Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Aaron Murray question....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1,195

Aaron Murray question....

Jul 23, 2013, 12:02 PM

Just an honest question-I know after last season when he announced that he was coming back for his Sr. year b/c he hasn't won an sec championship, nor has he won a national title. Ok, my question is...was that just smoke b/c he wouldn't have been taken in the draft, or was he being honest? My thoughts if ga was going to win a sec and natl championship....if would have been last year-with the draft eating up most of their big players-just don't see it happening this year. Thoughts? Please no cootie replies-most are stupid. Go Tigers!!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Aaron Murray question....

Jul 23, 2013, 12:47 PM

Totally agree with your last statement. How good ga going to be this year I guess depends how good the replacements are.

Jul 23, 2013, 1:47 PM

The replacements are worthy. Not like UGA is just throwing some scrubs out there. When you recruit at a consistently high level like UGA does talent usually isn't the issue.

To the OP. While the defense may have lost a lot, the offense returns 10 of 11. I would think that was also a large factor in his decision. What was already a record setting offense at UGA looks to only be better for the '13 season. Maybe he thinks the offense can make up for some early defensive miscues, and the team would still have a change to achieve some pretty lofty goals.

You're talking to fans of a team with a prolific offense

Jul 23, 2013, 3:22 PM

and a D that has been pedestrian the last two years. To put it lightly: You have zero chance of winning the natty this year, so Aaron Murray is out of his mind if he believes what he said. You do have some great talent, but they're much less experienced than their predecessors, and god forbid one of them gets hurt. You'd have to bring in an even more wet-behind-the-ears backup.

You of all fan bases should know the importance of defense, and you've got a bunch of young guns in there. If you slip up with us, you may be out of the hunt early for losing to a "lowly ACC team". If you slip up twice... well, I don't even need to tell you.

Re: You're talking to fans of a team with a prolific offense

Jul 23, 2013, 4:12 PM

AU's defense was suspect when they won the MNC, but yes, they are more the exception than the rule.

As to the defense, I suspect they'll be a little better than a lot of detractors are willing to concede. Only time will tell.

To be fair, AU's defense had more experience returning

Jul 23, 2013, 4:18 PM

The talent level wasn't as high, but they were "good enough" to get the job done. Losses on the line hurt pretty bad, especially when you've already got trouble stopping the run.

Not to write your season off or say you're an unworthy opponent, I just think Aaron Murray and anyone else who thinks you're in MNC contention this year is out of their mind silly. Perhaps if your schedule had a few more cupcakes like Ohio State.

Re: To be fair, AU's defense had more experience returning

Jul 23, 2013, 4:29 PM

Here's the thing about losses on the line. There will actually be more guys ready to play this year than last. By the bowl game last year, UGA only had four guys available for the DL. This year with the influx of three JC guys (Johnson, Mayes, and Atkins) along with utilizing some of the other guys that are now ready (Thornton, Bailey, and Taylor), and the guys returning (Smith and Drew) UGA will have eight guys ready to step in and contribute. Couple that with a change in philosophy from the new DL coach about actually rotating along the DL, and the results, even with losing Jenkins, Jones, and Geathers may not be as poor as one might think.

Sounds like you're depending on a lot of things working out

Jul 23, 2013, 5:24 PM

There are a whole lot of unknowns there. You're going to miss on some of those JC guys and some of the newcomers. The new DC may or may not work out at UGA. You may take your lumps more early on with the rotating frequently.

That's why they play the game

Jul 23, 2013, 6:26 PM

The early returns have all been positive about the new faces and strategies along the DL, however you are correct that it could all go the other way too.

It will be fun to watch it all play out.

Jul 23, 2013, 12:57 PM

He seems to have legitimately wanted to come back. The qb class in the last draft was pretty weak and many felt as though he would've been drafted. Personally I thought he should have went. You pose a good question though.

Jul 23, 2013, 2:12 PM

Mr Murray......

meet Mr. Beasley!!!

Go Tigers!!!!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 23, 2013, 3:26 PM

could you not ask and answer the same question about boyd? both came back to win a nc.

Jul 23, 2013, 3:26 PM [ in reply to Re: Aaron Murray question.... ]

could you not ask and answer the same question about boyd? both came back to win a nc.

Replies: 12
| visibility 1,195
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic