Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Are the bowls on their way out?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1,330

Are the bowls on their way out?

Jan 2, 2020, 7:10 PM

Remember when there were four major bowls and the Gator was the consolation prize.

In other words ... spots in post season for 10 teams, period.

Are we headed for something like that again?

If not maybe we should be.

Star players sitting out bowls is an indication of the value the bowls actually carry these days.

Hardly anyone cares.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes, except the Rose.

Jan 2, 2020, 7:13 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The best argument for playoff expansion

Jan 2, 2020, 7:14 PM

is to keep more bowls relevant

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

hate Expanded playoff. Going to end up with 2-3 loss

Jan 2, 2020, 7:20 PM

SEC champion like Bama more times than not

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: hate Expanded playoff. Going to end up with 2-3 loss

Jan 2, 2020, 7:24 PM

One reason they may survive is all the TV coverage these days. That pays the bills even if few fans show up at the game.

Re: hate Expanded playoff. Going to end up with 2-3 loss

Jan 2, 2020, 7:25 PM [ in reply to hate Expanded playoff. Going to end up with 2-3 loss ]

I respect Bama but don’t care for them. However I do think they would have given LSU a better game with a back up QB then OU did.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They would beat LSU in a rematch

Jan 2, 2020, 7:27 PM

Like most of the other times rematches have happened in post season

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yup.***

Jan 2, 2020, 7:40 PM [ in reply to The best argument for playoff expansion ]

Re: Are the bowls on their way out?

Jan 2, 2020, 7:24 PM

as long as they make money, they aren't going away. The main goal of any organization is survival, including a bowl.

Money also why conference champ games aren't going anywhere. What conferences want to give away the money generated by them.

Jan 2, 2020, 7:28 PM

Exactly. It's also why you won't see teams drop back down to 11 game schedules. Schools aren't going to give up that extra home game.

Jan 2, 2020, 7:25 PM

We'll keep seeing the bowl games as long as they have companies willing to sponsor the games, and advertisers willing to pay for commercials.

Jan 2, 2020, 7:33 PM

The "minor" bowls remain valuable because they represent additional practice time and prep for the following season. As long as sponsors pony up enough money, they ain't going anywhere. The clock will never be turned back. Players sitting out certainly is a damper.

It's more than just about attendance.

The Rose Bowl is completely on another level from the others. It is a truly special event that is greater than just the teams competing in it.

I think ultimately the high level bowls will become part of playoffs.

Jan 2, 2020, 7:39 PM

The top 4 are already technically in existing bowl games, and eventually we're going to end up selecting another 2 or 4 bowl games where the winner advances. The bowl locations and names will remain. For instance, I'm sure the Rose Bowl winner would love a shot at advancing.

Thing for our expansion detractors to realize is, we're not going to remain undefeated every year. One day it will be us with 1 or 2 losses, wishing we had a chance to get hot and advance. In all levels of all sports, there are teams with lesser records who arent defined as one of the best, but then survive and advance to play for and win championships.

Pick 4 more bowls and let the winners advance. I think historical sports data can back up that some of these teams will make a push. One day we're gonna be in the position of winning a major bowl and wanting a chance to advance.

Jan 2, 2020, 7:39 PM

I mean I like watching football, to me it goes hand in hand with the holiday season, I love that. But the caveat is, it’s gotta be respectable football.

I need that Army versus Navy game and one or both making a bowl game after that. That’s just a side note, I know changing bowl season wouldn’t have any effect on that game, but that particular game kinda sets up the holiday season and the bowl games there after.

Jan 2, 2020, 8:04 PM

I think they will go to jamboree type games with 4 teams alternating quarters. This way you have 4 teams fans buying tickets and filling hotel rooms and restaurants. Nobody wins and everybody gets a participation trophy.

Replies: 14
| visibility 1,330
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic