Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
680 The Fan Choke Prediction
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 1,080

680 The Fan Choke Prediction

Aug 23, 2013, 11:09 AM

The guys on The Rude Awakening show in Atlanta this morning were talking about how our defense really "gave it up" last season to FSU and what's to keep that from happening against Georgia, etc. - were talking like we can't win the big games.

The past is the past - we have new and stronger players on defense now.

To their credit, they did talk about how well our defense played again LSU and how our offense came back to win.

We'll see on the 31st. If we come to play, we can definitely win. If we make stupid mistakes/penalties, we'll lose.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 680 The Fan Choke Prediction

Aug 23, 2013, 11:22 AM

an FSU-style game could absolutely unfold. UGA's offense is multi-faceted and better than 2012 FSU (I think).
We can certainly win...but, the LSU game doesn't wash away everything before it. The 2 games before LSU, our D was atrocious. Too many folks are assuming that we suddenly got it fixed and are set to roll. These are the same players that got rolled by FSU, SCAR, and NCSU.

Hope 12/31 was a glimpse into the future. I really do.

LSU was a 1 dimensional team

Aug 23, 2013, 11:39 AM

they couldn't throw it at all.

UGA is probably the most dynamic and well rounded offense we've faced in a couple of years. LSU just proved that we can win a physical game on both sides of the ball.

It'll come down to if we can keep our poise or not.....

Aug 23, 2013, 11:46 AM [ in reply to Re: 680 The Fan Choke Prediction ]

If we don't we could implode like we did against WVU in the OB - if we keep our heads we can win.

I do feel if we win it will be a high-scoring game - I don't look for our defense to be able to hold them down.

I'm thinking 42-38 or something like that.

Just looking at stats and common opponents...

Aug 23, 2013, 12:05 PM [ in reply to Re: 680 The Fan Choke Prediction ]

Florida State gained about three yards per game (470.8)more than Georgia (467.6), including about 20 yards more per game on the ground (205.9 to 182.6).

Here's their stats against common opponents:

Florida

FSU:
- 300 total yards of offense
- 394 total yards given up
- 26 points scored (versus 36 given up)
UGA:
- 273 total yards of offense
- 266 total yards given up
- 17 points scored (versus 9 given up)

Georgia Tech

FSU:
- 328 total yards of offense
- 301 total yards given up
- 21 points scored (versus 15 given up)

UGA:
- 379 total yards of offense
- 426 total yards given up
- 42 points scored (versus 10 given up)

So it looks like UGA might have done a little better job of scoring than FSU did (altough, in outscoring UGA against Florida, FSU still lost), while FSU was a little better at gaining yards.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

that's a good point, but...

Aug 23, 2013, 11:47 AM

FSU was a very, very different offense from UGA's. They were a speed team with a bunch of great athletes all over the field, whereas UGA is more about power and play action in the passing game. I also don't see Aaron Murray being anything like the threat to run that Manuel was.

And while it's true that FSU beat us with their offense, Clemson was fine until they gave up a big kick return. Who knows how the game goes if that doesn't happen.

It's also true that FSU's defense last year was MUCH better than UGA's defense is going to be this year. Clemson still moved the ball up and down the field on them for most of the game. That doesn't bode well for UGA, especially with Clemson playing at home (versus playing FSU on the road).

All of that seems to add up to a shoot- out, but whenever that's supposed to happen it never does.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What else is a "Bulldog" station going to say?

Aug 23, 2013, 11:48 AM

Gota keep the puppy fans happy.

Keeping it real.........

Aug 23, 2013, 12:15 PM

UGA has the potential this year of being a great offensive team. Outstanding QB who is going to break a lot of SEC records this year if not already; two NFL rb's , one of which is a Heisman contender; 5 returning starters on the Oline and a bunch of exceptional, speedy receivers. Their D is the only question mark, but the backups for last years squad have experience and were highly rated out of HS. We were very lucky that LSU had no offense last year. They were totally one dimensional. God help us if they could have passed at all. The point is, UGA is going to be a WAR. This is an outstanding team. We better not fall behind like we did against Auburn a few years ago or Wake last year. The key to this game will be our secondary. Our d line is deep, but the secondary scares the #### out of me. They will play their best, but I don't know if that will be enough. Unless UGA has a brain #### like against the Coots last year, I expect this to be a nail biting track meet. Anyone predicting a blow out is delusional. My butterflies are growing each day. We've got it together this year....but I think they do too! This should be a great game. Glad we're in the Valley. Go Tigers!

Re: Keeping it real.........

Aug 23, 2013, 12:36 PM

yeah...some of these predictions are not based in reality.

As fun and exciting as the Peach Bowl win was...it has caused some folks to lose touch.

Replies: 8
| visibility 1,080
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic