Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
50 years ago today -Vietnam- Lt. Mac...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 4
| visibility 1

50 years ago today -Vietnam- Lt. Mac...

Sep 23, 2020, 2:43 PM

We had a recent change in platoon leader (3rd or 4th new 2nd Lt. since I arrived in country) and this one wanted to experience new things. He decided he wanted to take a few guys away from the main Company night position for an ambush on any VC lurkers in the night. I was among the 6 or so guys chosen to set up with him. After we got claymore mines put out and settled into a spot with just a little cover ( rice paddy dikes about 18 inches high) we had a quiet night, but after daybreak, when we should have gotten up to return to the main group, we just stayed in place ( for a loooooonnnnngggg time) even though we could see the rest of the company moving around. After asking the LT. several times if we could take up the claymores and head back, I realized that he was scared to stand up since we would be exposed to anyone nearby. After I asked him if he wanted me and another guy to get up and retrieve the claymores, he looked relieved but stayed in place until we returned. He didn't plan anymore night ambushes after that night.

Message was edited by: clover65®

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 50 years ago today -Vietnam- Lt. Mac...

Sep 23, 2020, 9:35 PM

How we grow as they say. Make a mistake, ok but learn from it. I bet you guys would give a new or green LT h e l l.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 23, 2020, 11:57 PM

Clover ..... here is the citation for my good friend and fellow OCS and Basic school classmate for his Navy Cross. He was on the receiving end of an ambush like you had set up. I stopped by John's compound after this had happened and he said that basically they walked right into an ambush and had not other choice that to attack the ambushers and he would have had men killed had they tried to "run".

The President of the United States of America takes pleasure in presenting the Navy Cross to Second Lieutenant John R. Hoff, Jr. (MCSN: 0-111172), United States Marine Corps Reserve, for extraordinary heroism while serving as a Platoon Commander with Company E, First Reconnaissance Battalion, FIRST Marine Division (Reinforced), Fleet Marine Force, in connection with combat operations against the enemy in the Republic of Vietnam. On 7 April 1970, while leading a seven-man patrol through a heavily jungled area southwest of DaNang, Second Lieutenant Hoff detected signs of enemy soldiers in a hut and launched an aggressive assault, resulting in the destruction of the hut and four enemy dead. Continuing his mission, he led his men deeper into the confines of the camp where the Marines came under a heavy volume of grenade launcher fire from enemy soldiers occupying well-concealed emplacements. Although outnumbered, Second Lieutenant Hoff seized the initiative and led a counterattack against the enemy, boldly moving to a dangerously exposed vantage point from which he hurled hand grenades at the hostile soldiers. As a result of his valiant efforts and the accurate fire of his men, the enemy abandoned their positions and retreated. Shortly thereafter, Second Lieutenant Hoff located a large cache of arms and ammunition and was passing the supplies to his men when the patrol was subjected to intense grenade launcher fire from enemy soldiers who had maneuvered to a nearby position. Despite the rounds impacting around him, Second Lieutenant Hoff tenaciously held his ground, hurling hand grenades and delivering rifle fire with such accuracy that he accounted for several enemy casualties and forced the remainder of the enemy to retreat. The reconnaissance efforts of the patrol having now been seriously compromised, Second Lieutenant Hoff led his men to a nearby suitable landing zone and skillfully adjusted supporting Marine artillery fire around the site until they were safely extracted the following morning. His heroic and determined actions inspired all who observed him and contributed to the success of the mission without sustaining a single Marine casualty. By his courage, aggressive leadership, and unwavering devotion to duty, he upheld the highest traditions of the Marine Corps and of the United States Naval Service.

Sep 24, 2020, 2:14 AM

Always assault through an ambush. Two interesting accounts. Thanks for your service. Semper Fi!

Sep 24, 2020, 7:12 PM

That is correct and that is what John had his unit do. It is amazing, but I think John did not lose a man. John wound up with three purple hearts, all pretty superficial. I think he told me on this particular skirmish he had a round graze his finger. It is funny, but John played basketball at Boston University (I think that is correct), was a big tall guy (not skinny .... probably 6-4 or so), and not particularly a gung-ho Marine (as Marines tend to be). He wanted to do his time and get out. I doubt that he volunteered to go to a Recon unit, but when you got in country they told you where you were going. They didn't ask. Up until about a couple of weeks before I got there all Marine 2nd Lts. went straight to a rifle company in the infantry regardless of MOS. I was a combat Engineer, but by the time I got there I went straight to an Engineer Battalion. I was a littler relieved until I found out we did everything the grunts did except they always called us to the front when they found something that would blow up!

Replies: 4
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic