Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Again, I think Clemson Admin is stupid for not allowing JUCO
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

Again, I think Clemson Admin is stupid for not allowing JUCO

Oct 3, 2012, 8:19 AM

transfers to play football....... just plain non sense

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Again, I think Clemson Admin is stupid for not allowing JUCO

Oct 3, 2012, 8:25 AM

You don't know what you are talking about.
What year did you graduate?

Well that isn't a true statement they do allow

Oct 3, 2012, 8:27 AM

JUCO players.

????? Who ? When?...***

Oct 3, 2012, 8:35 AM

Re: Well that isn't a true statement they do allow

Oct 3, 2012, 9:12 AM [ in reply to Well that isn't a true statement they do allow ]

since when???????

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: JUCO player link

Oct 3, 2012, 9:22 AM

The blanket statement that we don't take JUCOs isn't true. I know the last football recruit that was a JUCO was back in the early 2000's.

Though this past year in baseball we signed a JUCO player.
http://m.orangeandwhite.com/news/2012/aug/21/juco-pitcher-kyle-schnell-completes-tigers-2012-ba/

Link to something that says that the admin won't

Oct 3, 2012, 8:27 AM

allow JUCOs, please.

null

what year did you graduate?***

Oct 3, 2012, 8:34 AM

How is that relevant? ******

Oct 3, 2012, 8:45 AM

null

I don't think there is any specific written policy....

Oct 3, 2012, 8:57 AM [ in reply to Link to something that says that the admin won't ]

disallowing JuCo transfers. In fact, if memory severs, I believe Leggett just recently sign a JuCo transfer to play baseball. However, I do think it is fair to say that signing JuCo's is not a preference and the instances in which it occurs are few and far in between.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

This does seem to be the case. ******

Oct 3, 2012, 9:00 AM

null

'03, when was our last JUCO? I am looking for link***

Oct 3, 2012, 8:30 AM

link..

Oct 3, 2012, 8:32 AM

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2012/9/26/3413280/clemson-football-recruiting-JUCO-junior-college-defense-policy

STILL speculation feeding upon itself. Just like we were

Oct 3, 2012, 8:50 AM

Big 12 bound a few months ago. It's absolute truth because SB Nation said that ESPN said that local sports reporters said that Shakin' the Southland said that SB Nation said that...

null

Oh, and I reject any Dwight Jones references as examples

Oct 3, 2012, 8:59 AM

of problems at Clemson. At the time, I was as shocked as anyone that Clemson rejected a star player that UNC then admitted. But now that we see what UNC is, it's clear that Clemson was correct. Jones could not do college work. UNC didn't ask him to.

And THIS!?!:

There was a big power struggle when coach Danny Ford left and I think that has something to do with it
Otherwise, President Barker initiated this Top 25 initiative when he arrived. If seems as though he was concerned that a good athletics program would hurt that objective (which is complete [nonsense]). Anyway, we put in all these programs to assure the athletics programs are "kept in check" and essentially handcuffed on a lot of these issues.

Standard-issue nonsense from the Clemson malcontents. Ford? Really? You think Barker cares about what happened when Ford was pushed out? Barker thought a good athletic program hurt the academic standards? Garbage. Just stupid. He's invested more in the sports infrastructure at Clemson than any President has ever.

This is just more sports sites saying things enough times that they can start siting each other so that it becomes "fact". Soooooo much easier than actual journalism. David Hood, of course, being the exception to this trend.

null

Agree

Oct 3, 2012, 9:05 AM

and for some reason I'm under the impression that 'Shakin the Southland' is run by some 16 yr old that stays on Clemson message boards all day.

The decision has nothing to do with Coach Ford....

Oct 3, 2012, 9:18 AM [ in reply to Oh, and I reject any Dwight Jones references as examples ]

I believe it has more to do with the administration, the academic advisory board, and President Barker's Top 25 initiative. I also believe that those decisions have, at least in part, handcuffed the coaching staff.

As a side note, the writers suggestion that Clemson doesn't have an academic reputation that is anything special outside the mind of Clemson supporters is categorically false.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

See Big, the difference, to me, is...

Oct 3, 2012, 10:47 AM

that you are a fan on a message board expressing your opinion based on what you observe.

You are not portraying your impression as absolute fact.

You have not put yourself on a platform (running a sports website or writing for ESPN) that would indicate that you have accountability.

A lot of people believe what you do. It may be true. I do not believe it. Actually, more accurately, I do not believe that's true beyond the limits of what an academic institution should tolerate (such as admitting someone like Dwight Jones who clearly cannot complete college-level work). I believe the administration has provided sensible limits like that, and I agree with them. At the same time, as I've mentioned, this administration has dumped millions and millions into the football facilities, basketball facilities, soccer facilities, indoor track, Tiger Field...the list goes on and on. So, I find it frustration for people to point to a possible (and in my opinion, slight and reasonable) tightening on academic restrictions for admission of athletes as the only criteria to judge the support from this administration for Clemson athletics.

And, of course, I agree with you on the academics issue.

null

Re: link..

Oct 3, 2012, 8:50 AM [ in reply to link.. ]

Not a single quote from anyone in a position of authority, such as a coach or an administrator, to verify that such a policy exists. Just a bunch of speculation from a bunch of clowns who THINK they know what is going on.

> http://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/20
> 12/9/26/3413280/clemson-football-recruiting-JUCO-junio
> r-college-defense-policy

Agree. Point for your efforts to provide a link***

Oct 3, 2012, 8:42 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 3, 2012, 9:07 AM

I know a few years back('05ish) they offered brent schaeffer(tennessee before juco, ole miss after) and then refused his committment and pulled the offer when they found out we were getting Willy Korn in the next recruiting cycle.

Oct 3, 2012, 9:15 AM

actually they do allow juco recruits. The bigger issue is our lack of majors. They cannot stay eligible and therefore it is a waste of time to let them in.

That is not accurate

Oct 3, 2012, 9:24 AM

Yes it is harder to get into Clemson as a JUCO but there is no prohibition on it. Clemson brings in JUCO players for baseball all the time (I think 2 more came in this year). Bowden brought in a few JUCO players. Dabo prefers not to go this route (please note Daniel Rodriguez is effectively a JUCO though).

Clemson does not accept Ds to transfer in and does require a minimum number of hours towards their degree in order to be accepted (so that the student has a chance to actually graduate). Thus some JUCO students (not just athletes) have a hard time getting accepted.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There is a big difference academically between the typical

Oct 3, 2012, 10:43 AM

Baseball JUCO and the typical football JUCO. Whether or not to admit a JUCO has everything to do with player graduation rates...

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic