Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
5 conferences to fit 4 playoff slots. Explain the logic?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1,532

5 conferences to fit 4 playoff slots. Explain the logic?

Aug 6, 2015, 1:48 PM

1 conference is ALWAYS going to get left out. Perception is that will be ACC or Big 12. So, do we just play switch a roo every year? I call BS on all of this. You have to go to 6 or 8 teams to make a round peg fit a square hole.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Just win all the games, and you probably don't have to worry

Aug 6, 2015, 1:50 PM

about it.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good advise.

Aug 6, 2015, 2:03 PM

Have you ever worried that your team might be good enough to win it all and not get the chance?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No.***

Aug 6, 2015, 3:03 PM

Re: 5 conferences to fit 4 playoff slots. Explain the logic?

Aug 6, 2015, 1:54 PM

Going to 6 or 8 teams just gives the SEC more spots in the playoffs. It is not meant to offer all conferences a spot but will offer the four best teams a spot.

Just have 4 play to get to the championship

Aug 6, 2015, 10:57 PM

game against the SEC champion.

Problem solved.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

how about a playoff to determine who gets in the playoff?***

Aug 6, 2015, 1:57 PM

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

Aren't we already doing that?

Aug 6, 2015, 2:00 PM

It's called "the regular season".

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

the more teams they add to playoffs the more "devalued".....

Aug 6, 2015, 2:14 PM

the regular season becomes

2 teams (you almost had to go undefeated)
4 teams (you can likely afford to lose 1 game)
8 teams (may can afford to lose 2)
etc...

I think its a bit of a myth that teams had to be undefeated

Aug 7, 2015, 8:00 AM

to play in the BCS title game. I also feel that we will now see some 2 loss teams in the playoff at some point. It's really inevitable.

Here's the breakdown of the 32 BCS title game participants over it's 16 year history.

Undefeated teams - 19
1 loss teams - 12
2 loss teams - 1

Nearly 41% of the teams that played in the BCS championship game were not undefeated. 7 of those 13 were SEC teams, but who's counting? 10 of the 16 years at least one of the teams was not undefeated, and on 3 occasions neither team was undefeated. And you also have to consider that from 1998-2001 and 2004-2005 schools only played 11 games. With a 12th game for all teams over that 6 year period there's a decent chance you would've seen another 1-loss team or two.

I also attempted to take it one stop further to project who would've played in a 4 team playoff over that 16 year period, but it's a fairly crude attempt because all i could really do is go off the polls and final BCS rankings and kind of project who a committee would've selected.

Results: 22 undefeated (34.4%), 34 1-loss (53.1%), 8 2-loss (12.5%)

I think there was maybe 1 season where an undefeated team (possibly two) would've likely gotten left out of the playoff and that was the year that both Boise and TCU (when they were still in MWC) were 12-0 along with Cincy, Bama, and Texas. I think the latter 3 would've all been locks for the playoff with TCU, Boise, and Florida (12-1) battling for the last spot. My guess is that Florida with Tebow probably would've gotten in as they were #1 all season until Bama knocked them off in a close SECCG.

Undefeated basically means playoff lock. 1-loss gives you a great chance since 1+ loss teams should comprise about 2/3 of the playoff spots. With 2 losses the motto is obviously "SO YOU'RE TELLING ME THERE'S A CHANCE!"

I'm fine with 4......

Aug 6, 2015, 2:09 PM

year in and year out ALL of the big 5 champions wont necessarily deserve to be in the playoffs, last year being an exception.

my biggest issue with expanding the playoff is it's already virtually impossible for the "average joe fan of school X" to be able to afford to go to ONE post season game.......let alone TWO, or THREE, or FOUR.

the more post season games there are the less fans can go (they'll be forced to pick ONE) and the more commercialized super bowl esque" the playoffs will be.........and i personally don't want that for college football........the fans are a big part of what makes CFB "special"........jmo

now for TV.........it would be phenomenal ratings.......and that's what will drive it in that direction, but for example hypothetically Clemson could:

-go to the ACC Championship game (charlotte, nc).......most local fans that's feasible
-play in Texas for a semifinal
-play in arizona (a week later) in the NCG

most may could swing one of those
some could swing two
few could swing all three

It means there are not 5 teams

Aug 6, 2015, 2:15 PM

who have had a season good enough to earn a right to play for the trophy. Lets say UCLA goes 8-4 but wins the championship game should they be in? What if FSU is 11-1 and loses to Clemson who was 12-0, but then Clemson loses to a 7-5 UNC in the championship games. Who goes?

Its not about conferences or conference champions, its about the 4 best teams in the country/who has had the best season.

I wish it was that clear.

Aug 6, 2015, 4:42 PM

But it's not. It's subjective according to ESPiN's preseason polls and how they 'gauge' conferences. The fact that we are talking about it now is the supporting evidence.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 5 conferences to fit 4 playoff slots. Explain the logic?

Aug 6, 2015, 2:51 PM

Don't count the SEC being left out this year as a conference that won't make the playoffs. There's a good possibility their best schools will have at least 2 losses. You'll need to be a one loss team or undefeated to get on the playoffs.

WOULDN'T THAT BE SWEET!?!?!?

Not all conferences are equal. 4 best teams - has zero to do

Aug 6, 2015, 2:56 PM

with conference. No problem with it. Just win em all and there's no problem.

Not hardly.***

Aug 6, 2015, 4:42 PM

4 teams is good only as a step toward a legitimate

Aug 6, 2015, 8:18 PM

playoff - 8 teams minimum. It's absolutely doable and all of the "reasons" given not to have 8 teams are just excuses.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

It's actually two teams for one spot this year.

Aug 6, 2015, 8:41 PM

The SEC will always have a spot. Any B1G or PAC team that has one loss or less has a spot. Conferences will soon learn that making sure the one loss team wins the conference championship is lucrative. That leaves the big 12 and acc to fight for the last opening. The Big 12 is in this predicament because they don't have a CCG. We are in this because of Wake, BC, Pitt and half a dozen such as VT and Miami who've lost their mojo which make the ACC the weakest in the power five.

I know that's offensive but that's life. It offends me too but what offends me, speaking exclusively as an ACC member, is that there is absolutely nothing we can do outside of cheating to keep a team undefeated to get in the playoff.

Fortunately, as a Clemson Tiger we have a win it all goal, coaching and players to win with so that works itself out. Frankly, we don't need help to win out against our regular season opponents and we don't need luck. We just need the officials and luck to do their jobs fairly.

Re: It's actually two teams for one spot this year.

Aug 7, 2015, 6:46 AM

but the big 10 is trash outside of Ohio State and Michigan State. At least the ACC has Clemson, FSU, Ga Tech and Louisville. No one but OSU and MSU would finish in the top 4 of the ACC much less any of the other conferences.

For you people making excuses that 4 teams is enough.

Aug 7, 2015, 7:17 AM [ in reply to It's actually two teams for one spot this year. ]

The reason 4 is not enough, is with only four, there is too much subjectivity in the selections. Don't think the playoff committee isn't influenced by the other polls, which are influenced by the pre-season polls, which are influenced by the Espin hype machine. Every conference champ should have a spot. With a 6 or 8 team playoff, all the committee would have to do is pick the at-large teams and seed the playoff. It takes most of the subjectivity out of the committees hands, which is definitely a good thing.

Don't think for a minute if OhSt is 12-1, USC is 12-1, Baylor is 12-0, Bama is 11-2, and we are 12-1, that we wouldn't be the odd man out in a 4 team playoff. In this scenario, we would have 2 strikes against us...the anti-ACC/pro-SEC hype & the allure of the traditional "powers" like OhSt, USC & Bama.

You damm right I want each conference winner to have a guaranteed spot. Let the Espin hype machine impact the at-large selections, not the only four in as we have now. It is the best way to emasculate Espin, and take much of their influence out of the equation.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 19
| visibility 1,532
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic