Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Any of you that aren't happy with "just winning", this was
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

Any of you that aren't happy with "just winning", this was

Nov 10, 2017, 1:46 PM

my junior year, 1975.

Tulane L 13–17 Yes, lost to TULANE. Tulane record 4-7

at #14 Alabama L 0–56 We've come a long way from this. They finished #3, record 11-1.

at Georgia Tech L 28–33 Infamous GT kicked fumble into endzone TD game, GT record 7-4.

at Georgia L 7–35 Another beatdown. Georgia record 9-3.

Wake Forest W 16–14 FG to win in the rain, Homecoming, Wake record 3-8.

at Duke L 21–25 And Duke had NOTHING, record 4-5-2.

NC State L 7–45 Yep, got pounded by Wuffies AT HOME, their record 7-4-1.

Florida State L 7–43 I hate that frigging warchant. FSU not good either, record 3-8.

at North Carolina W 38–32 Inexplicably won this one on the road. UNC record 3-7-1.

Maryland L 20–22 Closer than it should have been, Md finished #13 in the nation.

at South Carolina L 20–56 Darkest day in rivalry history for my thinking, UsuK record 7-5.

TWO AND NINE. Think about that next time you complain about a close win. This ride won't last forever, we should enjoy every day of it while we can.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You don't have to back that far (though that was bad)

Nov 10, 2017, 2:08 PM

I remember basically sitting anywhere I wanted to in a half-empty Death Valley during the West years.

Enjoy the ride and the ugly wins.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep i was just a kid at the time

Nov 10, 2017, 10:25 PM

but i remember my dad taking me to a game one of the years West was the coach and it seemed like maybe 20,000 showed up.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

POTD!!!!***

Nov 10, 2017, 3:03 PM

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was at that Bama game. Still see it in my nightmares.***

Nov 10, 2017, 3:10 PM

Just a kid but I remember listening to it on the radio with

Nov 10, 2017, 5:14 PM

my Dad.

That was my junior year also and

Nov 10, 2017, 5:42 PM

we got to move over and sit on the 50 in the south stands before half-time at most games. Rough season.

Re: That was my junior year also and

Nov 10, 2017, 6:00 PM

1976 was not much better, except the season final over the coots

It's too bad our coaches didn't have Tnetters back then.

Nov 10, 2017, 6:18 PM

Our board dumpers would have straightened them right out.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Any of you that aren't happy with "just winning", this was

Nov 10, 2017, 6:25 PM

That was a couple of years before my time but I clearly remember 3-8. I've been a tiger through thick and thin. I don't get the complaining around here either. We've got a really good team this year.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 10, 2017, 7:34 PM

I think it gets old though when someone posts anything approaching critique and gets blasted for it. Doesn't mean we aren't happy with the season. I didn't think we'd only have 1 loss at this point in time, & I'm ecstatic. Doesn't make someone less of a fan for pointing something out. My freshman year was Tommy West's last, I'll take this type of year any day.

Nov 10, 2017, 8:15 PM

Critique is one thing. It's welcome by me. I do it. Blasting the coaches and players on this team is not. I will fire back all day long. I pay pretty good attention to who posts garbage. I can tell that a lot of those throwing our staff under the bus are not Clemson fans anyway. However talking about strengths and weaknesses of our team in a respectable manner doesn't bother me. Go for it.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm sure big losing impacted admission interest in college

Nov 10, 2017, 6:30 PM

I started in Fall 1979 and the worm had turned. Except for Hatfield and Tommy West periods, the team has been respectable to outstanding for the past 40 yrs.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'm sure big losing impacted admission interest in college

Nov 10, 2017, 8:41 PM

I, like most other Tigers fans, didn’t like Hatfield because he came after Ford and no one liked the way Max forced Ford out but he did have a 70.7 winning % so he actually wasn’t that bad of a coach for the 4 years he was there. Bowden only only had a 61.5 winning %. West stunk barely staying over 50%.

My senior year. We were 18-26 during my 4 years at CU******

Nov 10, 2017, 8:18 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

don't forget about 1998

Nov 10, 2017, 8:22 PM

where we went 3-8 with 1 win being over FCS Furman

and carried TW on the teams shoulders after beating

Nov 11, 2017, 5:11 PM

the coots

The Charlie Pell years right after that...

Nov 10, 2017, 8:38 PM

...with Steve Fuller, Jerry Butler, Lester Brown, Danny Ford et al saw the mediocre play of the Tigers turn the corner for good and in to a perennial power.

The Notre Dame game of 77 was the beginning...followup a 11-1 '78 season, Woody Hayes debacle and win over Ohio St, the win in South Bend in '79, then finally the NC following the '81 season.

Yes the late Hatfield and West years were a backslide and I actually blame the way Danny Ford was treated by the Admin AND how Ken Hatfield was treated by MANY of the fans for a lot of our pain during that time.

Yes many of us brought that pain on ourselves...You all know who you are.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The Charlie Pell years right after that...

Nov 12, 2017, 3:41 AM

You know as much as I always liked to say the Notre Dame game of 77 was the beginning (was at that game and bawled my eyes out afterward.I was a youngun then. lol Wouldn't change a thing about that game.It was special!) others point to the win in Athens that year as the beginning when the Dawgs went for a 2 point conversion for the win instead of trying for a tie game with the extra point after their TD near the end of the game.Charlie and his victory cigars !

I prefer whipping that ### over just winning

Nov 10, 2017, 9:07 PM

63-17
56-7

Nov 11, 2017, 4:41 PM

It's my belief that even if your team is playing at elite status, team players and fans should always want the team to do better and play better. Being satisfied at being good means that they're selling them selves short of trying even harder to be great or even the greatest!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 12, 2017, 12:14 AM

At least in 1975 you had better music, no cell phones, and no terrorists.

Clemson vs Tulane was the first game I attended.

Nov 12, 2017, 3:18 AM

From what I can remember it wasn't a pretty game.I don't recall too many specifics from the 75 and 76 seasons but I do remember that the loss to Scar in 75 was really bad.The librarian at my elementary school who was a big Scar fan came to school the following Monday with all her coot gear on.She wore a hat , shirt and had some pom poms.I think she was the only person happy that day at my school. lol The one other thing that I really remember from those 2 seasons was the long field goal (an ACC record at the time I believe ) by Duke to tie the game in 76. When Duke made that field goal Tiger fan's jaws dropped and all you could hear where Duke fans cheering a tie.

Reminder, for those of you complaining about yesterday.

Nov 12, 2017, 7:48 AM

:)

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic