Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
A couple questions for the economic analysis folks
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 2
| visibility 1,016

A couple questions for the economic analysis folks

Apr 13, 2016, 3:37 PM

A couple of issues that I don't think have been addressed yet:

First, I understand the supply/demand market approach at arriving at the fair market value for a ticket. We know that the interest in Clemson football is at an all-time high, but if those that claim that students can't afford these tickets are right and the ticket office can't sell out the full allotment are they then going to reduce the price to correct for the "fair market value?" Suppose Clemson football wanes in popularity in the future if we have a down season, will the price be dropped to reflect the decrease in demand?

Secondly, I'm not sure how they arrived at the $225 amount -- I'm sure they must have made some calculation of the "value" -- but suppose they don't sell the full allotment of the "premium" lower bowl tickets, do we know if those student seats will just remain open or will non-paying students be moved into those spots? I think we can all agree, paying or not, we want a lot of students down close to the field where they can contribute the most noise.

I still think this is a short sighted approach and ignores the intangible benefit of getting students hooked on Clemson football early, but I did want to figure out a few more mechanics of this proposed student ticket system before I entirely cast judgment.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: A couple questions for the economic analysis folks

Apr 13, 2016, 3:48 PM

Let's see....the announcement happened right about the time that Dabo's contract was increased. Coincidence? I'm going to guess at some numbers here, but I'll guess that the lower bowl areas for students will accomodate 6,000 to 7,000 students. At $225 per student, that is close to $1.5 million per year. Didn't Dabo's contract go up around $1.5 million or so? I like Dabo as a coach and what I know about him as a man, but it seems like the athletic department is looking to the students to fund Dabo's new contract.....

be careful using simple logic on this board...

Apr 13, 2016, 4:38 PM

You, my friend, have absolutely nailed this one. I don't care what anyone says, this all has to do with making sure there is enough revenue to cover the new contact. I love Dabo and this program more than my 2nd child (joke), but it's just bad optics to have done it this way. Part of the college experience is attending athletic events for FREE. There shouldn't be a price on the lower level student tix. Why now? Raise IPTAY dues by 10% but don't put this on the backs of parents that are already being nickled and dimed at every turn while putting a kid through college.

One of the worst decisions I have seen MY University make.

Replies: 2
| visibility 1,016
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic