sample the taquitos.

Re: Scott’s, the ribs are awesome, pork and skins better in Hemingway

Aug 20, 2018, 10:41 PM

I still love it though.

Aug 20, 2018, 11:16 PM

Careful, bbq is like politics....

Sweatmans and Rodney Scott’s for me. Rodney Scott’s greens are the best I’ve ever had as well. I’ve been to Tx, but don’t really appreciate TX bbq. People love Lewis and I don’t dislike but I don’t see the following they have. Whole hog is way to go and sweatmans and Rodney have it. Hometeam has some fantastic smoked wings. Dare I say their “Alabama” sauce is great too. I can walk from my office to both Lewis and Hometeam but still prefer Rodney Scotts.

During hunting season I frequent the Dukes in Ridgeville, Oburg, and Bamberg. Their buffets (sides) are great. I Especially like the corn fritters and stewed tomatoes in Ridgeville.

My wife grew up in Lexington NC and she worked at their famous Lexington Bbq. Good also, but not whole hog.

Aug 20, 2018, 11:33 PM

Best old school SC whole hog 'cue - Rodney Scott's, especially the original shack out in Hemingway. Check out this video I'f you haven't seen it... http://www.southernfoodways.org/film/cut-chop-cook/

Swig & Swine and Home Team both are excellent, each with their own style, you won't go wrong with either. Personally I seem to visit S&S more often.

Lewis BBQ is some of the finest Texas-style BBQ you'll find anywhere, including the Lone Star state. Brisket is right up there with Franklin's in Austin. Fortunate to have it here in the lowcountry.

Mere flim-flam stories and nothing but shams and lies

Aug 21, 2018, 1:15 AM

Hometeam has the best pulled pork, collards and Mac. Sucks they're ran by Georgia fans.

Lewis' has the best brisket in carolina and it's not even close. Their brisket sandwich with some potato salad and corn puddin is heaven.

Don't and I repeat DON'T waste money on swig n swine. Their meats don't come close to the other two mentioned and their sides aren't anywhere close as well. Better than some fast-food play like McDonald's but if you're going for good BBQ, it would be a shame to go here over the other two.

anyone ever hear of using a vinegar base marinade with bacon

Aug 21, 2018, 2:17 AM

grease baste? Heard of it, but have never tried it. I guess the concept is the grease sealing the marinade baste in .

You're literally the first person I've ever encountered

Aug 21, 2018, 7:42 AM [ in reply to Re: BBQ in CHS ]

that doesn't like Swig N Swine.

Eating bbq in Chas is like eating seafood in Walhalla

Aug 21, 2018, 6:18 AM

Guess I’m spoiled with Smokin’ Pig right here anytime I want.

The original Scott’s in Hemingway is amazing

Aug 21, 2018, 7:38 AM

Good Carolina bbq comes from the age of the pit being used like a cast iron pan, that’s why Scott’s in Hemingway is so good. His new place in Charleston doesn’t hold a candle to his original, plus I’d call some of his spices and wood he uses more peedee Bbq.

Also why sweatmans is so good, they have been using the same whole hog pits for decades.

Swing and Swine is ok, but too dry sometimes. Home Team same thing lots of different people cooking the meat so it’s all over the place doneness and flavor. Best smoked wings around at home team I’ll admit.

Sounds like a bunch of yanks mentioning swig/swine and home team as the best lowcountry bbq.

Roberts has pretty good bbq as well, he’s the one Bessinger that didn’t go mass producing.

Dukes bbq is chopped which is not cool, but their hash and rice is to die for

Not close to Charleston, but, I will give a shout out to

Aug 21, 2018, 12:22 PM

Lone Star BBQ out of Santee, SC. (Just across from Santee National Golf Club.) It has a different taste from the other local fare.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 32
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic