Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
A Lazy Fisherman's Hole
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1

A Lazy Fisherman's Hole

May 23, 2019, 4:09 PM

One of the best fishing spots near Belle Glade, FL., was at the exit gate from Lake Okeechobee to the canal that runs through Belle Glade. It was strictly bank fishing, a perfect spot for a lazy fisherman like me. A cooler, bait bucket and everything in arm's reach and, if I so desired, I could have taken my easy chair with me.

I don't know about you guys that can't go fishing unless you have a forty foot boat, $3,738.00 worth of fishing gear and a $498.00 camera that takes a picture of your catch sideways or upside down, but to me fun is fishing with a cane pole. I always took a cane pole along with my rod and reel when I wanted to have some fun. This spot I'm writing about is no secret spot,. everyone in South Florida knew it was a "hot hole" and on this particular day, just about everyone was there.

The first thing I did was put a nice fat juicy worm on the hook of my cane pole and before anyone could say, "the Tigers beat the stuffing out of Alabama" I had a one pound crappie. I re-wormed the hook and as soon as it hit the water, I had another crappie. Those crappie were not giving the bream a chance to take my bait. If this kept up, I would never have a chance to use my rod and reel so after catching a couple more crappie, I laid the cane pole aside and began to cast. Several casts yielded nothing, not even a bite, and then it happened, the dreaded back lash. I truly believe those old reels came with a guarantee of 1,472 back lashes. I probably said, "to heck with it" and laid my rod and reel aside.

Went back to my trusty cane pole and caught a few more crappie and then decided to call it a day. I just don't get the joy of cleaning fish that I do in the catching. Now back to the rod and reel. I had to take care of the back lash. When That task was finished, I wanted to make another cast to be sure to see if I had solved the problem. I was slowly reeling it in when suddenly there was a big jerk on my line and I knew it was not a one pound crappie. It jumped out of the water and I was bug-eyed. That was the biggest lunker I had ever snagged and I had not yet reeled it in. Most of the other fishermen came up to see what was on my line.

When I finally got it out of the water all of the other fishermen were guessing how much it weighed. Some were guessing it's weight as being between ten to twelve pounds. In the past,I had caught several in the six pound range and this one was much larger. No one had a scale so we never did get an actual weight but I've always said it was an eight pounder. Well, I made a few more casts but no luck. Decided to stay a little longer and went back to my cane pole and caught a couple more crappie, all being about one pound.

I had put my catch on a straight stringer. When I got home and was showing my wife my catch, I had a difficult time trying to get the bass off the stringer, Finally, I saw the problem. The first crappie I caught after catching the bass was in the mouth of the bass and that one pound crappie didn't even fill up it's mouth.

Happiness is when a fisherman forgets all the times when he didn't even get so much as a bite.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: A Lazy Fisherman's Hole

May 23, 2019, 5:18 PM

Happiness is when a fisherman forgets all the times when he didn't even get so much as a bite.

Truth..... and the essence of marlin fishing.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm still trying to forget a few expensive boat rides***

May 26, 2019, 3:48 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is NOT what I was expecting.

May 23, 2019, 5:38 PM

signed, Francis Marion®

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

I had my 8 yr/o son and his 14 yr/o sister in a 12'...

May 25, 2019, 5:57 PM

aluminum boat on that Watershed in Williamston, SC some time back. The boy is 31 tomorrow. We were fishing with 6# test monofilament line and hooking the tip of a nightcrawler on a #6 baithook. No sinker.

The boy was beating the side out of that little boat casting and laying the rod down to swig coke out of a 2 ltr bottle intermittently stuffing potato chips in his face. I was scolding him for the third time about being quiet when I noticed his line twitch. According to my directive he had the bail open on an ultralite spinning reel so when the line moved slowly away it peeled off the reel one loop at a time.

He'd been fishing with me since he was about five so he was well aware of how to deal with that activity. He lifted the rod gently and caught the line between the reel and the first eye with two fingers then lifted the rod a bit higher to see which way the fish was going.

It was headed out away from the ###. He worked the line around the close end of the boat, closed the bail on the reel and pointed the rod straight at the fish. As the line tightened he set the hook. His rod bent more than he'd every seen it bend before and he freaked a bit.

I calmed him down by lifting the anchor and putting it in the boat while telling him the fish would eventually tire and turn toward us which would let him get back some of the 30 or so yards which the fish took.

The fish came back twice but turned away and recaptured yard after yard of the boy's line. It made a loop around the boat once and that eight year old kid lifted his arms high about his head to let the line clear the ends of the boat. The last run was slower because we'd taken up the anchor on the other end of the boat and it was pulling the boat.

He played that fish as well as anyone could have with that gear. The fish finally came home exhausted from the 26 minutes of pulling against that six foot rod and a fairly set drag.

We weighed in after it had been out of the water about three hours on one of those large scales with the metal weights and it balanced out at just over 12 lbs. It cost me 180 bucks to get that fish on a wall. The engraved plaque beneath it just says, "FISHING WITH DAD"

fixed a typo
Message was edited by: ClemsonTiger1988®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I had my 8 yr/o son and his 14 yr/o sister in a 12'...

May 25, 2019, 9:18 PM

It cost $180.00 , but the memories that fish represents are worth a whale of a lot more .

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I had my 8 yr/o son and his 14 yr/o sister in a 12'...

May 26, 2019, 4:49 PM [ in reply to I had my 8 yr/o son and his 14 yr/o sister in a 12'... ]

Awesome story. My dad and I use to fish Murrells inlet near Myrtle Beach, SC 3 or 4 times a year. I was in my 30’s my dad in his 60’s. He was the one making all the noise. I would have to rig his line and had to teach him how to use a bait caster reel. One outing he accidentally threw my $200 rod and reel into the inlet. By sheer luck we hooked the line and recovered the reel. With all of our mishaps we had in our boat and lived to tell about it we decided to name our boat “ The Laurel and Hardy” . Fishing with my day for so many years left me with many great memories.

Congrats to your son for landing such s big fish. Something difficult even by seasoned fishermen. Great memories, thank you for sharing this story.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

All my children fished with me regularly until they...

May 26, 2019, 6:13 PM

reached those teen years when they wanted to stay up all Friday night and howl at the moon. My middle two daughters quit when the oldest of the two was 15. She and her 13 y/o sister sunbathed on the boat one Sat then decided not to go again when it was their turn. It sure made the two sons happy.

I don't know if you remember the first reel with magnetic antibacklash. A friend bought one for his wife. It was about 100 bucks in the early 1970s. I had a deep diver on the end of his Fenwick rod while fishing with another friend. The boat got a little out of hand on the West side of the river below the Watts Bar ### and the plug dug into something while I was helping with correct the boat.

Anyway, I spent two hours dragging with a treble hook with a huge hunk of lead in front of it before I got that rod and reel back. I never left a rod unattended again and I have borrowed anything fishing related since.

I just bought a 7' 6" Fenwick Aetos spinning rod. I expect to leave that to whichever son doesn't get my 2002 Martin 00028ec guitar.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 25, 2019, 6:03 PM

Can’t catch fish to save my life most of the time. Kinda like my golf game.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 25, 2019, 8:10 PM

Agree - Joe - that’s kind of like the golfer who remembers the one good shot he hit all day - and forgets about all the bad ones !! -:)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If people were as good as their obituary - and products were as good as advertised - this would truly be a wonderful world !!

May 26, 2019, 12:02 PM

I remember fishing with my Dad when I was little in Lake Hartwell, small farm lakes and on the rivers. After a time, we mostly fished the rivers for trout and would cook the fish we caught for lunch or supper along the river bank. He would always out catch me and over time as I got older and other interests we fished less.

After my son was born and was old enough to fish, I would take him to small lakes and the river to fish for trout. He loved to fish so I set up a trout fishing trip with my Dad, my son and me. Little did I know this would be the last fishing trip I would make with my Dad.

There we were, 3 generations of fishermen trout fishing. That day is the first day I remember catching more than him. It was like the torch was passed. I still have an old photo from that day of my young son holding the stringer of trout along the river. I still fish in the same place now and everytime I'm there, I have those memories. Those were the days.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I only take the 40 footer when I am fishing off shore,

May 26, 2019, 12:06 PM

otherwise I use my 24 foot crestliner in the rivers and causeway near my Jupiter Island Villa.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I only take the 40 footer when I am fishing off shore,

May 26, 2019, 9:54 PM

You ever go fishing with Tiger - TBalm ? -:)

If people were as good as their obituary - and products were as good as advertised - this would truly be a wonderful world !!

May 26, 2019, 4:33 PM

Great story! And I can relate to those back lashes. I let the S word many times learning to use a bait caster. Keep the stories coming.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I really love the many heartfelt stories fishing always....

May 26, 2019, 9:56 PM

... brings out !! Think all of us have them .....

Replies: 14
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic