Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Two questions. First, on the fumbled
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1

Two questions. First, on the fumbled

Dec 30, 2018, 3:42 PM

kick return, wasn't it illegal for the ND player to come from out of bounds and be the first to touch the ball? So it would have been our ball anyway.

Second, did we run a really, really, really vanilla defense against SCAR?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The D problems against the chickens were coaching.

Dec 30, 2018, 3:46 PM

On at least half of those long plays, the DB's were still looking to sidelines for their signals as the ball was put into play.USuC's OC took advantage of that. BV corrected that before this game.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks!***

Dec 30, 2018, 3:48 PM

I hope BV watches film of UVA defense against SCAR.

Dec 30, 2018, 4:06 PM

UVA's DBs were looking for the ball, and could have had LOTS of interceptions. That's how I wish our DBs played.

Re: Two questions. First, on the fumbled

I hope so. My initial impression was that we forgot to run any defense.

you gave up 56 points****

Dec 30, 2018, 3:58 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Laying an egg on a football field...uva 28 u5c 0

Dec 30, 2018, 4:02 PM [ in reply to Re: Two questions. First, on the fumbled ]

You could not win the coastal.

Evidently your coots..

Dec 30, 2018, 5:01 PM [ in reply to Re: Two questions. First, on the fumbled ]

forgot how to play defense several years ago... that’s why we’ve scored a combined 146 points on you in the last three games.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Clemson defense overlooked u5c ...

u5c had two weeks to prepare and Flop Bentley played the game of his life. Hey...even a blind squirrel manages to find a nut once in a while.

u5c is not a particularly good team on either side of the ball and Clemson knew it. They were probably a little guilty of looking ahead to the conference championship game.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: The Clemson defense overlooked u5c ...

Dec 30, 2018, 4:02 PM

Pretty sure McClendon was sitting on some of those strategies for most of the season. The off week gave them time to implement them fully. Can you imagine telling your boss, "Hey, I've got some stuff that might help us against a conference opponent like Texas A&M" and he responds, "Hold onto this to use against Clemson"?

I agree we--fans and team alike--took their annual beatdown for granted. On the one long ball, K'von looked like he was ready to jump a midrange route only to watch the WR run right by. I think he was spoiled by our pass rush; teams never try to go deep against us because their QB never has time.

Re: The Clemson defense overlooked u5c ...

Dec 30, 2018, 4:26 PM

I think it was a combinations of getting signals in late, and we probably expected Lumpy to be his normal stubborn with the run self. USCe had a good plan and we failed to fully adjust. That said we could do anything we wanted offensively, so they were not going to win a shootout.

Looking how they played the 2nd half of the Akron game and all of the UVA game; it was the exception not the rule.

Their performance against Clemson...

Dec 30, 2018, 4:45 PM

was absolutely the exception and not the norm.

We have three years of games that more than supports that contention.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

On the fumbled KO

Dec 30, 2018, 4:29 PM

I believe the you can recover the ball if you re-establish yourself in-bounds. That is, get two feet back in the field of play before touching the ball. I never saw a replay that showed that because it was a moot point since the ball touched the sideline.

As for our defense vs SC. That problem actually started in the Duke game. Teams are using quick passes to neutralize our pass rush and also quick-snapping the ball before our defense can get set. I’m not sure that we fixed that or that ND just chose not to exploit the fact that we like to get set as late as possible so that the offense can’t get a great read.

UVA had a strong secondary and with the loss of Debo for the bowl game they really only had to defend two pass-catching threats. SC can’t generate a run game unless they are throwing it to open up the run, thus UVA had no issues containing SC.

I'll field the second question.

Dec 30, 2018, 4:42 PM

Our secondary live on the performance of our defensive line all season. Oh, not to say they didn't play well but they weren't all in, in the minds of our coaching staff.

Yes, our secondary was out of place by coaching calls against USuCk. Those coaching calls made Bently look like a Heisman candidate. The disrespect they got between then and last night was earned by them but it was instituted at the hands of our defensive coaching staff. Mostly Venables, I'd say. Anyone who couldn't see what happened during the USuCk game just wasn't keeping up.

It also put pressure on our offense to turn out a command performance to win that game. Fortunately for everyone Trevor and company did what was expected of them. That includes our offensive coaching staff.

Anyone who disagrees with me is homophobic misogynist who hates children, puppies and firemen.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 13
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic