Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
A Coach K Story - Not a Fan
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 3
| visibility 729

A Coach K Story - Not a Fan

Jan 11, 2014, 9:35 PM

Quick Background: I attended Clemson as a Frosh in '79 as a VA native because of ACC basketball and warm weather. Grew up watching great David Thompson NCSU team, strong MD and UNC teams, and 8th place UVA (in 8 team ACC) with Wally Walker win the ACC championship. Turns out Clemson was a football school ... and the great D. Ford football teams natl championship was an unexpected bonus!

As a student, went on to watch Clemson beat #1 Duke in most attended Clemson hoops game ever in '79, as well as enjoy Sampson, Worthy, Jordan, Bias and many more greats play in Littlejohn. I saw UNC beat Fab Five (In New Orleans ... you could see C. Webber walk from upper deck b4 he called time), saw Laettner & Hurley win Final Four in Minneapolis, and UCLA win in Seattle.

Anyway, back to Coach K. Some years ago on TV, saw Clemson up at end of game by 3 with Duke man on line with a few seconds left. It was rare to beat Duke and I was pumped - looked like game was over. On 2nd shot, it appeared Elden Campbell blocked out Dahntay Jones and elbowed him in the face sending Jones to the floor. The announcers were aghast. The game should have been over except for this stupid Campbell mistake. Then they showed the TV replay. Jones had grabbed Campbell by the waist band and pulled the 7-footer on top of him and sprawled out. No ref access to TV in those days. A minute later Jones hit two free throws and Duke walked out with ill-gained victory. OK. Call it a dirty play by Jones. Except, I saw the exact same play from Duke a few years later when Jones was not on team. Meaning this was a Coach K play. Yes, the most profane, spitting and vulgar basketball coach in the ACC for many years now. And the greatest winner. He is smart, driven, disciplined and will do anything to win ... even cheat. And he plays quite the role of a statesman off the court. And he has aged and mellowed. I still don't like him. So congratulations to Brownell, Blossomgame, KJ and the team for a great great win.

SO that's one of my stories on why I dislike Coach K. Go Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Is he a Packer's fan. I would bet he is.***

Jan 11, 2014, 9:41 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Is he a Packer's fan. I would bet he is.- Chicago guy

Jan 11, 2014, 10:23 PM

I'd bet da' Bears

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Definitely not a fan of Dahntay Jones but he was 10 during Elden senior year?***

Jan 11, 2014, 10:47 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Always do whatever's next. -cuda

Replies: 3
| visibility 729
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic