Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
A little bit of a perspective on the talent differential
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

A little bit of a perspective on the talent differential

Mar 24, 2018, 1:44 PM

between Clemson and the rest of the ACC programs. Per 24-7, our class rankings in BBall under Brownell have been

2018 9th
2017 9th (facilities updated)
2016 15th
2015 14th
2014 12th
2013 14th
2011 11th
2010 15th

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think Clemson fans are often unaware of just how

Mar 24, 2018, 1:48 PM

Much of a disadvantage we have been at culturally and thus ability wise.

Our coaching had pretty much been the sole reason we weren't finishing dead last in the ACC year in and year out.

Things are improving, though. With continued uptick in recruiting hopefully the Clemson fans, culture, and administration will continue doing their part in giving Brad all the help we can get.

Lord knows we did for Dabo.

Believe in Brad! This guy is legit. The #s don't lie.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^ AND?

Mar 24, 2018, 1:49 PM

I’m slow but think I know where you’re with this math.

OH, Sweet 16 BABY!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ^^ AND?

Mar 24, 2018, 1:53 PM

I a saying we have had a huge disadvantage in the league, and until recently had to compete with Mid major programs for talent in the region. We were literally losing recruiting battles to Wofford, Davidson, App State and the like before we upgraded the Basketball annex. Even still, our facilities are still in the bottom half of the league.

We were in the same Boat under tommy bowden in football not long ago, but took a huge step forward in recruiting when we upgraded DV and added the football operations complex. The people that say we can not win here because of lack of tradition, or that we are in the country, have not been paying attention to the fact that we just have not invested in our program the way the other schools in the conference do.

Sure, the new reno, $60-80mil total was announced in 2013...

Mar 24, 2018, 3:09 PM

so coach could start recruiting to that coming as soon as the green light was given.

Mo is better, better is good.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So a basketball recruit coming in the 2014 class is supposed

Mar 24, 2018, 4:43 PM

to be stoked about some facility upgrades that will finished 4 years later? 2 years in the old dump, one year playing in Greenville, and then maybe a SR season in the new digs. Sign me up!

Most coaches start recruiting kids before their senior year

Mar 24, 2018, 4:48 PM

but building momentum for the program is all part of it. Certainly.

Dabo has said as much, for #### good reason, as long as you have something to show them, it builds excitement that should surround & support future growth.

Sorry you're so short-sighted.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes, because some of our fans incorrectly view support for basketball

Mar 24, 2018, 3:26 PM [ in reply to Re: ^^ AND? ]

as a lack of support for football. It isn’t either or.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Proverbs 16:18

Going through the yearly 247 rankings you've listed...

Mar 24, 2018, 3:07 PM

current team members I did not see...

Eli Thomas
David Skara
Marquise Reed
Shelton Mitchell
Mark Donnal

~4 starters or 3 starters[w/ Simms not Skara] & ~2 big role players are not listed, so it appears transfers are excluded.

Just an FYIs.

Transfers are the key***

Mar 24, 2018, 3:45 PM

I'd say so, 4 of the 5 starting last night via that route.***

Mar 24, 2018, 4:52 PM

Re: I'd say so, 4 of the 5 starting last night via that route.***

Mar 24, 2018, 7:28 PM

I doubt we will have to continue this route, we are getting much better quality talent out of HS based on offers in the last 3 classes. The new practice courts and player amenities are a big step up from the ones completed under Purnell's watch. That upgrade was a huge waste of money and got torn down 10 years after it was completed.

I volunteered my services to the Clemson AD on that, as well as the FB operations complex and worked with the project architect out of Kansas city to visualize the space to help facilitate their design decisions

Ehhh, I'm not locked into which route our coach chooses, if the..

Mar 24, 2018, 7:47 PM

results support the donations, most definitely mine.

I've helped pay for those "adjustments", but I got involved to point out 247's numbers don't seem to tell the whole story.

Where coach goes from here is on coach; hopefully most of us endeavor to persevere[whatever that means] & enjoy the ride.

Re: Ehhh, I'm not locked into which route our coach chooses, if the..

Mar 25, 2018, 12:01 PM

Basically, those numbers were worse up until this past season. We had a good bit of guys transfer out, which kept our coached up depth depleted. I'd say 2 seasons but 2 of the 4 players you mentioned didn't play until this season and Thomas spent most of last year on the bench in foul trouble. Mitchell showed a lot of promise last year. Thomas also did when he wasn't in foul trouble but again, he was rarely not in foul trouble in his first season at Clemson.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sounds a HC issue, but there have been other transfers...

Mar 25, 2018, 12:27 PM

into Clemson as well. Holmes & Harrison come to mind and counted on heavily. Some have said it's the way of the world, college basketball world, so live and die by that sword?

If Coach wants to cycle through his recruits for transfers, so be it, that's on him. It appears pretty clear that he'd found something this year that mostly relied on the transfer route and though they couldn't play right away in some cases, they could practice, which is important to the whole.

I don't know where he goes from here, that's on him, but 247 doesn't include everything, that's not in question.

Re: Sounds a HC issue, but there have been other transfers...

Mar 25, 2018, 12:35 PM

Agreed on the tell all not being there. I'm not sure if there is a 3/4 years down the road updated class ranking. The would help.

Besides Holmes and Harrison can you recall any others? I know Legend R. came in but was pretty much ineffective beyond a body on the court at times. I remember there was a few year run where we had 2 - 4 (seem like, haha) transfer out.

Not sure and don't care tbh. I gave the OP an FYI, no more,

Mar 25, 2018, 12:43 PM

no less and then he felt coach might go more towards the normal recruiting route, perhaps fewer transfers? That's good business if coach chooses that route, I'm all for it.

But truly, I don't care how Coach does it as long as it is the right way, so to speak. Really, he's paid good money to provide results, if he fails, that's on him. If people want to question him cycling through his recruits, showing them the door, that's on him as well.

This year's run was transfer laden, heavily as will next year's be if one is to happen. He's been given some tools to use however he sees fit so godspeed if the CUAD gives him a pat on the back after this year. He only has 3 years remaining on his contract, so yes, he'll get at least one more and then some?

Re: Sounds a HC issue, but there have been other transfers...

Mar 25, 2018, 12:36 PM [ in reply to Sounds a HC issue, but there have been other transfers... ]

Agreed on the tell all not being there. I'm not sure if there is a 3/4 years down the road updated class ranking. That would help.

Besides Holmes and Harrison can you recall any others? I know Legend R. came in but was pretty much ineffective beyond a body on the court at times. I remember there was a few year run where we had 2 - 4 (seemed like, haha) transfer out.

Re: A little bit of a perspective on the talent differential

Mar 24, 2018, 3:48 PM

If you'd transfer that to ACC football rankings per year ... we're Virginia or Syracuse .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Mar 24, 2018, 4:52 PM

We need to get you 800 points quickly to get you that set of knives at 20,000 Tigerdug

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Mar 24, 2018, 6:54 PM

These are conference rankings or National?

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic