Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Denzel Johnson and Nolan Turner?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

Denzel Johnson and Nolan Turner?

Aug 28, 2018, 9:59 AM

Any insight on how much they'll contribute this year? Seems like everyone is worried about corner but I haven't heard these guys names and they're both second on D.C.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Denzel Johnson and Nolan Turner?

Aug 28, 2018, 10:04 AM

wait, doest that mean they will be calling the plays if BV goes on the field too often and gets kicked out??

Aug 28, 2018, 10:29 AM

depth at safety is horrifying

Aug 28, 2018, 10:40 AM

depth at safety is horrifying

Johnson and Turner have played a boatload of snaps this Spring...and nobody seems to worry about them much. Which says a lot.

Johnson was a 2-star...but keep in mind he was a 4-star-caliber athlete Clemson stuck with late because he really turned it on academically as a senior and got himself qualified. What was keeping him a 2-star (as opposed to a 4!) was his comparative lack of offers...nobody had thought he was going to qualify and the market for guys on the JUCO track is...limited. He's still a bit of a project player but he assuredly fits the part, athletically.

Turner is a guy we knew everything about because Dabo was so close with the late Kevin Turner. The kid can play.

Lastly, another guy we could move over is Leanthony Williams, who is a pretty good CB...but might make an even better S.

We definitely need some numbers in this class...but we've got 4 S's committed.

Aug 28, 2018, 10:43 AM

RIDDLE ME THIS. IF WE WERE SO THIN ON DEPTH AT SAFETY THEN WHY WOULD THEY MOVE SIMMONS TO LB. GUESSING THE MOT JUST NEEDS SOMETHING, ANYTHING, TO WRING THEIR HANDS ABOUT.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Unlike DOD, Simmons is a hybrid S/LB

Aug 28, 2018, 10:49 AM

DOD came to us as a linebacker but his athleticism allowed him to play like a rover... Simmons is a rover with the size to play some LB

What we are going to see with Simmons is a matchup nightmare because he is going to be in multiple spots, creating a big distraction for the QBs eyes and interrupting his mental processes

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Simmons outgrew the safety position***

Aug 28, 2018, 1:37 PM [ in reply to Re: Denzel Johnson and Nolan Turner? ]

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

no, he didn't outgrow safety

Aug 28, 2018, 4:36 PM

matter of fact Simmons and Muse both weighed in at 225 and they both are 6'2/6'3 which is prototypical NFL safety size these days...

DOD played between 220-225 at Clemson and actually weighed in at the combine in that range but Simmons skill set matches the role that DOD played better than the other recruited linebackers so he gets to be the defensive playmaker this year that DOD was the last two years. We need that versatility so that BV can create the mismatches he likes...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You get that Muse is big for a S too yes? And I don't know

Aug 29, 2018, 12:20 AM

where you came up with your "prototypical" numbers, but I pulled up the depth charts of the NFC and there are only 2 starting safeties that weighed 220, most were in the 6-1, 205 range with several in the 190s

you want a big safety because it gives more

Aug 30, 2018, 11:51 PM

options to a DC when safeties can match up with TEs that flex, run with RBs out of the backfield on passes to the backs and smother receivers off the line... richard sherman, kam chancellor and jayron kearse are the prototypes but short of modifying DNA, we can't build the prototype. Clemson has two prototypes in Muse and Simmons. Let's be clear, the prototypes are your goals but guys like brian dawkins become hall of famers even though they are not the prototype. when abilities are equal, the bigger guy is the desire and the first take... here is an old article about the NFL attempting to find bigger DBs, i.e., find the prototype...
https://www.si.com/2014/05/06/stanley-jean-baptiste-nfl-draft-tall-cornerbacks

I went through the starting safeties in the NFC and only

Aug 30, 2018, 11:59 PM

found 2 out of 32 that weighed 220, which you said was prototypical weight of an NFL S...and your 4 year old article mentioned weight where exactly?

Lol I l love your posts dero

Aug 29, 2018, 4:01 AM [ in reply to Re: Denzel Johnson and Nolan Turner? ]

Funny af and the all caps really tells you how your speaking. Oh and the “riddle me this”. Too d@mn funny.

Turner and Johnson would both be

Aug 28, 2018, 12:21 PM [ in reply to Re: Denzel Johnson and Nolan Turner? ]

Starters at SuC... Hope this helps...

Aug 28, 2018, 10:47 AM

I loved Denzel in both Equalizer 1 and 2

if you haven’t heard of their names, you haven’t been paying attention.***

Aug 28, 2018, 10:47 AM

Aug 28, 2018, 12:28 PM

Wasn't Johnson the guy that was covering Ross when he made that 1 handed catch a few weeks ago?

We have a Secret Weapon

Aug 28, 2018, 3:34 PM

Turner and Johnson are solid backups. Johnson actually played very well in spots last year.

BUT, you are all forgetting about what Dabo has rolled up his sleeves... Don't forget at Secret Agent 42! And you thought it was a joke seeing Christian in there at safety in the spring game...

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic