Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Although I think we have out-recruited SCAR...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

Although I think we have out-recruited SCAR...

Jan 2, 2014, 1:04 PM

in the last 4 yrs, they have recruited 3 players Latty, JD, and Shaw and surrounded them with peripheral players to assemble a very good team albeit not championship caliber team.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Although I think we have out-recruited SCAR...

Jan 2, 2014, 1:08 PM

I think before them, Alshon Jeffrey really was the catalyst for them. If he doesn't make all those huge plays in 2010, we probably wouldn't be having this discussion right now.

How many games did Lattimore play against Clemson.***

Jan 2, 2014, 1:13 PM

Re: How many games did Lattimore play against Clemson.***

Jan 2, 2014, 1:15 PM

Just one in 2010, when we held him to under 2.1 YPC and NO TDs. Was injured in the other years.

Unfortunately, we sold out to stop him and Jeffrey made us/Marcus Gilchrist pay.

The catalyst was Gilmore not Jeffrey

Jan 2, 2014, 1:46 PM [ in reply to Re: Although I think we have out-recruited SCAR... ]

Completely changed the attitude of the team with his work ethic. Recharged Spurrier's attitude- who had be come frustrated. Then he came it at wildcat vs Clemson 5 years ago and led the team to a TD that has shown to be the turning point for the current swing in the rivalry IMO.

Re: The catalyst was Gilmore not Jeffrey

Jan 2, 2014, 1:51 PM

I thought about listing Gilmore right there alongside Jeffrey because of the very reason you listed, but Jeffrey, IMO and his performance against Alabama is really what propelled everything forward. Gilmore may have been more of a leader, but that year Jeffrey had couldn't have come at a better time.

I guess you could say both guys were huge for the program.

Re: The catalyst was Gilmore not Jeffrey

Jan 2, 2014, 2:00 PM

To me there was a key play early in the Alabama game that I think set a tone for the whole team. There was a pass caught by Julio Jones on the sideline and Gilmore came up to tackle him. Julio stiff-armed Gilmore by grabbing and pulling his facemask (a penalty that is NEVER called on a ball carrier). Gilmore responded by grabbing Julio's facemask and jerking his helmet off. 15 yard penalty on Gilmore but the message was sent. We weren't going to be bullied by that team that day.

Agree

Jan 2, 2014, 2:48 PM [ in reply to The catalyst was Gilmore not Jeffrey ]

GIlmore came in and was a day one starter and made an instant impact by picking off Russell Wilson's pass into the endzone at the end of the game against NC State in 09.

Jeffrey was a key piece as well though. Him and Lattimore together were very difficult to stop, especially when Garcia was sober

Re: Agree

Jan 2, 2014, 2:49 PM

Forgot to add that Gilmore also helped us land both Holloman and Clowney who all went to South Pointe

Re: Agree

Jan 2, 2014, 3:22 PM [ in reply to Agree ]

Good post, but I could make a strong argument that your last sentence is backwards. Garcia was much, much better when he was NOT sober.
Alabama = not sober
1/2 his senior season = sober.

South Carolina baseball since 1975: 31 NCAA Tournament appearances including a streak of 14 straight / 12 Super Regional appearances/ 11 College World Series berths / 5 National Championship game appearances / National Champions in 2010 and 2011. The Gamecocks hold 3 NCAA records for postseason success: The most consecutive NCAA tournament wins (22) / The most consecutive wins in the College World Series (12) / The most consecutive home NCAA tournament wins (29).
Since 1992 The Gamecocks have competed in the SEC and have 4 SEC titles / 1 SEC tournament title / 7 SECE titles.

Re: Although I think we have out-recruited SCAR...maybe

Jan 2, 2014, 1:29 PM

sure havent outperformed them though

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i hate them

Jan 2, 2014, 1:33 PM

It's that simple

during there bowl game the announcers acted like connor

Jan 2, 2014, 1:40 PM

shaw was a heisman winner.
connor shaw this connor shaw that.yuck

Re: during there bowl game the announcers acted like connor

Jan 2, 2014, 2:09 PM

at start of game it was clowney this and that until Wisconson ran right at him and he couldn't make tackles. Later on it was -well they can't double-team him in the NFL.......

Re: during there bowl game the announcers acted like connor

Jan 2, 2014, 2:43 PM [ in reply to during there bowl game the announcers acted like connor ]

To be fair he has had a pretty great career. Spurrier and the South Carolina fans owe him a lot. He is their best QB in their history and hasn't gotten any love from the national media. That was a good stage to do so and send him out in a decent fashion. I think he will earn a spot on an NFL team as a backup for a little while but I don't think he will ever be a starter at the next level. Not a knock on him, but you need more than a Tim Tebow "just win" attitude to be a starter in the NFL for any amount of time.

Jan 2, 2014, 1:45 PM

They have had more than those three as standouts. Alshon, Swearinger, Holloman, Gilmore, Ajiboye, Mathews, Travian Robertson and Antonio Allen just to name a few from that time frame are all making a living in the NFL and had big impacts at SC. Mike Davis, Bruce Ellington, Kelcy Quarles, Vic Hampton and Shaq Roland look pretty ###### good as well. They have players.

Jan 2, 2014, 1:53 PM

S&C made the difference. They take strong players and maker them stronger. Weak players and make them strong.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We don't out recruit them where it counts...LOS.***

Jan 2, 2014, 3:26 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'd say they've out-recruited us when you look at depth

Jan 2, 2014, 4:43 PM

and overall ability. We have better QB and WRs. That's it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic