Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
ACC Expansion. Here's what I'd like to see...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 36
| visibility 4,532

ACC Expansion. Here's what I'd like to see...

Jan 25, 2013, 9:48 AM

Here's what I would like to see happen:

* Get Navy. Reclaim the DC market with a nationally known program, great academics and a captive audience for Army vs. Navy every year.

* Get Notre Dame. A conference with GT, BC, Navy, Pitt and Miami on the east coast is the home for ND if they ever wanted to join a conference (remember, this is what I'd like to see happen...obviously ND joining a conference is a big question mark). ND has played 15 teams more than 20 times and the ACC would have five of them.

* Relocate the basketball tourney to DC. Make it an annual event a la the Big East and NYC. This scenario is even better than when we had Maryland because no one is threatened by Navy having extra recruiting power with the tournament being in their backyard. It's time to give up the ghost with respect to being a southeastern conference. We are an east coast conference. We can't have the ACC football championship further north or it will get too cold. So give the northern schools (many of them great at basketball) the basketball tournament.

* Align by North/South:
North ---- South
BC ------- Clemson
UVA ------ UNC
Syracuse - Duke
ND ------- GT
Pitt ----- NCSU
Navy ----- Wake
VT ------- Miami
Lville --- FSU

Align per above. Great regional rivalries. Limited travel costs. Play a nine game schedule (I know, I know...I'm sorry...I don't see how you can have sixteen teams in a conference and only play one team from the other division). Play everyone in your conference once, play one "permanent rival" as defined above, and play one other cross-division opponent.

* If they could align the schedules to have all the rotating cross-divisional games played on the same day, maybe do that half way through the season and use it to define "home team" or something like that for the ACC CG. Make it an event.

I honestly think this is a great conference as structured above.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: ACC Expansion. Here's what I'd like to see...

Jan 25, 2013, 9:55 AM

While you might like to see it,you can forget about Notre Dame.They are not going to join the ACC,or any conference in football.
Why should they?

All evidence supports your assumption. But if we knew

Jan 25, 2013, 9:59 AM

ND was never joining in football, we should cut them free completely. The ONLY reason to be associated with them is football.

null

Re: All evidence supports your assumption. But if we knew

Jan 25, 2013, 10:03 AM

we know. they arent. they wont ever. ACC needs to quit being the desperate clingy girlfiend typ and move on to real teams and not service academies

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 25, 2013, 5:11 PM [ in reply to All evidence supports your assumption. But if we knew ]

The ACC needed to do what they did with ND. If the ACC didnt the Big 12 eventually would have and those two conferences are fighting a battle over the perception of which is weaker.

Jan 25, 2013, 5:36 PM [ in reply to All evidence supports your assumption. But if we knew ]

sure agree!! give ND 3 years to either get in or get out!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

that could happen with the recent news

Jan 25, 2013, 8:22 PM [ in reply to Re: ACC Expansion. Here's what I'd like to see... ]

ACC, Big12, B1G, PAC12 conference alliance and Navy in the ACC would give Notre Dame the scheduling flexibility for their 'national' brand.

I would be in favor of Navy IFFFFFFFFFF it meant ND

Jan 25, 2013, 9:57 AM

jumping in with both feet.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

I agree. Navy would have to be invited contingent on ND

Jan 25, 2013, 9:58 AM

also joining.

null

Yes

Jan 25, 2013, 9:03 PM [ in reply to I would be in favor of Navy IFFFFFFFFFF it meant ND ]

Sir

Re: ACC Expansion. Here's what I'd like to see...

Jan 25, 2013, 9:59 AM

I think you have some good ideas in your post, but I would rather see the ACCT rotate between Atlanta and DC than always having it in DC.

I don't think the ACC is going to ever be able to reel in ND though.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If, and only if, ND were forced to join a conference due to

Jan 25, 2013, 10:03 AM

the playoff criteria then they'd be in the ACC. I doubt it ever happens that way, though.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

I only disagree with the 9 game schedule.

Jan 25, 2013, 10:04 AM

I'd really like to see the rest take place. It makes good sense.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Navy, hand meet palm...

Jan 25, 2013, 10:13 AM

Yep we need Navy another football power house program who runs the freakin option, hello we already have GT for that. What do you want to do? Turn ACC football into a HS league.

NO NAVY

Jan 25, 2013, 10:10 AM

Navy brings nothing to the table. They dont have fans that will really travel to bowl games an really or a large fan base at all. YES the army navy game is cool but is a shell of what it used too be. I suggest UCF huge school like 40000 or 50000 students in a large city and college area. If they were to jump to a BCS conference watch out. FSU prob wouldnt like it. The ACC would also own Fla which is one of the 3 power states in college football

GO NAVY***

Jan 25, 2013, 10:59 AM

Re: NO NAVY

Jan 25, 2013, 6:56 PM [ in reply to NO NAVY ]

Nor would Miami!

Yeah, you lost me at Navy

Jan 25, 2013, 10:57 AM

We aint running a charity (well I guess technically it is). I'm sure Navy vs WFU is going to make ESPN pony up the cash!

I have no problem w/ not liking Navy, but for goodness sake,

Jan 25, 2013, 11:06 AM

let's please have an honest discussion about it. No one on the planet thinks Navy vs. Wake Forest is what we will hang our hat on. But the networks won't shell out big bucks for anyone vs. UConn, anyone vs. South Florida, anyone vs Central Florida, or anyone vs Cincy either. Unless you think we can grab an SEC, Big 10 or Big 12 (WVU) team, these are who you have to choose from. We don't need a program that will turn the ACC from awful to awesome just by their presence.

null

Re: I have no problem w/ not liking Navy, but for goodness sake,

Jan 25, 2013, 11:38 AM

ND and Navy have a long standing connection with each other and ND's full membership would be the only reason to bring Navy along, but a good reason. ND has played Navy every year and will continue to do so as some kind of pay back for what Navy did for them when ND was under some financial difficulties back in the day. A Navy invite might be an incentive for ND to become a full member.

why would Navy joining a league encourage ND to join?

Jan 25, 2013, 11:40 AM

ND has their own agenda and it's not dictated by Navy...just one of their 12 games a yr.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: why would Navy joining a league encourage ND to join?

Jan 25, 2013, 11:45 AM

Navy is more than just one of 12 games on there schedule, read the history. A navy invite might not be enough to coax ND into full membership but it could be.

PENN STATE is the correct answer to the situation. I'm not

Jan 25, 2013, 11:45 AM [ in reply to Re: I have no problem w/ not liking Navy, but for goodness sake, ]

a fan of the 'northern' expansion of the ACC but that is a moot point now. THE best addition at this point for regional/rival consideration is Penn State. Is it doable? I don't have a clue but it is the one school with the most to offer and would probably have the most influence on any possibilities as to Notre Dame in the future.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Rutgers and Maryland = Penn State stays in the B1G.***

Jan 25, 2013, 4:52 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I really don't see need at all to expand beyond our current

Jan 25, 2013, 11:39 AM [ in reply to I have no problem w/ not liking Navy, but for goodness sake, ]

numbers....what is the benefit? We have an even number for competition...I don't see anyone else out there who could help drive numbers to the point of wanting to split the pie up again. The South Florida's, Central Florida's, etc won't work. ECU and those types of schools won't work. UConn won't add anything. Navy to me wouldn't really add anything of value worth spliting the pie.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good thought. Believe me, my actual preference would

Jan 25, 2013, 11:45 AM

be to go back to the nine-team conference of the 1990's. We should play each team once in football and twice in basketball. But for whatever reason, that apparently would be the end of Clemson football. So, one of the many reasons I like the above plan is that Notre Dame in the conference, in my opinion, ends the "______ is leaving the ACC for the _______" rumors. Who would leave a conference that has Clemson, FSU, Miami, VT, Notre Dame, Louisville and effectively owns the entire east coast? To go play in the great plains? To play in a conference that doesn't even sponsor baseball and resides in the population-losing rust belt? To join the corrupt SEC?

null

You lost me at Navy as well

Jan 25, 2013, 11:12 AM

and I'm a military school grad....love the academies...but they don't really fit in major college football conferences today.

Too late.*******

Jan 25, 2013, 11:21 AM

Lol. Thanks for your "insight." ******

Jan 25, 2013, 11:27 AM

null

He's got it scoped out... like a proctologist. He enjoys tho***

Jan 25, 2013, 11:38 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

For those opposed to Navy...I hear you. Let me ask this:

Jan 25, 2013, 11:49 AM

Would you accept Navy if it meant number 15 and 16 were Navy and Notre Dame? Or is Navy so bad that you wouldn't take them even if it locked in Notre Dame, and instead we got any combination of South Florida, Cincy, UConn and UCF?

Maybe you would prefer to "own" Florida and pick up two big-school, small-program types like South Florida and Central Florida. I think that'd be a huge mistake, but maybe that's the preference.

Maybe UConn finishes the northeast for us and gives us one more great basketball tradition.

Maybe Cincy further expands our market and gives Lville a little company.

None of those sound as appealing to me but they all have their pro's and con's.

null

NBC says it will not lose their Notre Dame contract.

Jan 25, 2013, 4:01 PM

As long as 1. NBC funds Notre Dame football and 2. Winning a conference is not a requirement to make the playoffs (it was decided to not make it a requirement), Notre Dame will never, never join a conference for football. EVER!!!

I think Notre Dame

Jan 25, 2013, 4:48 PM

Get's WAY to much attention. They are overrated, and being in bed with NBC doesn't make them a powerhouse. They got their A$$es handed to them three weeks ago!!

I think their "Storied history" got left behing long ago!!

Clemson would STOMP them into obscurity.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Add

Jan 25, 2013, 5:04 PM

Penn st and ND, could work with a new tv contract and acc network. Don't forget Md still waiting to find out what their exit fee status is.

If not PSU and ND, leave it alone!

Agree, it would also restore the contiguousness. And with

Jan 25, 2013, 6:52 PM

Louisville in Notre Dame would also be contiguous.

Why Navy, and not Army, why take one without the other

Jan 25, 2013, 8:07 PM

and give both of those schools a shot

I might think there are actually more Army fans in the Clemson area than Navy fans

just drop ND in everything since they think their to #### good to be a part of the ACC and take

Army and Navy both

I like it. If ND will not agree, let them leave with no fee

Jan 25, 2013, 9:27 PM

Then approach Cincy, WVA, Penn ST, or UCONN(last resort).

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 36
| visibility 4,532
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic