Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
A solution to the 5 conference/4 team playoff problem...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

A solution to the 5 conference/4 team playoff problem...

Oct 16, 2018, 4:45 PM

Dissolve the Big 8.

4 Conferences, 16 teams each. 64 teams. All the other teams get dropped to a lower league.

Winners play in the playoff.

Feel sorry for the teams in the lower league? Promote the 4 best yearly to replace the last place team in each conference. Yes, I realize that before long Sakerlina would be in a lesser league.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: A solution to the 5 conference/4 team playoff problem...

Oct 16, 2018, 5:23 PM

I think college football is headed in this direction because some much money ?? is involved.

And college football is becoming a rich mans hobby! That’s unfortunate too !

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 16, 2018, 5:30 PM

Just drop those with one conference champ or less.

Wake gets to stay coots get the boot. I am sure that Pitt can dust off some old wooden trophies.

Still, I am fine with the current system. It is working... unless you are ranked #1 entering the playoff.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 16, 2018, 5:35 PM

Well the problem on the table is how to determine the Best Team in the land for a particular year, not how to keep all the Conferences happy (rich). The four Mega-conference / top team into a playoff system doesn't move the ball forward, but backwards. It does nothing to ensure that the top four teams get in. Folks have got to let go of the Conference Affiliation conundrum. Unfortunately, the system we have is closest thing we have, or will have, to the best solution. And don't get me started on expanding to 6 (ugh!) or 8 teams. Frankly, I like the mayhem and controversy. It keeps College Football from looking like the sterilized NFL.

Oct 16, 2018, 5:41 PM

And what do you do about Notre Dame?

Oct 16, 2018, 5:43 PM

They have a choice. Join a conference or drop down with the Lesser schools.

Nostalgia? Harvard and Yale once ruled college football too. Times change.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How about, poach the top 2 or 3 teams from each conference

Oct 16, 2018, 6:02 PM

and start a new premiere conference of elite teams only? Great match ups all season with a multigame playoff at the end for the Elite conference champ. Maybe have an external invite into the playoff for an outstanding school outside of the conference.

Every few years, allow for a process to rotate better teams in.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

aka -- Champions League in Europe

Oct 16, 2018, 8:24 PM

I'd have to think on how to make that one work ...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Clemson wasn’t that much better with Trevor Lawrence, if at all.”

Re: How about, poach the top 2 or 3 teams from each conference

Oct 16, 2018, 9:12 PM [ in reply to How about, poach the top 2 or 3 teams from each conference ]

You watch too much premier league.

Agree with the premise for several reasons

Oct 16, 2018, 8:23 PM

It makes late-season games for the cellar dwellers relevant.

It elevates the UCFs and Boise States of the world into deserved contention.

But it shouldn't be the best 4 -- it should be the best 8-16 -- broken up by regions.

Regions (and rivalries) still matter. Smaller schools can't afford big travel budgets, etc.

Best of all -- it forces Notre Dame to finally commit to the future.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Clemson wasn’t that much better with Trevor Lawrence, if at all.”

Re: Agree with the premise for several reasons

Oct 16, 2018, 8:29 PM

I like 6 teams.

Top 4 Conf champs via committees rankings are in. Top 2 with a bye.

Last 2 are are at large : so you would comsider the 5th conf champ against group of 5 against other non champs.

Keeps conf champ relevant. Gives options if a conf has multiple elite teams and doesnt water it down because of the bye.

Oct 16, 2018, 8:32 PM

No

Oct 16, 2018, 9:42 PM

Go to 6 Team Playoff
with 6 / 16 team conferences.

Only play 10 regular season games

8 con
2 non-con

Most teams would schedule an in state school or another "rival" from
another power 5 for the non con to maintain in state revenues.

Conference Championship weekend is Thanksgiving Week thus establishing the 6 teams

1st round of playoffs begin during reg con. champ week. (first week of dec.)

2nd and Champ rounds of playoffs go new years and week after.

this eliminates any confusion and the need for committees.

use the extra funds for referee education and replay cameras.

Everyone gets a fair shot and the current playoff picture does not change much.

As long as we have a 4 team playoff, the solution is simple

Oct 16, 2018, 9:37 PM

Only the five conference champs are eligible for the playoff. All the committee has to decide is, which one gets left out, and the seeding of the top four. This would take most of the subjectivity out of it. This would also virtually eliminate the possibility of a 3 loss conference champ ever getting in. May occasionally have a 2 loss champ in.

I have no problem with saying, "You have to win your conference to get in the playoff." It virtually eliminates the bullshitt "eye-test", which is the most subjective of all! And Notre Dame? Get all in with the ACC, or to #### with you!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I love the current system, and having at least 1 conference left out is perfect.

Oct 16, 2018, 9:54 PM

Keeps the games so important and allows for the endless entertaining speculation that is college football. 4 straight conference champs is too sterile.

null

Oct 16, 2018, 9:55 PM

Personally I say just raise it to 6 team playoff. #1 & #2 get first round bye. Being a conference champ shouldn’t mean you get an automatic bid. PAC 12 isn’t good again this year so no need to waste a spot on them. I would say put in a stipulation if you aren’t in a conference you will not get in. That would be pretty cool demoting teams who suck.

Message was edited by: Clemson_country89®

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Or just say, if you aren't a conference champ. can't get in!***

Oct 16, 2018, 10:00 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Or just say, if you aren't a conference champ. can't get in!***

Oct 16, 2018, 10:05 PM

I know but still no one in the PAC 12 should sniff the Playoffs this year so how would you combat that. Plus you would have teams constantly schedule 3 or 4 really bad teams to save/rest guys.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

See my earlier post...Keep 4 team playoff, limit it to the

Oct 16, 2018, 10:13 PM

best four of the five conference champs. Eliminates much of the committee subjectivity, eliminates the "Notre Dame problem", and keeps the weakest conference champ out. Also eliminates the possibility of conference rematches.

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic