Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
1st ever trip to Bobby Dodd. Any must do things?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 42
| visibility 1

1st ever trip to Bobby Dodd. Any must do things?

Sep 19, 2018, 12:14 PM

I've heard of eating at the varsity. Staying downtown near the stadium. Going to a Braves game Friday.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Couple pieces of advice

Sep 19, 2018, 12:18 PM

1. The Varsity sucks
2. The new Braves stadium is awesome
3. Pack heat and keep your head on a swivel near the stadium, or anywhere in Atlanta for that matter
4. The best part about visiting Atlanta is when you leave it (assuming you don't get shot while you're there)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: Couple pieces of advice

Sep 19, 2018, 12:25 PM

How does the Varsity suck?

Well in my opinion

Sep 19, 2018, 12:33 PM

the food is garbage, the people who work there are jerks and it's overcrowded.

Basically it got a reputation for being a must-do attraction, but in reality it's terrible. There are so many great places to eat in Atlanta, but the Varsity is not one of them.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Sep 19, 2018, 12:50 PM [ in reply to Re: Couple pieces of advice ]

The Varsity is just like the crappy college bars in downtown Clemson, just dressed up a little. Its a typical college junk food restaurant for college kids to eat at after a night of drinking. That's why it has its appeal: lots of college memories were made there by a lot of people.

I personally really like The Varisty. No the food is not good, its dive bar fast food. But the ambiance and atmosphere is kind of cool in that it has that classic, varsity college town diner kind of atmosphere. I like it, but also expect it to be a classic, college town diner with college town diner appeals and food.

Its a college tourism icon for people looking for some collegiate nostalgia, in that regard, I highly recommend it in the same way we also tell people visiting Clemson that they must go to The Esso Club or Tiger Town Tavern.

tl;dr The Varisty is GT's "Esso Club". Expect college town bar food and college town nostalgia.

Difference is Esso and TTT are places to drink alcohol

Sep 19, 2018, 12:57 PM

The Varsity is a place to eat crappy food.

I get the nostalgia thing though. I guess if you went to GT it would have more meaning, but personally I'd rather just eat at ChicFilA

BIG Difference Between Varsity and Esso

Sep 19, 2018, 3:28 PM [ in reply to Re: Couple pieces of advice ]

You go more than 50ft of the Varsity lot and you will be raped, sodomize and murdered.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 19, 2018, 6:08 PM [ in reply to Couple pieces of advice ]

Oddly enough my father went to GT 1949-1953. The varsity was a thing back then too. Nipsey Russell was a carhop at the varsity then.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nipsey_Russell

Bring home a Clemson victory.

Sep 19, 2018, 12:19 PM

Weird things happen down there.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Re: 1st ever trip to Bobby Dodd. Any must do things?

Sep 19, 2018, 12:21 PM

My wife and I are going down Friday night for our 1st anniversary trip. Friday night we will drive in, maybe catch a late dinner at the Vortex if it's not too late.

Saturday morning we're going to head to the College Football HOF...all educators get free entry on Saturday, so we will get in free with her work badge. Then the game at 3:30 and dinner at Ted's Montana Grill Saturday night...I highly recommend the Bison Delmonico Ribeye.

Saturday night we're checking into an Airbnb across the street from East Lake and going to the tour championship on Sunday. Can't wait to see the Sunday action.

I've very familiar with Atlanta (used to work for a large company HQ'd in Atl, so many business trips), but have never been to Bobby Dodd. We're planning on buying tickets day-of. Is there anything we should be wary of buying tix on gameday?

I'm looking forward to cashing in for some $2 bills and spreading them heavily around Atlanta :)

Sep 19, 2018, 1:38 PM

Vortex is great. Love the Elvis burger.

I've been sold counterfeit tickets outside of Bobby Dodd

Sep 19, 2018, 1:38 PM [ in reply to Re: 1st ever trip to Bobby Dodd. Any must do things? ]

twice!

Buy your tickets on Stubhub and save yourself the trouble.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg2012_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 19, 2018, 2:07 PM [ in reply to Re: 1st ever trip to Bobby Dodd. Any must do things? ]

I read the first two lines of this comment and was like "Hey! we're doing the same thing!" and then I saw the next line and was like "wait a minute..." and then I was sure you're that Clemson guy I claim ;)

Love you, can't wait!

***Also, I don't trust scalpers in ATL, I've been watching Stubhub & Vividseats. They aren't allowed near the gates at Bobby Dodd so you can't make them walk to the scanner with you.

The Vortex is okay....***

Sep 19, 2018, 4:28 PM [ in reply to Re: 1st ever trip to Bobby Dodd. Any must do things? ]

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 19, 2018, 12:25 PM

Check out CV the Georgia Aquarium is actually very nice. Buy your tickets online now if you are wanting to go. It's a 2 to 3 hour standby wait if you don't

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 19, 2018, 12:29 PM

I hate to voice the negatives of attending in Atlanta, but I have seen 5 Clemson - GT games there in the past 20 years. To me, the best approach is to arrive just prior to the game and leave as soon as it ends. The GT students have been vulgar to my party, especially if they play us a close game. Avoid the panhandlers that will be lining the sidewalks to the stadium. We typically park at a MARTA station outside of Atlanta and take the train so that we don't have to deal with finding a parking spot and then also deal with the traffic. I have found the MARTA system to be safe during all of my times of using it.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree with the MARTA choice. I hate driving into Atlanta***

Sep 19, 2018, 12:33 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Flying in from Richmond and spending 2 night downtown.***

Sep 19, 2018, 1:02 PM [ in reply to Re: 1st ever trip to Bobby Dodd. Any must do things? ]

Sep 19, 2018, 1:03 PM [ in reply to Re: 1st ever trip to Bobby Dodd. Any must do things? ]

x2

GT fans are atrocious. They are a bunch of nerds that dont understand football, and only attend games just so they can be as vile as possible towards the other fans. Its horrible.

Last year at the GT game, during pregame, some GT students along with their parents recited a bunch of vile words during the pledge of allegiance and prayer during pregame just because they wanted to get under people's skin. It was an entire family yelling as loud as they could a mock pledge to the effect of:

"We pledge allegiance, to the Fascist and Genocidal symbol for which this totalitarian empire stands. One reich, ruled by nazis..."

Likewise, during the prayer, they loudly screamed something to the effect of "oh great and mighty zombie jesus floating in the sky...."

I do not support religion and I consider myself an Independant. When it comes to the pledge, I think you should be allowed to sit, stand, speak, stay quiet, whatever because I believe in upholding the 1st Amendment. But I don't support being a completely classless piece of trash, and every time I've encountered a GT fan at a game, they've always embodied that description.

Could not agree more

Sep 19, 2018, 1:26 PM

Closest I've ever been to getting into a fight with opposing fans was with GT fans who were being vulgar. Also had GT fans steal my tailgating grill the night Gameday was in town and we shut down Megatron.

Re: Could not agree more

Sep 19, 2018, 1:40 PM

I've lived in ATL since '06 and been to every game here. Never had any issues with GT fans, despite Clemson only having won one game here in that span.

Some of my worst opposing fan experiences have been at GT

Sep 19, 2018, 1:41 PM [ in reply to Re: 1st ever trip to Bobby Dodd. Any must do things? ]

Their students are vile, vulgar, and downright disgusting to opposing fans. Awful and very surprising considering the reputation of the school.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg2012_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Some of my worst opposing fan experiences have been at GT

Sep 19, 2018, 3:31 PM

GT fans are not football fans.

They dont understand or care about football.

The GT fans that go to football games are the same kinds of nerds that sit on their computer and scream horrible vulgar things at other people online because they dont have the emotional intelligence or social development skills to realize losing a World of Warcraft match is not the end of the world.

The same nerdy kid that screams vulgar, racist obscenities at people over online video games is the EXACT type of person that attends Georgia Tech games, and they bring that same type of behavior with them.

I will never go to another game in Bobby Dodd. They are the most vile and obscene fans I have ever met and they do it on purpose to see how edgy they can be to get the best reaction from fans.

Sep 19, 2018, 12:29 PM

I enjoyed the College Football HOF. When I visited they had the big glass case out front with the national title trophy and a Clemson helmet. :)

Pink Pony still around?***

Sep 19, 2018, 12:32 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Go downtown near the Omni and ask for Squirrel

Sep 19, 2018, 12:49 PM

He usually sleeps in a box near the parking garage . He will give you a tour of some of the more unknown attractions in the city.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

'I Cannot Sanction Your Buffoonery'

Re: Go downtown near the Omni and ask for Squirrel

Sep 19, 2018, 1:08 PM

Sorry but there is no independent in religion. You are either in or out as everyone will find out in the future.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Here is my history with the Bees

Sep 19, 2018, 1:06 PM

...here is some data related to the upcoming Clemson vs Ga Tech game that you might want to consider.

My streak of attending in person Ga Tech games was ended after I reviewed this data.

October 29, 2005 Atlanta, GA Georgia Tech 10–9 (took a customer to the game in ATL)
October 21, 2006 Clemson, SC #12 Clemson 31–7 (missed this game on a trip with the in-laws)
September 29, 2007 Atlanta, GA Georgia Tech 13–3 (my brother talked me in to flying in and meeting him for the game)
October 18, 2008 Clemson, SC Georgia Tech 21–17 (took my NCR rep to this game, litteraly got a nose bleed in the second quarter that was a problem the rest of the game)
September 10, 2009 Atlanta, GA #15 Georgia Tech 30–27 (free tickets, and used some Hilton points to make a weekend of it with my wife)
December 5, 2009 Tampa, FL #12 Georgia Tech 39–34 (spent a lot of money to go see this one)
October 23, 2010 Clemson, SC Clemson 27–13 (was going, but son got hurt the night before and gave my tickets to a pal.)
October 29, 2011 Atlanta, GA Georgia Tech 31–17 (Brother backed out on me at the last minute , went anyway, gave my other ticket away to a guy wearing orange,later saw him in the game in yellow and black)

I swore off the bees as a live venue at that point. Things have gotten better for the series since then. I am thinking about going Saturday. I will let you know what I decide. If I decide to go, you might want to go "All in"

Don't you even think about going...

Sep 19, 2018, 1:43 PM

lol

Sep 19, 2018, 1:07 PM

Lock your doors

Sep 19, 2018, 1:16 PM

Varsity = Overrated, I live in ATL maybe eat there once every 10 years. DO NOT EAT IT BEFORE THE GAME YOU WILL REGRET IT @ HALFTIME!

Go to the college football HOF if you have time. Also a HS football game is always fun

DO NOT RIDE THE FERIS WHEEL!

Some things to do in ATL

Sep 19, 2018, 1:16 PM

1 - Varsity - Agree with most of what was said here. It's okay fast food, the ambience is average but it's still a tradition and I usually sitll go.
2 - Definitely get to the college football HOF.
3 - If you want actual good food / diveish bar atmosphere - try the Vortex. The one in mid-town is closest to GT.
4 - The Aquarium is really good but it takes several hours to appreciate.
5 - If you like beer I'd hit Sweetwater 420's brewery. They've typically got a band outside on weekends.

Also I wouldn't worry to much about being in most of these places. I would say to definitely lock vehicles and keep valuables out of site in your car if you park in a surface lot. The people I know who have had issues were all vehicle break-ins. I've personally never had issues anywhere in ATL, that includes Turner Field, several trips to GT, Peach Bowl, and anywhere in downtown or midtown.

Ditto on the Midtown Vortex

Sep 19, 2018, 1:29 PM

Good burgers and tots. Baseball stadium is awesome. Great historical exhibit. Also, good zoo. Aquarium overall is impressive but for quality of life they are one of the worst cetacean facilities in the world. Screw them.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Ditto on the Midtown Vortex

Sep 19, 2018, 1:34 PM

Head over to Clermont Hotel. Get pre-dinner drinks at their new rooftop bar. Get dinner at Tiny Lou's. Then head down to the Clermont Lounge for some post-dinner entertainment.

Sep 19, 2018, 1:57 PM

I used to live in the highlands. the new cleremont hotel is beautiful. I love taking people down to the cleremont lounge for a surprise.

If you want to have an awesome steak dinner try kevin Rathbun steak. Order the dry aged porterhouse for 2.

If you want a more laid back environment with great food and beer check out Atkins park(the restaurant not the park on google maps) it's on north highland ave.

If you love thai food you have to hit panita thai kitchen. It's in an old house on the corner of north highland and Greenwood ave.

You won't need a gun unless you're planning on visiting bankhead. Don't go there.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 19, 2018, 2:14 PM

Nice. I've lived in the Highlands for nearly 10 years. Atkins is about as good of bar food as you can find. I also love Whiskey Bird in Morningside.

Sep 19, 2018, 1:35 PM

Yes, it's cholesterol on a plate, but if it's just a one time deal, eat at The Varsity. It's like eating at The Beacon in Spartanburg, only better in my opinion!

Get a flower from one of the Moonies.........***

Sep 19, 2018, 1:42 PM

Chop block Paul Johnson.

Sep 19, 2018, 1:45 PM

Thnks.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Win !!!***

Sep 19, 2018, 2:15 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

World of coca-cola, Georgia Aquarium...

Sep 19, 2018, 4:25 PM

And if you're hungry go to Ann's Snack shop near Decatur(Known for their 'World Famous' Ghetto Burger)....

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 19, 2018, 7:37 PM

Don’t do the varsity it’s not what it’s worked up to be

1. Get out alive...2. avoid Varsity (see numer 1)***

Sep 19, 2018, 7:49 PM

Replies: 42
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic