Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Asked & answered? The copycat plays?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

Asked & answered? The copycat plays?

Feb 1, 2019, 10:26 AM

Which plays were the Copycat plays? Asking for an inquiring mind.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Asked & answered? The copycat plays?

Feb 1, 2019, 10:26 AM

The ones that worked but they still couldn't figure out how to stop. lol

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 1, 2019, 10:29 AM

The man becomes a whining baby if everythinn doesnt go his way. Most unbecoming

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

everyone does it

Feb 1, 2019, 11:11 AM

All teams at pro, college and even high school level scout future opponents, to ascertain their strengths and weaknesses, and use that information for game planning. If you have good coaches and players, you figure out what you think will work and you use it. Sometimes you do what other teams have done that was successful. Alabama coaches presumably had film of Clemson's prior games. I imagine they watched the South Carolina game, and they figured they could have a field day against our secondary, and apparently they concluded they had seen enough to conclude that they were invincible. Our coaches concluded, if those other teams had success with certain types of plays, that we could too, because our players are smarter, faster and more talented than the other teams Alabama played. We executed our "copycat" plays, and Alabama is jealous, because they could not.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: everyone does it

Feb 1, 2019, 11:38 AM

I have said this same thing all along. If UAla's coaches couldn't figure out plays that worked against us, that's on them. However, our coach's saw our weaknesses and shored them up; and, UAla's coaches didn't. That's on them.

They lost by being beat by a better team and coaching staff.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

That would be pretty much all of them we ran***

Feb 1, 2019, 11:29 AM [ in reply to Re: Asked & answered? The copycat plays? ]

at least 2 were crossing routes

Feb 1, 2019, 11:08 AM

one to Tee across the middle where he picked up the first down.

the other was to Amari where he crossed the middle of the field and picked up 25 yards.

There were other instances too...1 I can remember was the bunch formation where Hunter was matched up against a LB who was confused from the start and HR picked up the first down.

Re: at least 2 were crossing routes

Feb 1, 2019, 1:23 PM

Thanks for an answer to the question. But, would love to know who were we copying?

Another was the shovel pass to ET for a touchdown.***

Feb 1, 2019, 11:14 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pretty much any play that the Citadel ran

Feb 1, 2019, 11:16 AM

in the first half of their game against bama.

Shovel pass was one for sure!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 1, 2019, 11:24 AM

The shuttle pass up up the middle was one of them. As were a few of the play actions calls.

After Saban mentioned it, I went back and sure enough, like clockwork. It also wasnt that we were using plays like Alabama's, we were using the plays Alabama was using against us in the same game after they would try to run it on us.

The shuttle pass up the middle is a good example. Alabama tried that in the red zone on one drive, and we stuffed em and put Tua into the dirt. The VERY NEXT DRIVE, we come out and ran the exact same shuttle pass play Bama tried to run on us, execute it to perfection, and score a touchdown. Same blocking scheme, personnel scheme, everything.

That just shows you how badly we dominated Alabama. We didn't just give Bama black eye, we knocked their teeth out, stole their girlfriend, and drove off in their car.

Feb 1, 2019, 11:32 AM

Saban did not say we were using Bama's plays.

The full quote talked about the copycat plays being plays that other teams used successfully against Bama.

The flip to ETN was not one of the "copycat plays".

If you are looking for copycat plays then you definitely need to look at the Bama vs UGA and Bama vs Oklahoma game.

I would also probably look at the Bama vs Arkansas game. Arkansas scored more points than anybody else in the regular season. Only Oklahoma and Clemson scored more.

With our staff connections, I'm sure Morris gave our staff a few tips during game prep.

Feb 1, 2019, 11:53 AM

Watch it again, it was in the 2nd quarter.

The shuttle pass, shovel pass, whatever you call it, was absolutely a copy of the same play Alabama used on us in the drive before it.

2nd Quarter, 5 minutes to go. Same exact play, same dive direction, same formation, same blocking scheme.

Feb 1, 2019, 12:58 PM

We may have run some of the same plays that Bama ran, but that is not what Saban was referring to when talking about copycat plays.

If you re-watch his halftime interview from the game, he states very clearly what he meant about Clemson using plays that other teams had used against Bama.

Feb 1, 2019, 2:33 PM

....and? Where did I disagree with you?

I'm simply pointing out that we beat Alabama so badly that we curb stomped them with their own offensive schemes.

I don't know exactly what you are trying to "correct" me over.

Feb 1, 2019, 1:26 PM [ in reply to Re: Asked & answered? The copycat plays? ]

Great to know. I thought we were copying Pitt, Ohio and Bama on that play. Only Clemson an Pitt were good at it though.

Was amazed that Saban said that....

Feb 1, 2019, 11:26 AM

... and didn’t he say they hadn’t practiced against those plays?!? That’s unbelievable - that they didn’t work on plays that had been successful against them? Is that ... stupid or arrogant?!?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If people were as good as their obituary - and products were as good as advertised - this would truly be a wonderful world !!

Re: Was amazed that Saban said that....

Feb 1, 2019, 11:34 AM

….. stupid or arrogant? BOTH !!!!

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I assumed it was his way of throwing his 1st year DC under

Feb 1, 2019, 11:57 AM [ in reply to Was amazed that Saban said that.... ]

the bus

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I assumed it was his way of throwing his 1st year DC under

Feb 1, 2019, 1:03 PM

Am I the only one who thinks Saban has a DC so he doesn't have to work as hard against over-matched opponents?

I'm sure he has a major hand in the gameplanning for all big games.

I would bet more a shot at positional coaches for not making corrections at specific positions.

I can't imagine that there were many major scheme errors for anyone to exploit.

I think we noticed certain players who didn't play certain looks very well.

It takes a really terrible coaching staff to not be able to defend certain route combinations.

However, I'm sure there are tons of players who aren't coached well enough to make corrections in areas where they struggle.

Re: I assumed it was his way of throwing his 1st year DC under

Feb 1, 2019, 3:06 PM

Saban has coordinators so he gets all the credit when they win a Natty and none of the blame when they get clubbed. Can’t stand a CBS Gary Danielson game with Bama because even on a Bama offensive play he says “Nick did this and Nick knew that”.

Feb 1, 2019, 12:59 PM

The ones that will work again next year when we stomp another mudhole in their chest.

Feb 1, 2019, 1:05 PM

The shovel pass Bama ran against us on the goal line.
Thanks Austin Bryant. He played his responsibility.

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic