Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
2016 Scholarship Count
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 71
| visibility 1

2016 Scholarship Count

Jan 21, 2016, 2:06 PM

By my very careful count, we have, including Jeff Gibson's transfer, and assuming that all current commits sign on NSD, a total of 80 scholarship players on the roster, leaving 5 to give. The 80 number includes at least 4 of what I call Dabo's 5-Heart Family Loyalty Scholarships (the Davis Twins, Brian Dawkins,Jr.and Amir Trapp)that I believe it's fair to say would not have been offered if not for their legacy family connections. At a time when so many 5* & high 4* guys are showing great interest in coming to Clemson, it would really be nice to have 9 scholarships to give rather than 5. I would think that Brian Dawkins Sr. and Jeff Davis, who had long and successful NFL careers might be able to afford their son's tuition for a year in order to get some of these future super stars in the fold. Just a thought.

Message was edited by: gatigerbc®

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This again? Really?

Jan 21, 2016, 2:10 PM

Dabo knows what he's doing. If he wants to give those kids scholarships, then they get scholarships. You can't #### and moan about legacy commits and then say we got kids because Clemson feels like family. It's one or the other.

Agreed, can we finally put this to rest?

Jan 21, 2016, 2:13 PM

Good lawd, 4 legacy scholarships on an 85 man roster....people need to see the bigger picture here

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

not only that but somebody has to actually play on the scout

Jan 21, 2016, 2:15 PM

team

not even Clemson can have 48 - 4 & 5 star players

null

Re: This again? Really?

Jan 21, 2016, 2:17 PM [ in reply to This again? Really? ]

I beg to differ. It would seem to me that handing out scholarships to guys that stand a high chance of never making an on-the-field contribution would be a downer for the great athletes. The family atmosphere at Clemson will be there one way or the other. By the way, I am an avid Dabo fan (would not trade him for anyone)and clearly understand that he has the right to do this. I just don't get it.

I wouldnt call 4 out of 85

Jan 21, 2016, 2:24 PM

"Handing out scholarships"

I think it is an appropriate number. If it gets in the 6-8 range then I would say there is reason for concern.

Maybe Ill give you the Davis twins as being more or gimmies (who knows), but Trapp and Dawkins are just small, who knows how they might develop. We need guys who are committed to giving 110% strictly on special teams, its like having role players on basketball and baseball teams

Re: I wouldnt call 4 out of 85

Jan 21, 2016, 2:46 PM

"If it gets in the 6-8 range then I would say there is reason for concern"

D.J. Greenlee, Judah Davis ,J.D. Davis , Brian Dawkins,Jr, Amir Trapp, Nick Schuessler , Adrien Dunn that's SEVEN scholarships wasted.

@CU2013

Im talkin "gimme/legacy" scholarships

Jan 21, 2016, 3:00 PM

Schuessler filled a need from a depth standpoint as a backup QB. We no longer have as glaring of an issue now, but there was a point last year when he seriously could have been needed

Greenlee wasn't as much of a long shot as the Davis twins. He was rated 3 stars by a couple recruiting services. I saw him play in high school and he is actually a decent athlete. He may eventually contribute as a blocking TE or a LB and plays on special teams. Id hardly consider him a "waste"

Adrien Dunn isn't a legacy and was, as you stated, a walk-on who earned his scholarship. This was bu no means a hand out by Dabo. I used to coach him in basketball and can vouch for his heart and effort. If the coaches saw him worthy of a scholarship, I trust their judgement

I coached basketball at Daniel and had Dunn, Greenlee, and Jaelon Oglesby on the team. The highest rated kid recruiting wise had the worst attitude on the team. Greenlee was an incredible team leader who always had a great attitude and gave everything he had to give at practice as well as games. These are the kind of players you need a few of in the locker room. They are called ROLE PLAYERS, and they make a huge difference behind the scenes

Message was edited by: CU2013®

Re: Im talkin "gimme/legacy" scholarships

Jan 21, 2016, 3:14 PM

"Schuessler"

Should have been shown the door after the season ended like we did with Martin Aiken , T.J. Burrell etc

"Id hardly consider him a "waste"

He sits the bench at TE and will never play on anything other than S/T this is consider a waste . He is a RS Sophomore and should already have his degree and be shown the door like we did with spencer region , Martin Aiken , T.J. Burrell etc . Also Clemson was his only D1 offer .

"Adrien Dunn"
Hopefully this one isn't for a full year

Jan 21, 2016, 3:21 PM

I thought you only had a problem with legacies? Now you're just an ####### that thinks he knows better than the coaches on who deserves a scholarship. Btw we didn't show anybody the door because they weren't performing, maybe you should pull for the school in the midlands if you want it done that way.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Jan 21, 2016, 3:26 PM

So why exactly are T.J. Burrell and Martin Aiken not gonna be on the team next year ? It's just a coincident that two players that don't play are leaving ?

Jan 21, 2016, 3:33 PM

Pretty simple, they graduated and go elsewhere without sitting out or decided to move on in life. Dabo has stated that If they miss on a recruit emulation it's the staffs fault and the players.

Jan 21, 2016, 3:40 PM

You are right our coaches would never suggest a kid transfer or move on

Jan 21, 2016, 3:44 PM

They'll be honest about his prospective playing time but won't "show him the door." Which is what you want done to players.

What a DOOOOOSH

Jan 21, 2016, 3:40 PM [ in reply to Re: Im talkin "gimme/legacy" scholarships ]

Good grief dude, you sound like a whiny baby at this point.

Show these kids the door?? Gimme a break! Why dump Schuess? We are a DW injury away from needing a reliable backup QB that knows the system. Bryant is obviously #2 on the depth chart at this point, but what happens if he goes down?

Greenlee is a RS freshman, why not give him another year or 2 before being so ready to cut him loose?

You are pathetic, you wanna dump these kids so quickly just so we can add a couple more "4 star" recruits that may never pan out or transfer or get kicked off the team. Grow up

That tactic worked so well for all those SEC teams

Jan 21, 2016, 3:47 PM

That have been doing it for years. That's why we're so far behind UF, Tennessee, Ole Miss and Texas A&M in the rankings, right?

Re: What a DOOOOOSH

Jan 21, 2016, 3:48 PM [ in reply to What a DOOOOOSH ]

"Greenlee is a RS freshman"

If you "coached" Greenlee then you would know what grade his is in and clearly you don't.

"Show these kids the door"

Should I have said bring the kid in and show him the depth chart and suggest a transfer ?

"more "4 star" recruits that may never pan out or transfer or get kicked off the team"

I will take my odds on the 5 scholarships for 4 stars working out over the coaches sons any day of the week .

"Why dump Schuess"

Because he isn't good.

"Grow up"

Seems you should take your own advice . Heck you can't even have a conversation without getting worked up and name calling .

Jan 21, 2016, 3:56 PM

You already said they should be kicked off the team if they aren't performing. Better off pulling for a SEC or pro team then.

Jan 21, 2016, 4:01 PM

Clemson doesn't suggest transfer like every D1 school ? Are you living in La La Land ? Yes if they aren't performing or show improvements by year 3 then yes we should suggest a transfer like we already do .

Jan 21, 2016, 4:03 PM

Being real about PT and showing people the door are two totally different things. Stop trying to dig yourself out of a hole.

Jan 21, 2016, 4:07 PM

"Being real about PT and showing people the door are two totally different things"

You can word it however nicely you want the end result will always be the same.

Jan 21, 2016, 4:08 PM

Not really how you want it done is forcin them out, the other option allows them to stay if they wish.

Maybe A Clemson Diploma means something to them?

Jan 21, 2016, 4:11 PM [ in reply to Re: What a DOOOOOSH ]

You probably need to take it up with people that can do something about it.

Please let us know how your suggestion is greeted?

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Okay...

Jan 21, 2016, 5:51 PM [ in reply to Re: What a DOOOOOSH ]

"If you "coached" Greenlee then you would know what grade his is in and clearly you don't"

If you would like to see my transcript, I will happily show you the proof of my internship at Daniel from 2012-2013. I was Greenlee's mentor; that kid was the heart and soul of our team and I have no doubt that he continues to be a great influence among our current Tigers.

"Heck you can't even have a conversation without getting worked up and name calling"

I wouldn't say I was upset, but I can't deny the name calling. But hey, if you make a douchy comment, am I not allowed to express my opinion as well? Maybe you need a little thicker skin. On the other hand, it was slightly offensive to have you question the integrity of my serious post....guess it goes both ways

"Should I have said bring the kid in and show him the depth chart and suggest a transfer?"

Uh, yeah, context is key in this situation. Big difference between the two, even if the results end up being the same. Sitting a kid down, having that talk, and letting the player CHOOSE whether they want to stay or not is not the same as "showing them the door." Even if you meant the more formal approach, it was not implied. Therefore, if you do not want to be called a ######, don't give people a reason to think you are being one.

Who knows, more likely than not, Greenlee will become a TJ Burrell, stay here for 4 years as a special teams mainstay, and be gone. His contributions won't show up in the stat sheet, but they will be felt and manifested elsewhere down the road. Knowing DJ, he may very well come back as a coach in the future. He may produce a blue-chip son down the road. He may not. I just think it's a shame the way you are so quick to dismiss these young men who are a part of Clemson and treat them as a business commodity.

"Why dump Schuess"

"Because he isn't good"

^^^^Exhibit A. We were 1 more hit on Cole Stoudt away from relying on Schuessler to carry us last year. Now what are we supposed to do? Thanks Schuess but we don't need you anymore? Does that make us no better than Spurrier? Schuessler came here to back-up Tajh's backup. He knew Deshaun was next. He is here to be a backup Quarterback, and until he decided to leave or exhausts his eligibility, that's what he will be.

"I will take my odds on the 5 scholarships for 4 stars working out over the coaches sons any day of the week"

No argument here. Completely agree. But, I am willing to let one scholarship a year or so get away to a legacy recruit or a walk-on. Frankly, I just like it. I like having Brian Dawkins son here. It's good karma. Not trying to convince you otherwise, just stating how I personally feel.

Anyways, I feel for these kids on a personal level and I feel like some people overlook the importance of the role players. There's a lot that goes on behind the scenes that can have just as big of an effect as raw talent level. Team chemistry is vital for the stability of the program. Too many alpha-dogs in the same room and you end up with a situation like Ohio State. If we have to eat a couple scholarships to maintain our image and keep the good vibes flowing, then so be it.

Bottom line, We just went to the national championship with all those guys on scholarship. IT'S GOING TO BE OKAY! :)

FYI

Jan 21, 2016, 6:59 PM [ in reply to Re: What a DOOOOOSH ]

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=1548852&tstart=0

Jan 21, 2016, 5:06 PM [ in reply to Re: Im talkin "gimme/legacy" scholarships ]

Wow thank god you have no say so about our program.

null

Jan 21, 2016, 5:26 PM

"Wow thank god you have no say so about our program"

Should we keep Brad until 2030 ? Will that be enough time ?

Jan 21, 2016, 5:30 PM

I have said numerous times that if we dont see vast improvement in our bball program he should be fired next year.

Nice try though. I am sorry you are incapable of basic reading.

null

There you go again

Jan 21, 2016, 5:56 PM [ in reply to Re: Im talkin "gimme/legacy" scholarships ]

"Should we keep Brad until 2030? Will that be enough time?"

Giving Brad until next year is giving him 1 more year. Giving him until 2030 is giving him 14 more years. You have context issues. Obviously you were being sarcastic, but it just makes you sound ignorant and unrealistic. Giving Brad a year in the new arena is realistic. Giving Brad 4 more years in the new arena is not.

It's the same thing as "showing him the door" vs. "breaking down the depth chart, suggesting a transfer, and honoring player's wishes"

It makes a huge difference

Re: There you go again

Jan 21, 2016, 6:05 PM

"Should we keep Brad until 2030? Will that be enough time?"

I wasn't being serious with this post thought it was clear guess it needs this /

I get the feeling that you...

Jan 21, 2016, 6:41 PM [ in reply to Re: Im talkin "gimme/legacy" scholarships ]

have a son, nephew or close friend that was not offered by Clemson in the last several years and you think they would have been offered if not for the "legacy" scholarships. hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Re: I get the feeling that you...

Jan 21, 2016, 6:45 PM

No I'm from South Florida but I did have a couple friends walk-on at Clemson that I've know from when I lived in South Carolina .

Jan 21, 2016, 6:51 PM

what does being in S Florida have to do with it. We do recruit players from Florida....I still think my statement is correct

Jan 21, 2016, 6:53 PM

Sammy and Mike got scholarships if I'm correct right ?

you mean like the Davis kid that made the 1st tackle of the

Jan 21, 2016, 4:35 PM [ in reply to I wouldnt call 4 out of 85 ]

game last Monday? Seriously. This guy is on the field as a FR and making the first tackle of the game and people are f-ing questioning them ...unreal.

it's a bit more than 4***

Jan 21, 2016, 6:45 PM [ in reply to I wouldnt call 4 out of 85 ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You don't think it helps

Jan 21, 2016, 2:28 PM [ in reply to Re: This again? Really? ]

to have 4 kids who have family ties here, who are great kids from great families who will represent the school well? You don't think it helps to have those kids show recruits around? You don't think they'll help our GPA and graduation rates?

Think big picture for a minute. Maybe those kids are way more of an asset than you think.

^^^^^^^^this, spot on and basically my entire argument

Jan 21, 2016, 2:40 PM

Maybe we are the same person with different handles....

Wait, WUT??

Are you robertn or IBWG?

Jan 21, 2016, 2:42 PM

Asking for my friend, PsychoTea.

They call me

Jan 21, 2016, 5:58 PM

Crump

Are you really robertn?

It's important...

Jan 21, 2016, 4:58 PM [ in reply to Re: This again? Really? ]

Have you ever been a great athlete????

Jan 21, 2016, 5:02 PM

"Have you ever been a great athlete????"

Your mother said I had great stamina

Jan 21, 2016, 5:18 PM [ in reply to Re: This again? Really? ]

Is that what you were asking?

At least

Jan 21, 2016, 2:13 PM

Phillip Rivers and Antonio Cromartie didn't play here.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

nm

Jan 21, 2016, 2:15 PM

nm

Message was edited by: tigrjm76®

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 2016 Scholarship Count

Jan 21, 2016, 2:22 PM

I have heard and considered all the points you guys are making, and I believe I still have the right to disagree with them.

Re: 2016 Schollarship Count

Jan 21, 2016, 2:28 PM

If we are looking at the numbers then it's 5 players D.J. Greenlee, Judah Davis ,J.D. Davis , Brian Dawkins,Jr.and Amir Trapp. Then you add Nick Schuessler and Adrien Dunn that's SEVEN scholarships wasted. I wonder why when the NCAA put teams on probation they take scholarships away ?

Dunn and Scheuss are different stories

Jan 21, 2016, 3:11 PM

they came in as walk-ons and were put on scholarship (I think Dunn was just put on scholarship for this season because we had an extra one)

Jan 21, 2016, 2:29 PM

The Davis twins played this past year.Judah played in 13 games and
JD played in 8.So that disputes what you said.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 21, 2016, 2:34 PM

"The Davis twins played this past year.Judah played in 13 games and
JD played in 8.So that disputes what you said"

Pretty sure they played every game on our godawful kickoff team.

Lighten up Francis

Jan 21, 2016, 2:39 PM

Somebody's gotta do it

Better than being 2 men short

Jan 21, 2016, 2:31 PM

As deroberts would say:

Siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiggggggghhhhhhhh

Jan 21, 2016, 2:36 PM

YEP, DABO HAS NO CLUE WHEN IT COMES TO RECRUITING. GEEZ, WHERE DO WE FIND THESE BANANA PEELS.

Jan 21, 2016, 2:40 PM

"DABO HAS NO CLUE WHEN IT COMES TO RECRUITING"

No one has said that . Some just wanna know why he is doing favors for former players and coaches son . When they can walk-on like Renfrow & Dabo and if they are good enough then put on scholarship

No, you are dead wrong.

Jan 21, 2016, 3:16 PM

Clemson is about family. If we have 4 of these guys on scholarship out of 80, I can live with that.

It's a message that resonates with recruits and guess what? It's working.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Re: No, you are dead wrong.

Jan 21, 2016, 3:20 PM

"Clemson is about family"

Clemson has had the family feel long before we put any of these 5 on scholarship but nice try .

Jan 21, 2016, 3:27 PM

Oh, right. Dabo doesn't use family as the centerpiece of his recruiting. Ken Hatfield, Tommy West and Tommy Bowden were way ahead of Dabo in how they promoted family.

Yeah, nice try.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Jan 21, 2016, 3:38 PM

"Oh, right. Dabo doesn't use family as the centerpiece of his recruiting"

Yeah you are right these 5 have been on scholarship since 2009. Like I said before Clemson has had the family feel long before Dabo came here . You are gonna tell me Clemson only has the family feel because Dabo uses family as the centerpiece of his recruiting ?

"it felt like a family atmosphere. It was a small town like what I grew up in so that made another plus. Ultimately I made the best decision for me" CJ Spiller on why he picked Clemson in 2006

little wonder, dabo was cj's recruiter.***

Jan 21, 2016, 3:42 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oh, and guess who recruited CJ....

Jan 21, 2016, 3:46 PM [ in reply to Re: No, you are dead wrong. ]

You really display amazing lack of knowledge about our program. I think I'm done with you.

Screw Calford.

Re: Oh, and guess who recruited CJ....

Jan 21, 2016, 3:53 PM

I know reading is HARD . I will say it again . CLEMSON has had the FAMILY FEEL LONG BEFORE DABO AND TOMMY B . Family feel isn't something new at Clemson .

Playing

Jan 21, 2016, 4:16 PM

in the national championship for the first time in 34 years is new to many. Something is different.

You aren't going to win this, you know?

null

Re: Playing

Jan 21, 2016, 4:32 PM

"You aren't going to win this, you know? "

Where

Jan 21, 2016, 4:41 PM

do you place Cannon Smith?

He's a member of The Board of Trustees son and hasn't played much.

What's your verdict?

Family or Player?

null

Re: Where

Jan 21, 2016, 4:46 PM

The one with D1 scholarships other than Clemson ?

The one ahead of DJ Greenlee on the depth chart as a RS freshman ?

Yes

Jan 21, 2016, 5:55 PM

Greenlee has played more than Smith.

I'm trying to figure out which column he's in?

Family or Player

null

Re: Yes

Jan 21, 2016, 6:12 PM

Player he had D1 offers besides Clemson . Smith will play more than Greenlee over his career bank on it .

Jan 21, 2016, 3:45 PM

you read to much from STS...if you are going to name the legacy recruits something at least come up with your own idea.

I for one am ok with them having scholarship. Dawkins is short but he isn't small. if he can contribute on special teams and make tackles then he has improved our team.

Confused?

Jan 21, 2016, 4:37 PM

Thinking this is STS?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If people quit responding to these coot's posts maybe they

Jan 21, 2016, 4:59 PM

would just go away. All they want is attention and all the responses just satisfies their trolling. Just move on to the next thread. JMHO.

Re: If people quit responding to these coot's posts maybe they

Jul 8, 2022, 11:03 AM

Yep this "COOT" attended all but two home games and the National Championship this year.

Jan 21, 2016, 5:03 PM

As a Clemson Alumni I have zero problem with Legacy scholarships. I actually love that we give them out.

null

Replies: 71
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic