Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
#19 Wisconsin FAVORED by 1.5 over the coots?!!
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 38
| visibility 1

#19 Wisconsin FAVORED by 1.5 over the coots?!!

Dec 20, 2013, 10:44 PM

Wow.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It opened at Wisconsin -3***

Dec 20, 2013, 11:18 PM

2012_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: #19 Wisconsin FAVORED by 1.5 over the coots?!!

Dec 20, 2013, 11:29 PM

SEC?

I think it will be super close. South Carolina has a pretty solid defense but Florida really gashed them on the ground and even Hot Rod McDowell had a pretty good game as well. We know Wisconsin can do one thing well and that is run the football with James White and Melvin Gordon. I can still think USC probably wins it, but if they go into it with the whole "we are the SEC, there's nothing to worry about" attitude then they will get beat.

Dec 21, 2013, 8:58 PM

Florida gashed our defense? They barely had 200 yards rushing, only scored 14 points and were held scoreless for the final 44 minutes of the game?

South Carolina baseball since 1975: 31 NCAA Tournament appearances including a streak of 14 straight / 12 Super Regional appearances/ 11 College World Series berths / 5 National Championship game appearances / National Champions in 2010 and 2011. The Gamecocks hold 3 NCAA records for postseason success: The most consecutive NCAA tournament wins (22) / The most consecutive wins in the College World Series (12) / The most consecutive home NCAA tournament wins (29).
Since 1992 The Gamecocks have competed in the SEC and have 4 SEC titles / 1 SEC tournament title / 7 SECE titles.

Dec 21, 2013, 9:00 PM

Well ain't that just peachy y'all beat a stay at home for the holidays gator team. BTW what dang bowl is Tenn in too?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 21, 2013, 9:12 PM

Relax dude. You understand the concept of responding to a position, right? A Clemson fan stated that Florida gashed us, I pointed out that they didn't. I'm not bragging about beating a bad Florida team.....there is enough bragging about beating bad teams on this board.

South Carolina baseball since 1975: 31 NCAA Tournament appearances including a streak of 14 straight / 12 Super Regional appearances/ 11 College World Series berths / 5 National Championship game appearances / National Champions in 2010 and 2011. The Gamecocks hold 3 NCAA records for postseason success: The most consecutive NCAA tournament wins (22) / The most consecutive wins in the College World Series (12) / The most consecutive home NCAA tournament wins (29).
Since 1992 The Gamecocks have competed in the SEC and have 4 SEC titles / 1 SEC tournament title / 7 SECE titles.

Dec 21, 2013, 9:23 PM

If I were any more relaxed I'd be 14 yo Bassett hound. Why do you #### coots stay on this site? Y'all are worse than a bunch of liberals at a gay concert.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 21, 2013, 9:34 PM

That is soooo ironic, because my boyfriend and I just used our welfare check to get tickets to the Indigo Girls concert!!!!!

Not surprised

Dec 21, 2013, 12:29 AM

Poor matchup for USC on the defensive side of the ball.

UF, who had no pulse on offense all season long, was able to find a very solid run game.

Which laid the plan for CU, CM abandoned run?***

Dec 21, 2013, 8:59 AM

Re: Which laid the plan for CU, CM abandoned run?***

Dec 22, 2013, 8:05 PM

We'll probably see what we should have done--run the darn ball down their throats until they stopped it!

Wisconsin should be 10-2. They are a top ten type team***

Dec 21, 2013, 12:32 AM

Dec 21, 2013, 8:01 AM

I wouldn't touch those Vegas odds with a thirty -nine-
and a half-foot pole.

Dec 21, 2013, 11:40 AM

I see what you did there, Mr. Grinch.

Dec 21, 2013, 8:17 AM

Pick 'em game sounds about right to me. Wisconsin is better than their ranking. Both teams also have the possibility of not showing up - 2nd capone and 3rd straight florida bowl for us, also probably the first time anybody on Wisconsin is not playing in the Rose Bowl.

Wisconsin is one of the few teams to hold Hyde/Miller

Dec 21, 2013, 8:51 AM

to under 100 yards each when they played. That's probably a big factor in Vegas, when looking at Davis and Shaw.

Plus they have a very effective running game of their own. Almost top 5 this season.

WHAT?!! The B1G favored over the SEC?

Dec 21, 2013, 8:52 AM

nm

Unlike the Clemson Offensive Coordinator

Dec 21, 2013, 10:45 AM

the Vegas odd makers observed how well Clemson ran the ball against South Carolina and understand the Wisconsin will pound the Gamecocks.

Their ability to contain Shaw is proven, too.

Dec 21, 2013, 10:50 AM

They held Braxton Miller to less than 4 yards per. And it isn't like he didn't try - over 20 attempts.

I think the oddsmakers are giving Wisconsin defense the edge over their offense. Just my opinion.

Dec 21, 2013, 11:18 AM

Clemson averaged 1.8 ypc on 25 of their 29 runs. (Gained 81 of your 127 rushing yards on 4 carries.) Thats why y'all didnt run the ball more. Because it got basically shutdown. Although you did run the ball more than you passed it.

Dec 21, 2013, 11:27 AM

Almost all rushing yardage includes outliers. Did you conveniently throw out the QB TFLs (not called run plays or options; i.e. plays where the QB just tries to get back to the LOS to salvage the drive) when you decided to throw out the good runs? Because the former tends to affect the average just as much.

To the uneducated football fan, they would look at your stat and think that MOST of the time, Clemson got fewer than 2 yards when it tried to run the ball.

In reality, that's not close to what happened.

Stats are a dangerous thing, and your arbitrary presentation of this one ---- in which Tajh Boyd being sacked counts the same as a run play --- proves why.

Hot Rod had close to 8 yards per carry. That's what people are talking about when referring to "the running game." And yes, the 15+ yard runs count.

Dec 21, 2013, 11:43 AM

Maybe he was referring to stats from the four years prior? Oh wait, coots don't talk about the past and Clemson fans aren't "allowed to" either.

Dec 21, 2013, 11:28 PM

Dude, we won the game four years ago too.

Dec 22, 2013, 7:54 PM

You missed my point. You say Clemson fans can't talk about the past but you are more than willing to bring up a game from 2009 or 2010 at any given opportunity.

Dec 21, 2013, 11:46 AM [ in reply to Re: #19 Wisconsin FAVORED by 1.5 over the coots?!! ]

Our D-line gave you the run - they were going upfield on almost every play looking to hit Tajh Boyd.

When you play Clemson you play to stop the pass first

Reason is: Badgers high on O & D stats..much better than SC.

Dec 21, 2013, 2:40 PM

GoTiGS!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Reason is: Badgers high on O & D stats..much better than SC.

Dec 21, 2013, 3:30 PM

My take was that the SC D sold out on preventing Clemson from having any success throwing deep. I believe the SC coaching staff had that game plan in place, and dropped the FS back in pass coverage all game while sending the DL after Taj for pressure. They knew they would be giving up some rushing yards but chose their poison. Against Whisky, they will not fear the deep ball and know they will have to focus on the Whisky run game. It is a chess match, and every game is different. Clemson coaches are hopefully coming up with a winning game plan for OSU, one which picks it's own poison but is the winning formula. Spurrier knew exactly what he was going to do on D and O in the last game, and he chose to shut down Taj's passing attack in that game.

Dec 21, 2013, 9:06 PM

Uhh Ohhh. He's on to something! You stop Tajh, you stop #1 and #2. Some draw plays will burn you, but that isn't how Clemson wins games.
Clemson chose to stop our RBs at all costs. It was a plan, but didn't work.

Dec 21, 2013, 10:37 PM [ in reply to Re: Reason is: Badgers high on O & D stats..much better than SC. ]

Well said. I would add that the nature of our 4-2-5 defense makes it a better matchup vs. spread teams than power teams

Dec 21, 2013, 6:21 PM [ in reply to Re: #19 Wisconsin FAVORED by 1.5 over the coots?!! ]

Well that's not the discussion; you were trying to paint the picture that outliers were responsible for Clemson's good rushing numbers, when you failed to throw out the outliers on the opposite end of the distribution (i.e. Tajh Boyd's "runs" that occurred on non-called runs.).

I won't argue against the fact that SCAR played a light box. But guess what, most college teams run nickel as their primary defense against teams that play with 3WRs.

Part of the advantage of running with 3WRs is that you benefit from the tradeoff of being able to run against a light box, just like the defense benefits from having a faster guy cover a receiver. It's, for all intents and purposes, a zero sum game - which is why teams run different schemes.

That's just how the game is played --- you're not "giving" anyone the run. You're playing so as to not have a linebacker covering a slot receiver on every play.

Of course you dropped your safeties deep, just like pretty much any defense would with Sammy Watkins and Martavis Bryant on the field.

Clemson had success running the football because it executed well when Chad called the plays.

Hey, you won. But you're listing the wrong reasons.

Dec 21, 2013, 8:11 PM

If the objective of the game was to win, than any game plan employed which accomplished that goal would have to be called successful. If SC needed to take away the Clemson pass game in order to win, and hence gave up more rushing yards as a consequence, then that was their decision. Again,it is a chess match, coaches have to pick their poisons, and ultimately live with their decisions. Would have been interesting if Clemson had not turned the ball over six times, but that played into all of the game time decisions each staff was forced to make, and in truth, I would have to state that it says something about team preparation prior to the game, but people here will blister me for saying that. The one aspect that would bother me most from a Clemson POV is that the in game adjustments to things like the QB draw were absent and that the WC plays from SC were used to draw in a D until SC adjusted and placed the dagger with that WC fake run/pass play. It was great coaching and set up all game long, waiting for the right time to employ. That was just great coaching.

Dec 21, 2013, 6:28 PM

OK

Wisky should control

Dec 21, 2013, 6:57 PM

Both lines of scrimmage against the Gruntstains . Can you say beating. Clowney might cry like he did after Florida 2012.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Re: #19 Wisconsin FAVORED by 1.5 over the coots?!!***

Dec 21, 2013, 8:45 PM

4-2-5 defense

Dec 21, 2013, 8:54 PM

We run a 4-2-5 base defense, so we usually only have 2 linebackers on the field, with one extra hybrid safety/linebacker (spur is what we call that position). This defense places more speed on the field, so you can avoid having a LB covering a slot receiver. IMO this is the best way to defend Clem's explosive offense, and had been key to our success against the Tigers. Think about how many plays devonte holloman made in these games (although he only played the "spur" position his senior year).

Tell'em Cootie***

Dec 21, 2013, 9:18 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Don't mean much, they won't beat USuC***

Dec 21, 2013, 9:22 PM

Dec 21, 2013, 11:45 PM

Sports line is greatly affected by popularity and size of fan base.

Coots

Dec 22, 2013, 12:14 AM

Are still sec lowlifes, they only changed it to keep from every other sec team from being favored minus auburn. Sec clearly has the best match ups in their favor vs any other conference this bowl season. B1G is awful minus MSU and oh st.

Replies: 38
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic