Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Athletes being paid discussion...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

Athletes being paid discussion...

Oct 2, 2019, 11:26 PM

Who on here can help me undo my idea of what is probably going to transpire?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Athletes being paid discussion...

Oct 2, 2019, 11:28 PM

First, let's start with the assumption that an athlete will now be able to earn money as a spokesperson for a brand or company. Is this a fair or reasonable assumption?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 2, 2019, 11:38 PM

If this is a fair general assumption, then athletes will follow the $$, for the most part right? Generally, the answer is unequivocally YES.

So, where I think this could be leading us (and I'm not making a judgment call on this) is those schools with the biggest Donors and specifically Donors that own successful businesses with "marketing" budgets will be able to "hire" the respective recruit or current athlete to promote their brand.

Am I wrong in this thinking?

Oct 2, 2019, 11:45 PM

What would stop a T Boone Pickens type, RIP respectfully, who loved to throw $$ at OKSU, from "hiring" a prized recruit or athlete to be a spokesperson for his company?

That's where this is going, in some general manner....

Oct 2, 2019, 11:58 PM

Or, to put it another way, just as an example, Stanford has a lot of alumni that also happen to be very successful business owners that would probably (I'm just guessing here) love to see the Cardinals athletics program become a dominant force.

So if athletes can get paid for their likeness, what would stop "blank" CEO of a multi-billion $$ company from hiring a star athlete to be their spokesperson?

Oct 3, 2019, 6:40 AM [ in reply to Re: Athletes being paid discussion... ]

No. That's exactly where it ends up.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

in the end it will work itself out and everything will be ok.***

Oct 2, 2019, 11:29 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: in the end it will work itself out and everything will be ok.***

Oct 2, 2019, 11:39 PM

I agree but that's not my point here.

Oct 3, 2019, 12:01 AM

I know, I just had a long conversation with myself, but the Genie has been let out of the bottle on this one.

Go Tigers!

Oct 3, 2019, 1:43 AM

My take is that the NCAA has a vested interest in seeing players NOT being remunerated in any way beyond the current scholarship and stipend system, as it has a lot of $$ to lose.

Most of the players will never go pro. Some may get really hurt and have lifelong injuries. What used to be fun and a way of playing for school pride has become a multi-billion dollar year business and the NCAA does not want to share that cash with the players who bring it in.

So either:

a) Pay players across all NCAA division teams a proportion of the money they bring in.

b) If you don't want to do point A, then every single player on the roster on every team gets a full ride scholarship and stipend...not just some...paid for by the money they bring in. [Based on revenue generation sport to sport]

Oct 3, 2019, 3:24 AM

A), being divided evenly, is the only good way to do it, I think. I can't see anything good coming from it if it gets opened up to the point where every player is paid a different amount (almost certainly based on star power).

B) is too close to what it is now to make much of a difference, imo.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

companies can hire whoever they want

Oct 3, 2019, 3:38 AM

they won't have to pay everyone, they will just pay the kids that they have advertising contracts with

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 3, 2019, 6:45 AM [ in reply to Re: Athletes being paid discussion... ]

A lot of sports are called "non-revenue sports" for a reason. Their revenues are pretty much nil. Of course, under Title IX, you 'd have to pay all those girls the same as you pay the star quarterback.

VERY few schools operate their overall athletic programs in the black. The end result will be schools cutting several programs on men's and women's sides until you can break even while paying all the players the new mandated funds.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The NCAA...a nonprofit organization...has a lot of money to lose?***

Oct 3, 2019, 7:10 AM [ in reply to Re: Athletes being paid discussion... ]

null

Oct 3, 2019, 6:02 AM

I think it's a great idea more TAX revenue
welcome to the Real "Free" World

With that said only less than 1% have any chance at
going pro
Players should be given an option of making $ or not
The players who opt in should be taxed for anything
and all they receive from the school
Before they sign on the dotted line be made aware of
their choice in full
Players who opt in to get paid should be TAXED for
Education, Food, Room, Travel, $$$ received from school allowed by NCAA,
Gym & personal trainers any and everything provided by the school
IRS gonna get their cut

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 3, 2019, 6:55 AM

"The players who opt in should be taxed for anything and all they receive from the school"

They will, because all that is considered taxable fringe benefits by the IRS. If they are getting paid cash money for playing sports, then they will be professional athletes in eyes of state income tax boards and the IRS.

Room and board? Taxable fringe benefits. Medical care? Taxable fringe benefits. Gym access? Taxable fringe benefits.

They also have to pay "jock taxes" that most states levy, where they demand taxes 1/Nth of your income for each game you played in their state. So our athletes would have to file income taxes in at least 4 states. Let's look at this year's football schedule let's assume we make the ACC championship and get sent to Glendale AZ semi-final. Including last January's final (this calendar year), that's 15 games.

1/15th of income filed in California, 8/15ths of income filed in SC (although with residence in SC, there may be more), 1/15th of income filed in New York (ohh fun there!), 3/15ths in North Carolina, 1/15th in Kentucky, 1/15th in Arizona.

Have fun with that.

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic