Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
As Joe21 posted this afternoon, eliminate eye test & other stupid stuff by going to 8 teams..
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1,643

As Joe21 posted this afternoon, eliminate eye test & other stupid stuff by going to 8 teams..

Nov 8, 2019, 7:26 PM

the five major conference champs and 3 next best Peewees. (Note: my terminology)

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: As Joe21 posted this afternoon, eliminate eye test & other stupid stuff by going to 8 teams..

Nov 8, 2019, 7:30 PM

Every year, at least 2 of the 3 peewees will be SEC teams with incestuous self-fulfilling inflated rankings.
Do you want that?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Still flawed, but better than what we have now. No

Nov 8, 2019, 7:42 PM

conference champs left out. Best solution is still conference realignment to end with champs in playoff.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: Still flawed, but better than what we have now. No

Nov 8, 2019, 8:51 PM

5 P5 champions, 1 best of G5, 2 wild card but NO MORE THAN 2 TEAMS FROM ONE CONFERENCE allowed in the 8 teams.

Committee can do all the shenanigans they want with the seedings/pairings.

Or 5 P5 and 1 best of G5. #1 and #2 get a bye. The main thing is to prevent the stacking of the playoffs with BS inflated ranked SEC teams. If you’re 3rd in the SEC, you ain’t the best team in the country.

Message was edited by: tiger_swimmer®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Perfect***

Nov 8, 2019, 8:56 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: As Joe21 posted this afternoon, eliminate eye test & other stupid stuff by going to 8 teams..

Nov 8, 2019, 9:07 PM [ in reply to Re: As Joe21 posted this afternoon, eliminate eye test & other stupid stuff by going to 8 teams.. ]

OK, if you've got to have a committee, let them pick the other 3 teams from the "lesser" conference champions and independents. The AAC and Mountain West are pretty good this year. In any case, one team per conference should be the iron-clad rule. If a lesser team gets in, so be it. Trust me, the world won't end. Or if you want, let each power 5 conference select its representative to the playoff by whatever rule it wants. It'll give us something else to argue about.

I like this idea better than anything I've heard yet.

Nov 8, 2019, 10:10 PM

5 P5 conference champs automatically in. Win you're in, lose you're out. Reward the winning. Only one team per conference. Then let committee choose next 3 from those not in a P5 conference. Have a drawing to select matchups. Last year it would (most likely) have included Alabama, Clemson, Oklahoma, Ohio State, Washington, Notre Dame, and UCF. Short of realigning conferences to get only 8 conference champs, that's about the best you could do, I think.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Nov 8, 2019, 9:12 PM

I don't hate the 6 or 8 team models I have seen proposed , but then again .

Where does the line get drawn for teams in and teams out if there are 8 teams allowed . I think right now as the standings are today that would include a 2 loss team . It would also include a team that lost to Sackerlina in the footballs .

Look , as far as we know this is probably as good as it gets , just the 4 . Sure it isn't perfect but do we want to allow teams and fanbases dissatisfaction with being left out be a determination as to whether or not the field gets doubled ?
I don't think so . I say we stand for a while where we're at and let things percolate .
Heck , this 4 team thing sure has been good to Old Thom's Tigers .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Why?

Nov 8, 2019, 9:53 PM

Is there any real argument that the best team in college football didn't win the championship each year we've had the playoffs? No. Now you sound like Ohio State, Georgia and the others who were ranked 5, 6, 7 in prior years.

There is no problem to solve. Clemson's problem is in our own hands and we will go all the way and win it all this year again!

Clemson's other problem is the ACC. But it isn't like other schools aren't trying to fix their problems but they are finding it is not so easy. Even schools like Miami and FSU with the incredible talent there can't get it done lately.

"Is there any real argument that the best team in college

Nov 8, 2019, 10:18 PM

football didn't win the championship each year we've had the playoffs?". It doesn't matter, because any such argument would be totally subjective, and any conclusion would just be somebody's opinion, just like the idea that the 4 best teams will always get in, That's kind of the point.

- H. L. Mencken

Nope.

Nov 8, 2019, 10:17 PM

Don't worry about the metrics. They all come full circle when the regular season is over. Clemson wins and Clemson is in.

Dabo done told you, Bill. They only poll that matters is the last one.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 9, 2019, 9:17 AM

Nope fine just as is. Reward excellence. No matter how many you take someone will always have the "we should be in" gripe"

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 9, 2019, 9:25 AM

They need the 8 team playoff to keep the nation into it.

Replies: 12
| visibility 1,643
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic