Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Any Ccots want to talk basketball?!!
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 33
| visibility 1

Any Ccots want to talk basketball?!!

Jan 8, 2014, 10:03 PM

....Crickets.....

That's what I thought! :)

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They have really gone down.

Jan 8, 2014, 10:05 PM

Which is saying a lot since they started out low to begin with.

Interestingly, they don't care about basketball anymore.

Jan 9, 2014, 12:01 AM

I guess that's what being crappy does to you.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: Interestingly, they don't care about basketball anymore.

Jan 9, 2014, 11:30 AM

We care.....we just suck. No fun in that.

South Carolina baseball since 1975: 31 NCAA Tournament appearances including a streak of 14 straight / 12 Super Regional appearances/ 11 College World Series berths / 5 National Championship game appearances / National Champions in 2010 and 2011. The Gamecocks hold 3 NCAA records for postseason success: The most consecutive NCAA tournament wins (22) / The most consecutive wins in the College World Series (12) / The most consecutive home NCAA tournament wins (29).
Since 1992 The Gamecocks have competed in the SEC and have 4 SEC titles / 1 SEC tournament title / 7 SECE titles.

Begged for an arena, they got it, and now it's a Monster Truck Rally

Jan 9, 2014, 12:10 AM

Jimmy Buffett having, Toby Kanye, Beiber-performance center for The Arts. However, if you listen carefully over the 5 points gunfire you can hear Frank Martin yelling obscenities.

We own the series! that is all I have to say bout that :-O****

Jan 9, 2014, 8:48 AM

a simple NO would have been appropriate***

Jan 9, 2014, 10:24 AM

Re: We own the series! that is all I have to say bout that :-O****

Jan 9, 2014, 3:10 PM [ in reply to We own the series! that is all I have to say bout that :-O**** ]

Well it can't be much of a lead since college basketball only began five years ago.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In that case then u guys rule!! *****

Jan 9, 2014, 5:36 PM

Sure if by basketball you mean wimmenz :-D*****

Jan 9, 2014, 8:50 AM

Speaking of that....

Jan 9, 2014, 9:24 AM

I can't understand why we aren't even remotely competitive. Doesn't make sense.

Fired Coach Davis, bad mistake. *****

Jan 9, 2014, 5:35 PM

Re: Any Ccots want to talk basketball?!!

Jan 9, 2014, 9:48 AM

I love to talk coot basketball. Desperate hire is turning into a disaster. And how terrible they are flies in the face of every narrative they try to set up about CU/USC. All that supposed SEC money, better facilities, better recruiting, better coaches - they are supposed to be leaving us behind like a D2 school, so they believe. Truth be told there are probably some D2 schools that could give them a run. It's a real sad day when your own directional school beats you - and then you are forced to talk them up as a mid-major world beater.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 9, 2014, 10:05 AM

Women's program in great shape with #4 class coming in next year with chance to add #1 player in nation to class. Top 10-15 program now and chance to really be special over next few years.

Men's is going to be a long process to recover from the damage Horne left. Martin has a very good reputation as a coach and when you go to Florida and they are ranked 10th and starting 4 seniors and you have freshmen playing the majority of minutes it is tough. Has some good freshmen playing alot of minutes which hopefully means they are better in the future.

This is going to be a long year but I have confidence in Martin. Have to be patient knowing we have not been good in quite some time and can't be built overnight. We'll see how it turns out in 2-3 years.

You guys have a good coach and looks like you are playing better. Off to good start in conference with very winnable game tonight. Man your conference got tougher when Pitt and Syracuse joined and when Louisville starts conference play, wow.

martin fits the stereotype of a usuc head coach,of any sport

Jan 9, 2014, 10:21 AM

. known for operating in the gray area's of recruiting. not sure how good of an x's and o's hc he is, but i'll wager that their recruiting rankings will go up despite their W/L record.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: martin fits the stereotype of a usuc head coach,of any sport

Jan 9, 2014, 10:32 AM

Really, all coaches?? Please tell me with facts what Dawn Staley or Chad Holbrook have done to somehow recruit in gray area. Staley has been on olympic staff and has never had any questions about her recruiting. Holbrook has never had recruiting issues. So other than recruiting at a high level where is the gray issues for them?

So all USC coaches recruit in a gray area?? Ok Costanza, if you believe it then it's not a lie, right?

Re:It is not a lie. Maybe, you should do some research on

Jan 9, 2014, 11:06 AM

Martin. He is a scum bag.

Jan 9, 2014, 11:11 AM [ in reply to Re: martin fits the stereotype of a usuc head coach,of any sport ]

Holbrook uses up scholarships, destroys arms and basically maxs out scholarships and has tryouts each spring. It has been successful, but left a tattered bunch of upset "rejects".

Dawn Staley follows the Pam Parsons recruiting guide.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Jan 9, 2014, 11:23 AM

What in the world are you talking about?

Holbrook HC for 1 year and he is destroying arms, using up scholarships?

Baseball has minimal scholarships, you think Leggett recruits differently than Holbrook?

Geez, you guys live in the bizarro world.

Jan 9, 2014, 10:29 AM [ in reply to Re: Any Ccots want to talk basketball?!! ]

lol Womens Basketball.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Jan 9, 2014, 10:33 AM

Kind of like baseball, improtant to you until we started dominating and winning titles. You guys were big on women's basketball when Davis had some very good teams.

Because it's womens sports you don't think it means anything?

Re: Very little, but go ahead and tout it as that is the

Jan 9, 2014, 11:08 AM

best you can do.

Re: Very little, but go ahead and tout it as that is the

Jan 9, 2014, 11:17 AM

I bet it means alot to the women playing and representing your university. Why make fun of a group of athletes that represent your school and work hard everyday?

Again, our men's program is struggling but are young and has much work to do. Your's is in good hands with Brownell. Good luck to you guys.

Jan 9, 2014, 11:31 AM [ in reply to Re: Any Ccots want to talk basketball?!! ]

I never touted womens basketball.

And yes IMO it means jack ####.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Jan 9, 2014, 2:34 PM [ in reply to Re: Any Ccots want to talk basketball?!! ]

Hey, thanks for playing. Not talking about WBB because, seriously? What exactly gives you confidence that Martin can turn this thing around? His long outstanding record as a head coach? Or is Captain Carey Rich's insistence that he was on every program in the nation's radar? You'd think Duke was gonna force Coach K to early retire to grab Martin to hear him talk. Funny thing though, because it was pretty much the party line on Horne - until it was past the point of no return. Which, if you're gonna throw Horne under the bus, brings back the whole, ugly, Spurrier stealing Ellington who was Horne's top recruit that year. Remember that whole sordid affair where Spurrier lied through his teeth about approaching Bruce then threatened to quit his job if the University didn't make sure that Ron Morris could never report about him again after Ron quoted a source that said Spurrier had, in fact, pursued Ellington. How good would an already not great Clemson basketball team be if Swinney decided he could find some use for KJ McDaniel - because I'm sure he could. Spurrier doesn't like to recruit, never has, had scholarships open, and poached a team at his own school to fill the gap. With Ellington SCar probably never loses those mid-major early season games that set Horne's tenure into a tailspin. But, you reap what you sow. If Martin ever climbs out of this hole he'll be off to better pastures leaving you right back where you started. And keep in mind, if he ever brings a real athlete on campus, your Athletic Department has made it quite clear that Spurrier has right of first refusal if he likes what he sees.

Jan 9, 2014, 2:52 PM

I have hope Martin wins but as I said we will know in 2-3 years. He had a good run at K-State but does that mean he wins at South Carolina, I don't know? Hope he does but won't know for couple of years.

Danged dude, this conversation went from you asking if any Coots wanted to talk basketball and when I gave you my thoughts you went ballistic. Why ask anyone to talk if you really don't want their opinion. But since you know more about our program and know the inside details to Bruce playing football I don't know why you would want anyone's opinion.

By the way, which year didn't Bruce play basketball? Thought he played every year and actually played between last game and bowl practice.

Think Bruce would have ever played in the NBA? No. Will he play in the NFL? Yes.

I do like the part about Spurrier threatening to quit, man you must have some inside source.

Jan 9, 2014, 4:18 PM

I just can't find a single person that can justify their excitement about Martin. Yes, he maintained Huggins status quo at K State. Hardly counts as a homerun hire to me. Kind of glosses over the whole banned from coaching high school basketball in Florida and stating on the air on CBS during the NCAA tournament that if its choosing between what he thinks is right and what the NCAA says is allowed he'll do what he thinks is right every time (and this was in reference to giving money to a player - not some actual ethical issue). He is a blowhard ###### and I am enjoying his dismay.

You have a keeper in Dawn Staley but I really don't care about women's sports just as I assume you don't care about Clemson women's track. You mentioned Holbrook somewhere else in this thread. Someone went ballistic on him and it was pretty unfair. It remains to be seen how much of Tanner's more unsavory policies he keeps. That said, even Tanner, by all appearances, kept it within the rules. I just strongly disagree with the whole auditioning players aspect of how he would get kids on campus. But that should be an ncaa issue - can't fault the guy for exploiting the system. I have had the chance to meet Holbrook and he seems like a very quality individual. Hope he doesn't have the success of his predecessor but hope you guys don't can him if he goes more than few years without a trip to Omaha.

Bruce didnt have much of a chance in the NBA but he has much higher career earnings potential in basketball than football. He hasn't played a full season of basketball with the Gamecocks and has missed almost all their off-season practice. He was a four star point guard prospect, if he had stuck with basketball he would be a lock for a long career in foreign basketball which pays much better than a lot of people realize. I'd bet he is drafted outside the 3rd round which means nothing but his signing bonus is guaranteed. Seriously doubt he sees a second contract in the NFL. Wouldn't mind being wrong because he seems like a quality kid.

Jan 9, 2014, 4:36 PM

Huggins was only at K State for a year I think before he moved on. Martin was there 5-6 years and was quite successful. A true testament to a coach is if he has the respect and appreciation of his former players and in that regards Martin passes the test. His former players love him. The money thing was about if I remember correctly was about helping a player get home for a family crisis or giving him money to eat. I guess he feels there are moral issues a little more important than NCAA rules. Not that its right but keep it in perspective. I'm sure a lot of coaches feel the same way the just don't say it.
Andre is Bruce's cousin and his success probably made Bruce think about the NFL a little more. He only played basketball his freshman year. His future in basketball was going to be limited to Europe at best even if that was all he concentrated on during his college career.

Jan 9, 2014, 5:07 PM

I knew he wasn't there long but didnt know Huggins was only there 1 year. But the players love him thing is pretty subjective. It would be pretty hard to find a coach that can make it to any collegiate head coaching job that doesn't have players that love him. I know a lot of Tommy West's players loved the man - doesn't mean he was a good head coach.

I know Andre and Bruce are cousins, but Andre had nothing to do with Spurrier sending out feelers to see if they could steal him away from basketball. NCAA rules dictate that any scholarship athlete that plays football has to have their scholarship in football. So, de facto, there is no such thing as a basketball first two sport athlete. Once you decide to play football, if offered, you are effectively committing to football over basketball. There are exceptions where coaches may have a better working relationship - but that was clearly not the case between Spurrier and Horne. I stated he would have been probably limited to overseas basketball but he would have made a lot more money over time than he will in football. Die is cast. Wish the young man well.

Jan 9, 2014, 3:00 PM [ in reply to Re: Any Ccots want to talk basketball?!! ]

Actually Andre Ellington had as much to do with Bruce playing football as anyone.

Jan 9, 2014, 4:20 PM

Interesting. I never knew Andre was so involved in making scholarships available at South Carolina.

Jan 9, 2014, 2:58 PM

Sure K-K-K Ken, let's t-t-talk B-B-B Basket-b-b-ball.

Jan 9, 2014, 5:10 PM

Why would a coot fan want to talk about coot basketball? They're al Duke or NC fans come basketball season.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Tell em coot"

Jan 9, 2014, 5:53 PM

"Stole him from Horn"
"Holbrook using up schollys"
"Holbrook having tryouts"

There's so much ignorance posted in this thread by yall, its hilarious. It also seems you have no clue how baseball scholarships & fall ball/"preseason" actually works.

Replies: 33
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic