Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
VCU Beat Reporter saying Clemson has entered...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 57
| visibility 1

VCU Beat Reporter saying Clemson has entered...

Mar 19, 2017, 9:00 PM

The mix with LSU for Will Wade.

IMHO, you have to move on Wade. He is an alum, been a great recruiting record at VCU, and can immediately improve Clemson Basketball.

I like Brownell, but he will never field more than a mediocre NIT team here at Clemson. He's had time to show he could do more, he hasn't done it. Time to move on, and Wade is low risk, high reward situation.

https://twitter.com/_codystewart/status/843622166520389632

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: VCU Beat Reporter saying Clemson has entered...

Mar 19, 2017, 9:02 PM

Encouraging!

Mar 19, 2017, 9:13 PM

rather spend that on football

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We are going to have to spend $2-$3 million for our next coach.

Mar 19, 2017, 9:15 PM

Otherwise we are just being cheap and shouldn't expect to hire or keep a successful coach.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: We are going to have to spend $2-$3 million for our next coach.

Mar 19, 2017, 9:25 PM

Does that surprise you? Spend the money and get a real coach.

Doesn't surprise me at all. I was responding to the poster above

Mar 19, 2017, 9:28 PM

who said that we should spend that on football instead.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

agree. Don't waste money on basketball

Mar 19, 2017, 9:26 PM [ in reply to Re: VCU Beat Reporter saying Clemson has entered... ]

Keep Brad until his buyout is cheaper.

Seriously? So you want to wait until his contract expires?***

Mar 19, 2017, 9:28 PM

Re: Seriously? So you want to wait until his contract expires?***

Mar 19, 2017, 11:38 PM

I agree. Brownell is not going to make us competitive on a national stage. If he thinks our program is in a solid stage he needs to go. The last game of the season shows he has no control over the team. Blowing a 20 point lead while watching the players look like a sandlot team doing a run and shoot offense with a 20 point lead is asinine. Clemson can play in the basketball market. Just hire a proven big league coach in men and women basketball.Obviously USC did that.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: agree. Don't waste money on basketball

Mar 19, 2017, 9:36 PM [ in reply to agree. Don't waste money on basketball ]

I love football and relish our national title. However, I love basketball too and miss the days when we were playing in the tournament. Basketball matters at Clemson. Football gets plenty of money. It's basketballs time to see some real support. Pay Wade what you have to and get him here.

Well this is interesting.***

Mar 19, 2017, 9:14 PM

same guy tweets that the expectation is

Mar 19, 2017, 9:16 PM

if Wade accepts, BB would be let go immediately

Link?***

Mar 19, 2017, 9:17 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Re: Link?***

Mar 19, 2017, 9:19 PM

twitter.com

I don't have a twitter account b/c I'm not

Mar 19, 2017, 9:21 PM

a teenage girl.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

you don't have to be a teenager... being a

Mar 19, 2017, 9:24 PM

girl suffices nicely

Re: I don't have a twitter account b/c I'm not

Mar 19, 2017, 9:31 PM [ in reply to I don't have a twitter account b/c I'm not ]

Could have fooled me

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

OMG.***

Mar 19, 2017, 9:39 PM

she's just calling it like

Mar 19, 2017, 9:53 PM

she see's it

Mar 19, 2017, 10:07 PM [ in reply to I don't have a twitter account b/c I'm not ]

That's Snapchat. Twitter has an older demographic. It is a great place to get realtime news and follow you favorite sports team's.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 19, 2017, 10:20 PM [ in reply to I don't have a twitter account b/c I'm not ]

i cannot like this enough. can i put this on snapchat or instagram? thx.

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

Hate to say this, but if I'm Wade

Mar 19, 2017, 9:20 PM [ in reply to same guy tweets that the expectation is ]

LSU is the better choice. Louisiana produces a ton of talent and you're the only game in town. Him being an alum is the wildcard.

No way LSU should be as down as they have been

I don't think in-state talent is that big of a deal.

If a coach today is relying on in-state talent to build a program, he is in trouble. While LSU offers an easier conference schedule, I doubt they have a new $65 million facility and I would be surprised if they pay more than us.

When you're the only major school in a state

Mar 19, 2017, 9:25 PM

loaded with talent, that's a huge advantage. Not many schools have that situation

Then why are they rarely relevant in basketball?

Mar 19, 2017, 9:29 PM

And do you consider it a better football job than Clemson as well?

Poor coaching hires. Dale Briwn had huge

Mar 19, 2017, 9:31 PM

success there

Re: When you're the only major school in a state-CU is too

Mar 19, 2017, 9:30 PM [ in reply to When you're the only major school in a state ]

just not alot of talent here

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wow! The Clemson version of March Madness!

Mar 19, 2017, 9:22 PM [ in reply to same guy tweets that the expectation is ]

I hope this is true.

Re: Wow! The Clemson version of March Madness!

Me too!

I'm actually shocked we're negotiating with a coach

Mar 19, 2017, 9:24 PM [ in reply to Wow! The Clemson version of March Madness! ]

while we still have a coach.

Re: I'm actually shocked we're negotiating with a coach

Mar 19, 2017, 9:27 PM

Maybe Drad has decided to make the change if Wade will come.

It's still not an ethical way to do it

Mar 19, 2017, 9:29 PM

unless behind closed doors they've already told Brad he's not coming back or Brad didn't agree to terms and it just hasn't been announced

Re: It's still not an ethical way to do it

Mar 19, 2017, 9:33 PM

And yet coaches do this every year....OK St coach just left a year...do you think he let OK St know he was talking to Illinois? Dan has a responsibility to Clemson...not to not hurt Brads feelings...I'm certain he was clear with him and Brads probably looking for another job or a house on Hilton Head with the millions he gets.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It isn't unethical at all.

Mar 19, 2017, 9:36 PM [ in reply to It's still not an ethical way to do it ]

Coaches do it all the time. Why can they negotiate behind the scenes but the school can't?

Unethical would be if we didn't honor our contract with Brownell. And that's not going to happen.

Re: It isn't unethical at all.

Mar 19, 2017, 9:38 PM

And of course the contract will be honored

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It certainly is. Name the last school

Mar 19, 2017, 9:41 PM [ in reply to It isn't unethical at all. ]

that hired a coach before firing their current coach. What kind of message does that send to the coaches you have or may hire

Re: It certainly is. Name the last school

Mar 19, 2017, 9:43 PM

Good chance you end up with a Muschamp type hire if you sit and wait for the games to be played and the coaches to be released...It's why the schools and coaches work through agents

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They had no coach for two months

Mar 19, 2017, 10:11 PM

and still couldn't hire someone decent. Apples and oranges. If we're even contemplating moving on just do so

I gotta think that if we are talking to Wade that DRAd

Mar 19, 2017, 9:51 PM [ in reply to It certainly is. Name the last school ]

and BB have already decided he's leaving... but they are not announcing until they work details out.

I would hope and think that's the case

Mar 19, 2017, 9:54 PM

because you know as well as I do you don't hire new coaches while you still have a coach.

Re: I'm actually shocked we're negotiating with a coach

Mar 19, 2017, 9:30 PM [ in reply to I'm actually shocked we're negotiating with a coach ]

College basketball is one of the most scumist(sp) business in America. This would register about 2 out of 10 on the scum meter.

Maybe it means that we only make a move if we think we can upgrade.

Mar 19, 2017, 9:30 PM [ in reply to I'm actually shocked we're negotiating with a coach ]

I'm good with that strategy.

Re: Maybe it means that we only make a move if we think we can upgrade.

Mar 19, 2017, 9:34 PM

Agreed...Brad has a contract that will be honored...don't feel bad for a guy who gets 3.5 million to go away

So that's how you deal with a guy who you

Mar 19, 2017, 9:36 PM [ in reply to Maybe it means that we only make a move if we think we can upgrade. ]

personally believe to be a good and honorable man? There are several guys out there who you could consider a move in a positive direction. Heck, Crean would be a huge move. Pat Kelsey is a hot young coach. If we're in a place we're even negotiating with another coach, do it the right way and just let Brad go

I don't think it is dishonorable at all. It's just business.

Mar 19, 2017, 9:40 PM

If Brad were a hot commodity and other schools were interested, would you expect him to resign from Clemson first before talking to any other schools?

Re: I don't think it is dishonorable at all. It's just business.

Mar 19, 2017, 9:46 PM

Bingo...you'd find out after the fact he has a new deal...he's on the other side of this and he will get a lot of money to walk away

There's a right and wrong way to do business

Mar 19, 2017, 9:48 PM [ in reply to I don't think it is dishonorable at all. It's just business. ]

Now maybe it's all been settled behind the scenes and nothing has been announced as of yet. But this is not normal operating procedure if Brad is still the coach.

Re: Maybe it means that we only make a move if we think we can upgrade.

Mar 19, 2017, 9:48 PM [ in reply to Maybe it means that we only make a move if we think we can upgrade. ]

No problem here either

I see your point, but in every business I've ever been a

Mar 19, 2017, 11:21 PM [ in reply to I'm actually shocked we're negotiating with a coach ]

part of, it's standard procedure. You have somebody lined up to take over before you let the old guy go. It's expected because it's just prudent from a business standpoint. It's understood that businesses are looking out for themselves and will do what's in their best interest. You know that going in; thus you have to perform.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

I'm sure it's happened, but I honestly can't tell you

Mar 19, 2017, 11:29 PM

one time I've heard of a college negotiating with a coach while they still had a coach. It's why a school like State and Illinois went ahead and pulled the trigger. If you're the coach being negotiated with, what's to say it's not going to happen to you. Schools always remove the current coach before moving on

this may just be a ploy by his agent

Mar 19, 2017, 9:34 PM

To get LSU to commit and hire wade. I just read LSU is also interested in Crean.

we should be interested in Crean too***

Mar 19, 2017, 9:37 PM

agree***

Mar 19, 2017, 9:37 PM

I was waiting to hear that. Makes to much sense

Mar 19, 2017, 9:39 PM [ in reply to this may just be a ploy by his agent ]

for them not to pursue the biggest name out there. I'd expect Oklahoma St to be in on him as well

yes... Cowboy Corner on the OKST fan site is some

Mar 19, 2017, 9:40 PM

good reading right now as they talk coaches

I just checked it out. Interesting read.***

Mar 19, 2017, 10:24 PM

Mar 19, 2017, 9:46 PM

I say !
He should be able to pay off those student loans to the gubment all the while coaching at the university where he accumulated them .
Talk about poetic .

DB23

Mar 20, 2017, 12:25 AM

http://thetandd.com/sports/basketball/sources-clemson-eyes-hiring-wade/article_e8cfb8ca-2108-54fe-bd4d-4a8f529e2b83.html

Replies: 57
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic