Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Article: Mitch Hyatt "has disappointed scouts this season"
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1

Article: Mitch Hyatt "has disappointed scouts this season"

Oct 12, 2017, 2:44 PM

http://walterfootball.com/nflhotpress/article/Teams%20Grading%20Clemson%20LT%20Mitch%20Hyatt%20on%20Day%20Three

Teams Grading Clemson LT Mitch Hyatt on Day Three
Updated Oct. 12, 2017
By Charlie Campbell. Follow Charlie on Twitter @draftcampbell.

In recent years, one of the top college programs for producing NFL talent has been the Clemson Tigers. They have had a string of special wide receivers, a number of first-rounders from their defense, and a franchise quarterback, Deshaun Watson. Many thought that Clemson left tackle Mitch Hyatt might continue that trend by being an early-round pick in the 2018 NFL Draft.

Hyatt broke into the starting lineup as a freshman in 2015 and was Watson's blind-side protector over two seasons, during which Clemson reached the National Championship game in back-to-back years. However, scouts from NFL teams have been disappointed in Hyatt's play this season, and some sources say they have been grading Hyatt on the third day of the 2018 NFL Draft.

The biggest issue for Hyatt for the NFL is a lack of strength. He is listed at 6-foot-5, 305 pounds, yet has been getting pushed around this season. Here is how one area scout discussed Hyatt, "I graded him in the fourth [round] right now, but if he keeps getting his butt whipped, I'll drop him to the fifth [round]. That being said, offensive tackles rise in the leadup to the draft, and they are getting harder to find. So it wouldn't surprise me if a team reached on him late in the third [round]. But I can't see him going higher than that right now."

Hyatt does have a lot of experience as a 3-year starter who has gone against a lot of good talent during his collegiate career. Sources also say that at Clemson, along with many other spread-option college offenses, offensive linemen aren't being taught to fire off the ball the way they are required to in the NFL. The read-option offenses don't put a priority in knocking defenders off the ball, finishing them off and blocking through the whistle, because the emphasis is on hurrying to the line to play uptempo. To help his draft stock, Hyatt will need to play better in the second half of the season. His best course of action could be returning for his senior year to get stronger before going to the NFL.

Hyatt has gotten some hype with some projections in the first round, but many in the scouting community are much lower on Hyatt and view him as a third-day talent for the 2018 NFL Draft.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the analysis sounds fairly accurate, he is a much better

Oct 12, 2017, 2:47 PM

pass blocker, that's why he is playing LT

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Walter Camp is trash. Every other mock draft I've seen so

Oct 12, 2017, 2:50 PM

far has Mitch going in the top 10.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hopefully

Oct 12, 2017, 2:51 PM

he'll come back for his senior year so he can get stronger. :)

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: Article: Mitch Hyatt "has disappointed scouts this season"

Oct 12, 2017, 2:52 PM

They lost all credibility last year. Had Watson going in the 3rd round.

http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2017dwatson.php

Hope this lights a fire under his butt!

Oct 12, 2017, 2:54 PM

Look out Syraexcuse!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 12, 2017, 3:01 PM

Let's hope he see's this and it lights a fire under his feet. He is extremely talented.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 12, 2017, 3:22 PM

They are rotating for him a lot and I dont think he has been as good. I've wonder if he isnt 100% injury wise

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

OLmen are never 100%

Oct 12, 2017, 3:49 PM

Not being facetious, just saying that OL is a position that constantly has injuries that you just play through. Collisions, defensive players punching you, getting rolled up on, etc. It's a constant battle to stay healthy. I think they are rotating him to keep him fresh later on and to get experience behind him for next year.

Snowflake Basher........Out

Re: OLmen are never 100%

Oct 12, 2017, 4:08 PM

Let's think about this a second...your team runs RPO, so the defensive guy knows he can at least fire off and penetrate some. Further, because it's RPO, he may choose to simply bull-rush all the time and leave his teammates to fill the void. Despite all this, how many sacks has Hyatt given up...especially against all-world Bama in consecutive years. How often is he up against the Landry's and Chubb's of the world and, by and large, holds his own.

Just like recruiting, the 'talking down' of draft prospects starts earlier and earlier each year.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Don't think this reply is to me.***

Oct 12, 2017, 4:10 PM

Snowflake Basher........Out

Re: Don't think this reply is to me.***

Oct 12, 2017, 4:14 PM

No...I 'oops'ed...

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 12, 2017, 4:31 PM

They had Deshaun Watson as a third day pick until about March too, when everyone started putting him in the top 15 and they somewhat begrudgingly moved him to a bottom of the 1st round projection.

Oct 12, 2017, 5:16 PM

Are these the same scouts that picked Mitch and that other QB ahead of DW4?????

Replies: 13
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic