Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Another playoff analysis, because 6,317 just aren't enough.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 2,024

Another playoff analysis, because 6,317 just aren't enough.

Oct 18, 2017, 1:42 PM

Let's not make assumptions about Team X will beat Team Y, or Team Z usually chokes, etc. Let's look at certainties. This is the current AP ranking:

1. Alabama
2. Ped State
3. Georgia (hocch-ptooey)
4. TCU
5. Wisconsin
6. 0310 State
7. Clemson
8. Miami
9. Oklahoma

Remember what I said about certainties? Well forget all that. We're just going to have to deal with two reasonable assumptions:

1. Assume the first playoff ranking is the same as the current AP poll. It should be close. If we're ninth or higher (and dadgum we certainly should be), this analysis still holds.
2. Assume the favorites win every game. This is a worst-case assumption. If the favorites don't win, it actually helps us.

Let's go week by week.

10/21 - No teams ahead of us play each other, all favorites win, and no change in the polls.
10/28 - #2 Ped State plays #6 0310 State. Whoever loses will drop below us. Now we're sixth. Assume Ped State wins.
11/4 - No teams ahead of us play each other, all favorites win, and no change in the polls.
11/11 - No teams ahead of us play each other, all favorites win, and no change in the polls.
11/18 - No teams ahead of us play each other, all favorites win, and no change in the polls.
11/25 - No teams ahead of us play each other, all favorites win, and no change in the polls.
12/2a - Wisconsin plays Ped State for the B1G title. Whoever loses will drop below us. Now we're fifth.
12/2b - This is where it gets disturbing: the SEC title game. If Alabama landblasts Georgia, Georgia will drop below us and we'd be fourth -- and in the playoff. If it's close, or if Georgia actually wins, it's possible the loser may not drop below us and we'd remain fifth -- and out.

So, worst case, our path to the playoff is thus:

1. Win out. Duh.
2. 'Cuse needs to lose. The committe put 0310 State in last year as a non-conference champ and they were dispatched with exuberant ease. Would they give us that same benefit of the doubt and put us in as National Champs of 2016, but not Conference Champs in 2017? Probably, but I don't want to find out. 'Cuse needs to lose.
3. Someone above us needs to stumble. All those teams have several opportunities to do just that:

Alabama - Pfft. They play in the SEC. They skate.
Ped State - 10/21 vs #19 Michigan; 10/28 @ #6 0310 State; 11/4 @ #18 Michigan State; B1G title game.
Georgia - 11/11 @ #21 Auburn; SEC title game.
TCU - 11/11 @ #9 Oklahoma; 12/2 Big XII title game.
Wisconsin - 11/18 vs #19 Michigan; B1G title game.
0310 State - 10/28 vs #2 Ped State; 11/11 vs Michigan State; 11/25 @ #19 Michigan; B1G title game.

There'll be a lot of nail-biting between now and early December. 'Specially if 'Cuse beats Miami this weekend and there are no upsets in subsequent weeks. Can't wait to see how this team responds.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

TU for 63-17.***

Oct 18, 2017, 1:50 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

What happens if

Oct 18, 2017, 2:00 PM

USuCks keeps that golden horseshoe lodged in their hind quarters and manages to upset Georgia?

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Then we're in! All other things being equal.

Oct 18, 2017, 2:16 PM

But don't tell those chodes. They may throw the game just to get on our nerves.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Absolutely. They hate us more than they love themselves.

Oct 18, 2017, 3:22 PM

They would definitely tank against Georgia if they could be 100% sure it would knock us out of the playoff picture. Luckily, they can't be sure.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Another playoff analysis, because 6,317 just aren't enough.

Oct 18, 2017, 4:11 PM

If Cuse wins out, we can still get in. We would need to beat N.C. State and have N.C. State not lose any more ACC games. That would be a three way tie and the highest seed would get in to the ACC Championship game. Probably Clemson.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm entering all of your data into this processing unit...

Oct 18, 2017, 4:20 PM

The results should be interesting.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Replies: 6
| visibility 2,024
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic