Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
ACC and other conference Schedule Idea
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1

ACC and other conference Schedule Idea

Nov 16, 2018, 10:53 AM

With our upcoming match-up against a potentially 3-5 loss team in the ACCCG and all of these years that it is obvious that the Atlantic Division(and the West in the SEC, and the East in the Big Ten) has the top 2 or more schools in the conference it has made me wonder why conferences can't eliminate the divisions.

A big complaint people have now is that we only play schools from the opposing division 1 in every 6 years and then only at their stadium 1 in every 12 years.

Here is a solution I have:
With 14 team conferences, You have 13 conference opponents. Keep the conference games at 8 each year and this works. Give each team 3 regular opponents that they play each year,(for Clemson this could be FSU, NCSU, & GT) you find some historical or geographical connection to pair them off. Then each team is left with 10 teams to play and 5 games each year. That would put you playing each conference opponent 1 in every 2 years and visiting each team 1 in every 4 years.

Then you just take the two best teams and send them to Charlotte.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ACC and other conference Schedule Idea

Nov 16, 2018, 11:03 AM

While this makes sense in terms of trying to produce an interesting conference championship game, there are some major flaws.

The major flaw with scrapping divisions and the top 2 teams playing in the championship may come to life in the Big 12 this year. Oklahoma and West Virginia play the very last game of the season and are currently slotted to be the participants in the championship game the following week as well.

If the 2 teams split the games they will be eliminated from consideration for the playoff. Every conference would rather have a participant in the playoff than a competitive conference championship game.

It's very hard to beat a team twice in one year. An example is the domination on both sides in the 2 games between Auburn and Georgia last year. Imagine having to play a top ranked ACC team in our second to last game of the season, winning a close game, and then having to turn around and play the same team 2 weeks later to earn a spot in the playoff. That is a tough task for any team and I am not in favor of the ACC making that move.

Nov 16, 2018, 11:26 AM

ACCCG has been pretty lucky on rematches. We played VT and GT again in different years. Those are the only rematches I recall

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 16, 2018, 1:35 PM

One way to eliminate the rematch issue would be to reorganize the league each year. You would still have "divisions." This wouldn't guarantee that your two best teams ever ended up in the same "division" in a given year but it would be less likely to get the 4th or 5th best team in your conference as a division champ.

Nov 16, 2018, 12:59 PM [ in reply to Re: ACC and other conference Schedule Idea ]

There is always a chance of a rematch in the Championship game. The Big 12's problem is they don't need a conference championship game. They had a different but similar problem when they didn't have a championship game. I don't think their situation applies to the other conferences.

I'm definitely not some conference Homer but from the conference's perspective it seems like they would want to have a competitive championship game that gave the winner the best shot.

I have no doubt we will be favored and win the ACCCG by a lot this year and I am happy with that. The thing is if Pitt(assuming they are the Coastal champ) were to beat us then from the ACC's perspective they get screwed. No way that Pitt gets a big enough bump to mean anything. If we were playing Syracuse in a rematch then that has the chance to mean something to the ACC. Look at the SEC, Their winner is going to the Playoff no matter what.

Pitt would get an acc title***

Nov 16, 2018, 1:43 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

you sound like those morans at ESPN

Nov 16, 2018, 1:42 PM [ in reply to Re: ACC and other conference Schedule Idea ]

every conference champ game had the potential for a rematch

it hapaned last year in the almighty, perfect SEC.

this year, clemson could very well have faced duke on Nov 17 and dec 1st.

No1 knew wvu.and Oklahoma would be the 2 teams.

if Oklahoma and wvu had scheduled their registration season game in sept, wold this be an issue ?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Nov 16, 2018, 11:56 AM

Why do some people talk in “we could” or why not or what if . We have no control so why discuss it

Nov 16, 2018, 12:06 PM

That point-of-view pretty much eliminates the need for message boreds in general.

That would be like me saying you can't control other people's speculation so why ask why they are discussing it.

Nov 16, 2018, 1:01 PM [ in reply to Re: ACC and other conference Schedule Idea ]

I usually agree with your sentiment in situations when people ask who we should cheer for in a different game. Of course what we think, say and do here on Tigernet doesn't matter but why waste your time commenting that response. If you feel that way so strongly as to post it you might find something else on the internet to be more productive of your time.

Just add two teams and go to four team rotating "pods".

Nov 16, 2018, 12:39 PM

With four pods with four teams each you retain rivalries (ie. an NC pod of NCSU, UNC, DU and WFU). Can keep same division names with pods rotating each year.

Year....Atlantic........Coastal
1......Pods 1 & 2......Pods 3 & 4
2......Pods 1 & 3......Pods 2 & 4
3......Pods 1 & 4......Pods 2 & 3

Repeat and each team plays all of the other teams on a three year cycle and plays their pod teams every year. I also like the seven conference games because it adds room for another OOC game and there is no rematch in the ACCCG. The seven conference games may also help bring in Notre Dame as the 15th team.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Heavyweight fights have their ring walks. CFB has Clemson's grandest entrance in sports."
Chris Fowler

Re: Just add two teams and go to four team rotating "pods".

Nov 16, 2018, 1:02 PM

I like other ideas other than the current system. Doesn't this require 16 team conferences though? 4 pods of 4 teams?

Nov 16, 2018, 1:05 PM

Hence the "just add two teams" in the subject. Preferably one would be Notre Dame.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Heavyweight fights have their ring walks. CFB has Clemson's grandest entrance in sports."
Chris Fowler

Nov 16, 2018, 1:33 PM

I'm kind of pre-programmed not to read the subject line. That's my bad. Seems like a good idea.

tl;dr***

Nov 16, 2018, 1:36 PM

Replies: 14
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic