Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
6 Team PLAY OFF?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1,113

6 Team PLAY OFF?

Nov 29, 2016, 11:51 AM

Who SHOULD BE IN this 4 team playoff for this mythical national title game if the Conference Titles are won by Clemson, 'Bama, Penn State, Washington? Clemson, 'Bama, Penn State, and Washington, of course.
Someone said "Leave out Washington because of their "weak" schedule".
We cannot leave out Washington. I am not sure why they said Washington has a weak schedule. In all reality, it is the SEC that is at the bottom of the heap this year. Of the conferences with the most 9+ win teams the breakdown is as follows:
1.Big 10
2.PAC12/ACC
3.SEC
If we go by strength of schedule, really, lets leave out Alabama. Considering KENT state, UT Chatanooga, a down USC (who had personell changes and is now an entirely different team), and the rest of the scrum they have faced all year.
Reality:
They will skip Penn State/Wisc and put in Ohio State. Washington will not be left out if they win their Conference Title. Same with Clemson and 'Bama.
The issue with this is simple: a CFP representative said (on NATIONAL TELEVISION), the reason they left out BAYLOR/TCU and put in OHIO STATE is because Ohio State won its CONFERENCE TITLE and the Big 12 DID NOT HAVE A CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIP. At that point, they set a precedent. (Almost). Because what do we see now? We see ESPN and the media pushing to leave out a DESERVING Pac12 Champion to add in their favorites. The purpose of a 4 game playoff is to ALWAYS leave out a Power 5 team. This way, the media has a power over college football beyond the schools and even the players that play the game.
It would be proper to have AT LEAST a 6 team playoff in which the conference Champions have an automatic bid and the 1 left over can be the argument of the "most deserving" out of folks like Notre Dame (who wont join the ACC in earnest), Boise State, or any hotshot from the AAC conference.
Don't expect this to change unless the conferences and the schools push their combined weight and take back ownership OF THEIR PROGRAMS and simply tell the MEDIA to screw off.
As long as you leave out a Power 5 team EVERY YEAR (and possibly 2 teams THIS year) the ESPN and media folks will always have too much control over the future of coaching jobs, programs, recruiting, TV rights and Championships. So far...it is GREAT for their ratings. Everyone tunes in to hear "WHO'S IN" and listens to the utter BS they spew. Especially after a precedent was set regarding a Conference Championship (ALMOST), and how it will, now, only pick THIS WEEK'S MOST DESERVING 4 Teams! (IF that is so...how would we look at the "body of work" if it is THIS WEEK???)
This is how you KNOW they are all completely full of BS.
Once upon a time, a team that had a rough start, lost a couple of games but finished STRONG was HOPE FOR NEXT YEAR...now..it's: Let's forget about the teams that DID THEIR JOB THIS YEAR and even WON A CONFERENCE TITLE!
The next media pundit that writes a another story inferring that we are WHINING about a 6 team playoff..I am going to make it my personal JOB to troll them non stop for a year with every piece of technology I can get my hands on.
How TIRED are we of being TOLD who is the "best". No matter how far we have come, it still boils down to a bunch of barely literate football pundits telling us that what we see ISN'T what we see...
P.S. That article that suggested that the reason the Ohio State v Michigan game was only so intense BECAUSE of a 4 team playoff and if it were a 6 team playoff it wouldn't have been intense is a COMPLETE MORON. That game is intense EVERY year for a 100 years. I know two states full of people that BEG to differ. (Before the BSC, Before the PLAYOFFS, Woody Hayes - coach of Ohio State went for a 2 point conversion on Michigan. They asked him WHY he went for a 2 point conversion. HIS ANSWER: "Because I couldn't go for 3". ESPN has NOTHING to do with that rivalry. But they try to SELL you on this ideology...no different that polls that say Hillary in a landslide.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The PLAY OFF committee's job should be real

Nov 29, 2016, 12:01 PM

Easy.

Pic which power 5 conference champ is left out.

That simple. The conferences should figure out better ways to get the right team in....not the comittee.

I agree.... 6 teams will be fine. 5 conference champs guaranteed..1 pik your prom queen.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: The PLAY OFF committee's job should be real

Nov 29, 2016, 12:18 PM

That is precisely the problem though. We all can sit here and say exactly what you just said. (And we have been saying that for going on 30 years). One component that you see over and over: BSC = VOTING. Playoff = VOTING. It's really the same thing. Voting is the common component because the CONFERENCES will NOT TAKE CONTROL of THEIR OWN SPORT because the MEDIA outlet waves contracts and money and they do not THINK about what it actually does to their schools, recruiting, coaches, revenue, players and so on. Maybe Donal trump needs to negotiate a better deal here.

Re: Leave it like it is. You will never be satisfied. You

Nov 29, 2016, 12:33 PM

will want six, then eight, and more. Someone will always argue for another team. Get good enough to make the top 4 without any argument or forget it.

Re: Leave it like it is. You will never be satisfied. You

Nov 29, 2016, 1:26 PM

Wrong. You know why? Because I said you are wrong. Just like the voters for who is "good enough". See how that works? They say who is and who aren't. Automatic seat for conference Championships work because you HAVE TO EARN that.

Re: 6 Team PLAY OFF?

Nov 29, 2016, 12:40 PM

I agree with most of the OP. Pundits, polls, analysts, experts.....bunch of hogwash. It ain't figure skating, can't be JUDGED, play the game, there's your judgement.

I'd like to see 2 things happen.

1. Everybody dump their cupcake game. It has nothing to do with competition or sport. It's charity, it's about money for the small school. Keep the charity, giv'em the money, just don't play the game. It's a waste of time, risks injury on both sides for nothing. BIG12 needs to dump 2 cupcakes and add a Conference Championship Game. If the BIG12 doesn't want to do that, leav'em out, cowards don't get to play in Championships......or let them take their chances on VOTING (total joke)

2. Now you have an extra game slot available. Go to an 8 team playoff. Power 5 Conference Champions are automatic, leaving 3 spots available for all the Sport's Politicians to pontificate about. Gives pukes like Cowherd something to talk about so that they can have paycheck.

Nov 29, 2016, 1:28 PM

Pretty much agree. 8 team playoff will require dropping "Joe #### the Rag Man U" each year.

No, no, no, NO, NO, NO!!!!!

Nov 29, 2016, 12:54 PM

Unless every team is in the playoffs, there will be somebody saying the field should be expanded. Even 64 basketball teams weren't enough for some apparently.

4 is perfect. Somebody will feel left out but they shouldn't have lost. No more teams!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

4 is perfect. Don't water down the regular season or

Nov 29, 2016, 12:55 PM

conference championship games.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 29, 2016, 1:19 PM

I say take Bama, Clemson, Washington and O St. Leave Penn State out if they do win the conference championship, they lost two games!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

4 is perfect. 4 just guarantees the best 2 get in.

Nov 29, 2016, 1:21 PM

I don't care if the best 4 get in.

Right now, Bama is clearly number one. Ohio State, Clemson and Washington are all vying for #2. Adding anyone else is totally unnecessary. Slippery slope should be stopped now.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 29, 2016, 1:28 PM

6 is a terrible idea for one reason only...

We have our current system due to the gap between 2 and 3 not being that large most years. Now you are wanting to give one of those teams a massive advantage over the other in the form of a bye week.

If it expands it needs to go 8. Bye weeks are a bad idea.

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

Nov 29, 2016, 1:31 PM

Hence "MINIMUM" of 6. 8 would be perfect. The true push back isn't really from the Universities, coaches, players OR fans. Its from the same ######## in the media that get a vote. Getting the media and sports writers that get a vote to agree to that system is like getting a welfare recipient to vote for a republican. Its against their self interest. I'm just amazed at how many fans don't get that.

i said this before..

Nov 29, 2016, 1:36 PM

6 teams top two seeds get first round byes

Replies: 13
| visibility 1,113
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic