Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Analysis of playing time and depth development
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1

Analysis of playing time and depth development

Oct 12, 2017, 1:08 PM
Book2.pdf(231.1 K)

Everyone knows we play a lot of players, and certainly this is a good thing. But what does "play a lot of players" mean, exactly? I've merged the depth chart for Syracuse with the playing time breakdown found on the front page into the attached table. The table is an attempt to quantify it.

Basically, defensive players are grouped at the top (starters in purple), and the offense is at the bottom (starters in orange). I divided each players total plays by the total snaps for the season. This is 389 total plays for the defense, and 456 for the offense. This shows what percentage of plays a given player has played. The totals don't always sum to 100% for positions because of a few factors: players may play more than one position, injured players aren't on the depth chart, special teams plays are included, etc. There may be other reasons as well, but don't get hung up on that, just look for trends.

If the starters get more than 70% of the available snaps, it's highlighted in yellow. I've chosen 70% arbitrarily, but it seems reasonable that if your backups get 30% or more playing time you will develop good depth. This would be about 19 and 23 snaps per game for the defense and offense, respectively.

What it shows is that at MOST of our positions, the backups are getting plenty of reps. The positions of concern are Clelin Ferrell's DE position (he's getting 78% of defensive snaps), Kendall Joseph's LB position (79%), Justin Falcinelli at Center (89%), Taylor Hearn's guard spot (81%), Mitch Hyatt's tackle spot (82%), and Kelly Bryant at QB (87%).

It kind of makes sense to for the battery of Falcinelli and Bryant to get most of the reps. Bryant is still refining his game after playing behind Watson. Also, it's better for the backups on O to get reps with him. That said, hopefully he'll get out of the game early tomorrow and rest his ankle. So no real concerns with these two.

It will be interesting to see if Ferrell and Joseph get fewer plays in the next few games with the recent emergence of Register and JD Davis.

For Hearn's guard position, we've really got three backups with nontrivial -- though not a lot of -- playing time in Simpson, Morris, and Stewart. Pollard and Anchrum have both started games at RT, and are listed as backups to Hyatt at LT. But if Hyatt goes down ... ugh.

It would be really interesting to compare this kind of data to other top ten teams. That'll give a good gauge as to how much better we're developing our depth and preparing for the stretch run than others. Developing this depth has much higher priority than running up the score on a bunch of cupcakes. It'll serve us well in December and January.

Any other takeaways y'all can spot?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Analysis of playing time and depth development

Oct 12, 2017, 1:43 PM

failed to load, can't see it. :)

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Analysis of playing time and depth development

Oct 12, 2017, 1:57 PM
Capture.JPG(345.8 K)

Gaaaah. Attaching a *.jpg.

Thank you!

Oct 12, 2017, 2:09 PM

I thought I was losing my mind since I couldn't find it!

Must be another reason!!!

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

This can't be accurate...

Oct 12, 2017, 2:15 PM [ in reply to Re: Analysis of playing time and depth development ]

no mention of Taylor Hearn at RB

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Very nice

Oct 12, 2017, 2:03 PM

This is what I had asked for in a posted reply to the playing time break down. This is more meaningful, to me, than simply total plays. I was interested in the percentages to see who may be at risk of breaking down due to a large percentage of snaps taken.

Thanks again.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Joseph is playing Boulware's old spot and last year Boulware

Oct 12, 2017, 2:13 PM

played even more than that.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How did you find time to do this?

Oct 12, 2017, 5:17 PM

OMG you've smarted off to your boss and gotten fired from another job!!

We talked about this. After the last time I thought for sure that ...

Oh, never mind. I'll get your room ready. Do you need gas money?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Copy/paste. =vlookup. Filter. Format.

Oct 12, 2017, 10:01 PM

And then she brought me some pie!

this is good stuff

Oct 12, 2017, 10:15 PM

Thank you for processing the numbers!

Thanks for doing this. Interesting to see the info.***

Oct 12, 2017, 10:27 PM

Very cool. Thanks.***

Oct 12, 2017, 11:20 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 11
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic