Topic: Another famous Etienne
Replies: 7   Last Post: Sep 19, 2017 4:54 PM by: cryptotiger
[ Tiger Board(s) - Clemson Football ]
Start New Topic
Replies: 7   Pages: 1  

Another famous Etienne

[2]
Posted: Sep 19, 2017 10:56 AM

I am reading a biography of Marquis de Lafayette, the French aristocrat who adopted the American colonies as his own, fought for us, and served as a close confidant of George Washington. After the American Revolution, he went back to France and tried to promote liberty there, including the liberty of Protestants in predominantly Catholic France. As part of his efforts, he met with one of the protestant leaders to strategize, one Jean-Paul Rabaut Saint Etienne. I would have just passed over this in my reading, except that his last name obviously jumped out at me. This Etienne promoted religious freedom for all in France, which was finally granted by the Declaration of Human Rights in 1789. Unfortunately though for him, being only a moderate within the French Revolution, he was eventually arrested and sent to the guillotine in 1793.

One of the more interesting books I've ever read

Posted: Sep 19, 2017 11:00 AM

So cool to see how he viewed the colonies. We really were some savages.

Re: Another famous Etienne

Posted: Sep 19, 2017 11:14 AM

The most famous Etienne was Clifford who got beat up by Mike Tyson.

Posted: Sep 19, 2017 4:54 PM

I didn't remember the Clifford Etienne. Looks like he is in jail for attempted murder (among other things). Hopefully our Etienne stays out of the slammer and keeps his head.

Posted: Sep 19, 2017 11:16 AM

I wonder if they are related?

Posted: Sep 19, 2017 12:01 PM
etienneOLD.jpg(233.7 K)
etienneNEW.jpg(103.4 K)

I can barely tell them apart. My guess, though, is that Jean Paul Rebaut would not have had as many D1 offers...

I think it's pronounced like "Etch-ian"

Posted: Sep 19, 2017 11:17 AM

It is French after all.

Re: I think it's pronounced like "Etch-ian"

Posted: Sep 19, 2017 11:18 AM

It's been mentioned on here that he told Clemson reporters it was pronounced "E-T-N."

Replies: 7   Pages: 1  

TIGER TICKETS

FB GAME: Georgia Tech
FOR SALE: 2 Lower Home Side 45 Yard Line. Section F, Row PP. $150/ticket. Located in Greenville and Clemson...

Buy or Sell CU Tickets and More in Tiger Tickets!

[ Tiger Board(s) - Clemson Football ]
Start New Topic
1213 people have read this post